Author Topic: trying again THOMAS & (WILLIAM?) CRUMLISH  (Read 17075 times)

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Please help me find.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 December 04 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ticker,no luck yet still trying.I have found out that Mabel and Thomas never married even though they had 4 daughters,also that Mabels 1st husband James Schofield died shortly before she met Thomas.Mabel came from Alnwick in Northumberland.I am going to give her side a go soon and see what i can turn up on her family.Regarding Thomas i have his parents death details but nothing for Ireland,never mind i will keep plodding on and maybe i will stumble on something.Merry xmas Ticker.Anne.
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Thomas CRUMLISH - c1845
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne

I've changed the title of this thread to see if that helps to generate a response.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Ticker for yout help,you are very kind.Anne. :-*

Offline Ben Palmer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 July 05 15:03 BST (UK) »
Anne

I don’t think that I can help directly in helping you find your ancestor, Thomas Crumlish, but I have come across three people with the same name in my researches. One may be able to provide a clue that could help you.

Today, in Ireland, there are two distinct branches of the family, grouped around Moville and Letterkenny, both in County Donegal. Most of the following information comes from the latter side of the family. It appears well researched, but I have not checked any of the information myself. I’ve seen only patchy evidence of the use of naming patterns in this family, but it is enough to suggest that there may be links going back to previous generations. However, given the lack of records in Inishowen, we’ll probably never know!

Thomas Crumlish (Moville)

My grandmother was born Mary Anne Crimlisk in Moville, County Donegal. In this area the name changes on various documents from Crimlisk to Crumlisk and eventually to the present day usage Crumlish. I am told that her brother was called Thomas Crimlisk and that he lived in the townland of Stroove, at the north-easterly tip of the Inishowen Peninsula. I have no dates, but as my grandmother’s parents did not marry until 1876, it will be too late for your ancestor.

Thomas Crimlisk (Ardara to Leeds)

Thomas Crimlisk was born into the Catholic faith in the village of Ardara, County Donegal in 1804. In 1825, he married 17 year old Catherine McDevitt and in the same year enlisted in the Coastguard Service in Killybegs. In June 1825 he was posted to Dunaff Head, guarding the entrance to Lough Swilly. As five years was the maximum length of posting, to prevent the Coastguards getting too friendly with smugglers, he moved again in 1830, his time to Dunkeehan, County Mayo. In the next six years the family moved twice more – to Dulough, County Mayo and Claggan, County Galway.
In 1838, Thomas left Ireland, being posted to Rottingdean, Sussex on the French facing coast of southern England. The tour of duty on this coast lasted only fifteen months, because of the high level of smuggling across the Channel. The following year the Crimlisks moved again, this time to Flamborough on the east coast of Yorkshire.

The fifth and last son of the family was born at Flamborough on 10th August 1841 and was named Thomas. The birth was registered at Bridlington by his mother Catherine who, evidently, was unable to write since instead of a signature she made her mark in the form of a cross. On this birth certificate the occupation of the father is given as 'Preventative Service'. The baptism of Thomas took place in St. Peter's Church, Scarborough, on the 6th September 1841 and the godmother was Mary McDEVITT.

In 1842 the family moved to Filey, staying there for nine years until they returned again to Flamborough. In 1857 Thomas retired. He died on 14th March 1886 from chronic Bronchitis at 27 Union Street, Leeds, the home of his son-in law William Day.

I have a copy of a photograph of four of Thomas' sons, James, John, Francis and Thomas if you would like a scan. It was reproduced in "Patterns for Guernseys, Jerseys and Arrans" by Gladys Thompson (1969: Batford - London: Dover Publications Inc. New York) ISBN: 0-486-22703-0.

Thomas Crimlisk (Flamborough to Sheffield)

I know little about his son, Thomas, except that he was born in Flamborough, Yorkshire on 10 August 1841, and died on 24 October 1922 in Ecclesfield, Sheffield, Yorkshire. He had married Elizabeth Jenkinson (1841-1916)

I hope that something in this rather lengthy posting will be of some help to you. If you want (a little) more information about the family, please let me know.

Ben
http://www.benpalmer.co.uk/movillerecords.htm

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 July 05 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Ben,thankyou so much for your reply i havent had much response to this query i think its because its not a well searched name.I found out that Thomas parents were William and Mary unknown.I am going to have a look on Scotlands people and see what i can find there as Berwick did at one time come under Scotland.I will let you know what happens and thankyou for the link to the Donegal web site i will also have a look at that as there is quite a few Irish names in my collection now.Thankyou Ben.Anne.

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 July 05 18:54 BST (UK) »
i am posting this info in the hope it may help you track back

CRUMLISH, Mary Anne   Bir   1867   Irel   Done
Fa:   Daniel CRUMLISH
Mo:   Anne CUMLISH
CRUMLISH, Thomas   Bir   1867   Irel   Done
Fa:   Thomas CRUMLISH
Mo:   Mary MC BREARTY
CRUMLISH, Patrick   Bir   1868   Irel   Done
Fa:   Thomas CRUMLISH
Mo:   Mary MC BREARTY
CRUMLISH, Mary   Bir   1871   Irel   Done
Fa:   Patrick CRUMLISH
Mo:   Mary MC LAUGHLIN
CRUMLISH, Grace   Bir   1872   Irel   Done
Fa:   Patrick CRUMLISH
Mo:   Anne MCLAUGHLIN
CRUMLISH, Patrick   Bir   1872   Irel   Done
Fa:   Patrick Crumlish
Mo:   Rosa Mc Collum

if you want more deyails on any of the above get back to me

audrey

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 July 05 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey,thankyou so much for your help.The problem is my Crumlish were before 1850 and trying to find records that far back is near enough impossible because as you know an awful lot got destroyed or lost through the wars in Ireland,its such a shame as i have recently found quite a few Irish ancestors of which some lived and died in Ireland and others came to Scotland,i would have loved to find their origins.Just out of curiosities sake Audrey,would you know where the hand loom weaving factories were as nearly all of them were hand loom weavers.Anyway Audrey thankyou.Anne.

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 July 05 19:30 BST (UK) »
Ann
I was in Ireland just two weeks ago  my family were also growers and weavers.I went to the linen museum in Lisburn it was quite amazing I bought a book there called
FLAX to FABRIC the story of Irish Linen I had a wonderfull conversation with the lady there who told me the loom's were in the homes of the families I took some photos there was a chap weaving when I was there .The lady also told me weavers had there own stamp and would stamp their linen some of it can still be traced back to the weaver

audrey

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 July 05 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey,thats fantastic to think they done the weaving in their homes and to think there may be fabric around today that might still have their mark on it,i wish i had been with you.One day i will go to Ireland and do some research myself on my names,i have at least 10 now.I can remember telling my Uncle Tom on his 80th birthday 2 years ago{he is scottish}that i had found that some of his ancestors were Irish,{no offence to anyone Irish reading this}and his reply was theres no bloody Irish in my family.As i said he a staunch Scotsman through and through and still lives in the past,it just goes to show that no one really knows where they are from till they start doing their family tree,now i know i have Irish blood in my veins i can honestly say i am proud of it.
My dad is Scottish and my mother an English catholic,when my dad told his dad that him and mam were going to get married he went berserk and told him he would never speak to him again,needless to say mam and dad went ahead with the marriage and Grandad died soon after they married so i never met him and my dad never made peace with him.
On my mams side my Grt Grt Grandfather John Morrison was born on the Isle of Lewis and when he told his father he was marrying an Irish Catholic John was kicked of Lewis and banned from ever returning his family never spoke to him again and he was taken out of his fathers will.
I must seem like i am rabbiting on a bit but isnt it strange how thing were in those days,it must have been hard if you fell in love with someone who wasnt of your faith or nationality.Anyway Audrey sorry for going on a bit i just think its facinating suff.Thankyou again Audrey.Anne.