Author Topic: KNIGHT family of Clones, late 19thC, early 20thC  (Read 24469 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: KNIGHT family of Clones - Michael Elliott KNIGHT b. late 19thC
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi again Lynchris and Aghadowey, (and anyone else who might be able to lend a hand!)
Have just spoken on the phone to my cousin, and this Michael Elliott KNIGHT, solicitor, is the very man whose family she wanted to discover more about.
Apparently, she received a Christmas card last year from an elderly member of this KNIGHT family, (maybe a son, possibly a grandson) and she thinks she remembers that when her mother and  father were married in 1947 at Drumbeg (which is in the Londonderry area?), this man's brother was best man.
So there was quite a close association between the YOUNG and the KNIGHT family.  Do you think the researcher whose name you gave me is the best way forward, or might there be a cheaper way of pursuing this KNIGHT family further back in time in the Monaghan area.
I imagine they had quite a high profile in the County if Michael Elliott KNIGHT was a solicitor in 1910.  I wonder if it was a family firm...?
Very best wishes,
Keith
N.B. Quite surprised myself just now to find on the IGI an entry for a birth on 13-01-1869, baptism on 14-03-1869 for a Michael Elliott KNIGHT in Clones, Monaghan, parents George KNIGHT and Nannie.
I hadn't in my innocence realised that Irish parish records existed to any great extent because of the conflagration in 1916 in Dublin.
Does this mean that I might perhaps be able to trace this family back further through Record Repositories in Ireland, then...?

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 20:56 BST (UK) »
For starters, IGI on a 'Knight in Monaghan' search throws up some potential leads, including a Michael Elliot Knight born 13/1/1869 - it has a batch ref, so should be fairly accurate. Would fit for your solicitor chap in 1910 methinks.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 20:59 BST (UK) »
You could try writing to the local library or area library that carries local records and ask if they can help with M.E. Knight.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 20:59 BST (UK) »
Scotmum,
Our posts just crossed in the ether!  Thanks so much for getting onto my KNIGHT case.  I'm beginning to get quite hopeful about things...
keith

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 21:00 BST (UK) »
Looks like the parents George and Annie (nee Elliott) had a few other children too.

Seems to be a few variations on the mums name - Nannie, Ann, Annie.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 21:04 BST (UK) »
I was wondering about the "Nannie", was it supposed to be "Annie", then?  I'll print out the KNIGHT's in that batch number and sort through it now.
And, what is the general situation in Ireland about surviving parish records, by the by.  I suppose some areas are by chance better represented than others...
keith
Ah, posts stumbling over one another in my excitement - you've already answered the Annie variation question...

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 21:13 BST (UK) »
It really does vary. In similar timescale to your research (mid to late 1800's) I recently managed to track down a birth and marriage and was able to get copy certificates from the Registrars office in Monaghan Town (albeit initially they said they didn't have registers for the timescale needed). Didn't cost much either.

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 21:21 BST (UK) »
Think this might be your M E Knight too:

http://orangeroots.tripod.com/twelfthmonaghan1923.html

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 21:33 BST (UK) »
Wow! Scotmum,
That 1923 account makes very interesting reading - County Grand Master indeed!  I wonder whether the A.Y.KNIGHT mentioned was a family member too?
That Batch No. is labelled as being 1682-1733, presumably for the local church in Clones, County Monaghan.  However there seem to be distinct surges of KNIGHT family baptisms: 1694-1703; one in 1771; one in 1808; 1837-1845; one in 1856; and 1867-1871.
The family might have migrated around a bit, but maybe there was always a family home/seat in Clones.  Could perhaps this Protestant family have been one of those who settled in the area after the Battle of the Boyne and the displacement of Catholic Families; or is my grasp of the local history awry?
keith
N.B. Has the present Protestant Church in Clones been there for a while?