Author Topic: 1822 Birth Montreal - John McAuliffe  (Read 9694 times)

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1822 Birth Montreal - John McAuliffe
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your help with this.

Gortonboy, I now have the military record for John and Daniel.  The one I had for John is a one-page document but what I saw on findmypast is far more complete.  But the one that I found for Daniel seems to be under another name, Peter McCabe, who was from Co. Cavan (no. 44 of the 37th Regiment).  It's very strange because even as I look at the record for Daniel McAuliffe on the website, all I can see are references to Peter McCabe.  Perhaps it's a mistake? 

Yes, that is the same John on the 1901 Census.  I have that Census record already but I appreciate your kindness.

Polarbear, I'll check out the Drouin Records next week.  Very exciting.  And I'll focus on Notre Dame of Quebec City instead of Montreal (where I had looked before).

I'm pretty sure John had left for England by 1836 but between then and 1861, I'm not exactly sure where he was.  I know that 10 of those years he was in Ceylon and 3 in America (but America, as you know, is pretty big place especially if you include North and South America!).  I don't see any indication of his location on the discharge records.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 00:24 GMT (UK) »
hi,,sorry about the daniel record,,i have just had a look,,and it is indeed a record for a different man??  i have submitted an error report to findmypast  :'(
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much.  I have confirmation that I'm not going crazy!  I e-mailed info@findmypast.co.uk so hopefully they will help.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 00:32 GMT (UK) »
out of curiosity i looked up the record under the name of peter mccabe,,,that is also the wrong record !!!
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 00:34 GMT (UK) »
You can't win for losin'!

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 00:51 GMT (UK) »
just had a look here
Births , GRO REGIMENTAL BIRTH INDICES (1761 to 1924)1761 - 1924

there is a birth of a Thomas McCauliffe in Cork in 1816 of the 37th regiment ,,volume 1102  page 1

just wondered if Daniel could have been serving in Cork at some point?  worth keeping a note of the details,just in case you get further info,,you can order these bith certs from the GRO.

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I suppose it's possible that Daniel might have been in Cork in 1816.  I don't know exactly when he left Ireland for Canada.  All I know is that, by about April 1822, he was in Canada.  And he must have brought his wife with him because she ended up having a baby in Canada in 1822.  I somehow he doubt he met her while vacationing near the St. Lawrence River at Quebec City.

I wonder if the record you found gives the mother's name.  Because if it gave some form of Mary O'Donoghue, I'd know for sure.  But it does sound likely...

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 11:48 GMT (UK) »
The record is just the reference you would need if you ever decided to order the birth certificate. The certificate will give mother and fathers name.It would cost you £10 to find out if its correct though  ;)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Seems this Thomas also joined the  regiment age 11!! So probably not related..as Daniel had left for Canada by this time ?  ;)