Author Topic: The next move..  (Read 15715 times)

Offline tidge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The next move..
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 March 20 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Haven't posted before so hope this follows the rules. Also last posting was a few years ago so hope this isn't too late.
I went to Costessey primary school from 1948 to 1950 with Sammy (Mooshy) Drake,  the son of Walter (Bluey) Drake and Bella. They lived at Linalls Belt, West End, Old Costessey, in a house Bluey had built using standing trees for scaffold posts. They had about 12 acres of land, mostly woods and meadow, which had been part of Costessey Park, bordering the NE of Tower Hill. At the time my father owned Costessey Park Farm, now a golf course, where we lived. He sold Costessey Park in 1950 'ish, and bought Linalls Belt from Bluey Drake, and we lived there until the of 1954.
Hope this provides a little background.FBYVU

Offline rosieM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 March 20 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Haven't posted before so hope this follows the rules. Also last posting was a few years ago so hope this isn't too late.
I went to Costessey primary school from 1948 to 1950 with Sammy (Mooshy) Drake,  the son of Walter (Bluey) Drake and Bella. They lived at Linalls Belt, West End, Old Costessey, in a house Bluey had built using standing trees for scaffold posts. They had about 12 acres of land, mostly woods and meadow, which had been part of Costessey Park, bordering the NE of Tower Hill. At the time my father owned Costessey Park Farm, now a golf course, where we lived. He sold Costessey Park in 1950 'ish, and bought Linalls Belt from Bluey Drake, and we lived there until the of 1954.
Hope this provides a little background.FBYVU

Wow! I'll say. That's a real interesting piece of history😁 thank you so much. These are things us younger ones would never know unless someone tells us. My aunt Rose, Bellas sister, used to live Costessey too.. And her lad Frank still lives there. Done well for himself and has a lovely place down by the Round Well Pub. He's in demolition I think. I remember Frank's dad Frank Carrara putting me high on a horse down there when I was a little dot. Scared me to death lol course many are gone now.. And I'm now the senior generation. I'll pass this on to my cousins.. They will be thrilled too. Many thanks once more.  ;D
Price Lincoln
Kilvington Yorks
Parnham - Notts/Yorks/Grimsby/Louth/Derbyshire
Hardwick - Hull Yorks/Poole Dorset
Hattrick Ireland/Doncaster
Ray/Reay/Wray/ -Hull Yorks
Dann - Dannet/Louth Lincs
Keal - Louth Lincs
Lindley -
Cunningham -Hull/Louth/Yorks
Hollis - Notts/Yorks
Wilson - Yorks/Notts/Boston
Russell - Market deeping lincs
Morris - Bedfordshire
Mobbs- Lincoln
Smiths - Yorks/Lincoln
Gray - Yorks /Derbyshire
Bramwell - Chesterfield/Derby/Louth
Taylor Lincs/Derbyshire
Bostock - Derbyshire

Offline tidge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 March 20 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Another memory from Costessey in the very early 1950's is of a very smart lady who used to drive through the village in a pony and trap. I knew of her as "old" Mrs Drake, and she lived at Poplar Farm, West End, Costessey. Possibly she was "Golia" referred to in the ancestor chart above, wife of Jimmy Drake, Bluey's father.
No doubt you've seen Joemasonspage entitled Old Costessey and Bacon, in which he tells an amusing anecdote about Bluey Drake.https://joemasonspage.wordpress.com/2011/12/30/old-costessey-2/

Offline rosieM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 15 March 20 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Another memory from Costessey in the very early 1950's is of a very smart lady who used to drive through the village in a pony and trap. I knew of her as "old" Mrs Drake, and she lived at Poplar Farm, West End, Costessey. Possibly she was "Golia" referred to in the ancestor chart above, wife of Jimmy Drake, Bluey's father.
No doubt you've seen Joemasonspage entitled Old Costessey and Bacon, in which he tells an amusing anecdote about Bluey Drake.https://joemasonspage.wordpress.com/2011/12/30/old-costessey-2/

Thank you sooo much. Great pieces.. Stuff we would never know. Love it.  ;D
Price Lincoln
Kilvington Yorks
Keal - Louth Lincs
Lindley -
Hollis - Notts/Yorks
Morris - Bedfordshire
Mobbs- Lincoln
Smiths - Yorks/Lincoln
Gray - Yorks /Derbyshire
Taylor Lincs/Derbyshire
Bostock - Derbyshire

Offline tidge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 15 March 20 22:36 GMT (UK) »
At the risk of boring you, here's a link you may like to look at http://www.geocities.ws/sandgroper79/munn2.html

It was written by Tom Barley, now dead, about James (Jimmy) Drake and his friendship with Sir Alfred Munnings, the painter.

No more, I promise..

Offline rosieM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 16 March 20 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Going to look now  ;D and no, could never bore me. Send anything anytime. The family have loved it all  ;D
Price Lincoln
Kilvington Yorks
Keal - Louth Lincs
Lindley -
Hollis - Notts/Yorks
Morris - Bedfordshire
Mobbs- Lincoln
Smiths - Yorks/Lincoln
Gray - Yorks /Derbyshire
Taylor Lincs/Derbyshire
Bostock - Derbyshire

Offline Louweezwee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 21:57 BST (UK) »
I know this chat thread is a bit old, and I have never posted on one of these before so not entirely sure how it works either. But I am related to the Drakes also- I *think* the Herbert, aged 4 mentioned further back in this thread by 7blue1pink may be my g.g.grandfather... My nanny says he died when she was 11, in 1948

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 20:21 BST (UK) »
7blue1pink I am just replying to see if you are picking up your emails.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Louweezwee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 14 April 23 12:43 BST (UK) »
Descendants of Trinity May Hugh Harris (Mayhew?)

1     Trinity May Hugh Harris   b: 1827 - 1828 in Wickling, NFK or Linton, CAMBS      d: 1885 in Ling, NFK      Burial: 2 Jul 1885 Ling, NFK
.      +Mary Ann Wray   b: 1834 - 1841 in Boston, Lincs   m: Abt. 1859   d: 1883      
...   2     George Harris   b: 1856 - 1857 in Ely, Cambs      d: Aft. 1881 in Whissonsett, NFK      
......      +Hannah Melton   b: 1862   m: 3 May 1880 in Whissonsett, NFK         
........   3     John Harris   b: 1880 - 1881            
...   2     John Harris   b: Bef. 27 Mar 1859 in Watton, NFK      d: 1914      
......      +Patience Gray   b: 1861 - 1862 in Norwich, NFK   m: 29 May 1881 in Norwich, NFK   d: 1908      
........   3     Golia Lamb   b: 30 Nov 1884 in Buxton, NFK      d: 14 May 1971 in Poplar Farm, 202 West End, Costessey age 87      
...........      +Herbert James Drake   b: 16 Jan 1879 in Norwich St Clement, NFK   m: 21 Nov 1905 in Norwich, NFK   d: 1 Jul 1951 in Poplar Farm,  West End, Costessey age 72      
.............   4     Herbert J Drake   b: Oct - Dec 1906 in Aldby, NFK      d: 1948      
................      +Catherine E Rudling   b: Abt. 1906   m: Oct - Dec 1926 in Norwich, NFK   d: Bef. 1948      
.............      *2nd Wife of Herbert J Drake:               
................      +Beatrice Elsie Copland   b: 1911   m: Bef. 1948 in NFK   d: 1994      
.............   4     Ethel E Drake   b: Jul - Sep 1908 in Guist? (Mitford)      d: 1997      
................      +Reginald A Robinson   b: 1905 m: Oct - Dec 1930 in Norwich, NFK d: 1966      
.............   4     Walter Drake   b: 12 Oct 1909 in Guist? (Mitford) d: Jul - Sep 1971 in Peterborough, Nthants      
................      +Isabella Price   b: 1911   m: Jul - Sep 1929 in Yarmouth, NFK   d: 1987 in West End Costessey      
.............   4     Ena E Drake   b: Jan - Mar 1912 in NFK   d: Aft. 1951      
................      +George Smith   b: Abt. 1910   m: Jul - Sep 1932 in NFK         
.............   4     Edith Drake   b: Jan - Mar 1914   d: Aft. 1951 in West End, Costessey      
................      +Frederick Charles Barnes   b: Abt. 1911   m: Jul - Sep 1938 in Forehoe reg dist, NFK   d: Aft. 1951 in West End, Costessey      
.............   4     Audrey D Drake   b: Apr - Jun 1915 in NFK            
................      +? Walpole   b: Abt. 1915   m: Bef. 1951         
.............   4     Florence Joyce Drake   b: Apr - Jun 1917 in NFK      d: Aft. 1951      
................      +Cedric A Banham   m: Apr - Jun 1935 in Norwich, NFK         
...   2     Charles Harris   b: Bef. 16 Mar 1861 in Carbrooke, NFK            
...   2     St.Scorthin Trinity Harris   b: 1864 - 1865 in Haviland, NFK or Swaffam      d: Aft. 1911 in Newmarket, Cambs    Christened: Bef. 6 Sep 1868 Syderstone, NFK   
...   2     Patience Harris   b: 1867 in Syderstone, NFK         Christened: 6 Sep 1868   
...   2     Sarah Harris   b: Bef. 6 Sep 1868            

I am related to the Drakes. This outline is from my file. Hope it helps.

Hi Jackie,
Would be interested to know where this information came from if you are happy to share please?
Herbert Drake who married Beatrice Copland is my great grandfather, and as far as any family know he was never married before this…
His marriage cert (aged 26 in 1932) to Beatrice states that he is a bachelor. My nanny was very interested to know if he was a secret bigamist! 😂😂 so I looked into finding marriage cert for his apparent marriage to Catherine Rudling- one does exist, but is dated 1932 with Herbert aged 20 (my great granddad would have been 26!) and his father is named as George Henry Drake, my Herbert’s father was also Herbert Drake
So unless there is any other evidence of this being his second marriage I would suggest these are two different Herbert Drakes…??