Author Topic: Elizabeth Parry  (Read 3351 times)

Offline peterg42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Parry
« on: Monday 15 November 10 16:09 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in what became of Elizabeth Parry, born Norton Canon, Herefordshire in 1886. In 1911 she is still unmarried and working as a parlour maid for the Bircham family in Chepstow.
I would like to know if she ever married and whether she ha any children. I'm hoping she had a daughter named Maisie. This would close a circle for me.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Parry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 November 10 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Can ypu approach it from the other angle, - when / where was Maisie born? Then her birth cert will confirm if her mum was Elizabeth
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peterg42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 November 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
No, sorry I only know that Maisie's married name was Wortley, or Workley and she lived in Hereford in 1948. I was always lead to believe that she was my mother's cousin. Mum had 3 aunts, Martha, Henrietta and Elizabeth.
With a great deal of help from Rootschat I have been able to trace Martha and Henrietta's families but not Elizabeth's. I really would like to find out about her life after 1911.

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 November 10 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Peter,

You could try a search at freebmd.org.uk for any births with christian name of Maisie and mother's surname of Parry.

This would provide the surnames of the fathers of those particular Maisies. Then look for marriages for Elizabeth Parry for each of those surnames, and see if any are a possible fit, compared to the place of birth for Maisie, and whatever you know about Elizabeth.

Perhaps also try alternative spellings such as Masey.

Offline lucyjpr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 July 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Parry is my great grandmother, so I have some information on her from the research I've done.
She remained somewhat of a mystery until recently as she was never spoken about, so much so that I didn't even know her name until last year!

Elizabeth Parry married Arthur Powell in 1915, and lived in Putley from then onwards. They had five sons and no daughters as far as I'm aware; twins Ronald and Frederick born 1916, William born 1922, Albert born 1927 and Launcelot born 1929.
Elizabeth died three months after the birth of Launcelot, aged 43, on 31st January 1930.
Launcelot was adopted by Elizabeth's sister Henrietta, married to Arthur Pryce, who I believe had recently lost a child. They lived at Bulmer Avenue in Hereford. The other sons remained in Putley.
Elizabeth is buried at Putley Church. Not sure how to attach a photo but I have a photograph of her gravestone if you're interested.

Offline peterg42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 July 17 19:07 BST (UK) »
Your Great Grandmother was a witness at the wedding of her sister (my nan) Sarah Helen to George Albert Nash Skillicorn.  in Razor Church in 1912. The skillicorns were a well to do family in Kington and family tradition has it that they did not approve of their son's marriage to a domestic servant and boycotted the ceremony. Certainly no Skillicorn was a witness although Bert had a sister with the unusual name of Guyena. However after Bert's tragic death as a POW in 1918 his mother Rachel Skillicorn (her husband John died in 1915) became more forgiving and accepted my mum Joan (Marjore Nina Joan).
Elizabeth's mother Maggie died in 1932 at Henrietta's home in Bulmer Ave. Hereford. It looks as though the family gathered there at the end because my nan reported the death.