Author Topic: Redmonds / Broughshane  (Read 6231 times)

Offline KDrive

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Redmonds / Broughshane
« on: Wednesday 17 November 10 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I'm looking for any information about Christopher Redmond, or his son Christopher Redmond (1800's) who are buried in Broughshane Cememtery
Any help or how to access headstones from that area would be gratefully received
Thanks and cheers

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Redmonds / Broughshane
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. You'll probably get a better response if you give more detail, especially dates. Meanwhile, I'll move this to to ANTRIM board.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KDrive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 November 10 06:26 GMT (UK) »
A few more details about the Redmonds I'm looking for info on
Christopher Redmond 1806 - 1858, married Hannah
Their son Christopher 1838 - 1879 - buried in Broughshane Cemetery?
Thanks and cheers

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 November 10 09:22 GMT (UK) »
There are at least 3 churches in Broughshane (2 Presbyterian and a COI). The gravestones have been transcribed and are on the attached site:

http://www.thebraid.com/genealogy.aspx
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 November 10 09:38 GMT (UK) »
The above website is fantastic and shows the inscription you are looking for at St. Patrick's Church of Ireland.
See here for pictures of the church-
www.geograph.ie/photo/352303

Here's the church website:
www.stpatrickschurchbroughshaneanglican.org.uk/index.html

PRONI (www.proni.gov.uk) have index details of several Wills- see website for full details:
"... Will of Christopher Redmond late of Tanneybrack... Gentleman... died 24 March 1858... proved... by the oaths of... and Christopher Redmond Gentleman both of Broughshane in the said County of Antrim two of the Executors."
then later-
"Administration (with the Will) of the unadministered estate of Christopher Redmond late of Tamneybrack County Antrim Gentleman who died 24 March 1858 granted at Belfast to Harriet Knox Married Woman."

also- "Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Christopher Redmond late of Aghafatten County Antrim Grocer deceased who died 2 December 1879 at same place were granted at Belfast to Hannah Redmond of Aghafatten (Ballymena) the Widow of said deceased."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KDrive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 November 10 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to Elwyn and aghadowey for your info, the web sites you suggested are just what I was after!
Thanks again - what a great web site this is!
Cheers
Alan
PS Go the All Blacks against Ireland this weekend! - you'll never guess where I live!!!!

Offline PRich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi KDrive,

I recall coming across the baptismal entries for some of Christopher Redmond's children whilst looking through the various church records in Skerry parish (I think the entries were listed in Broughshane 1st Presbyterian's records but I can't be 100% certain - I'll hunt through my notes and find out as I know I wrote the details down... somewhere!).

However, I do recall that some of the family's baptismal entries mentioned that Christopher Redmond was the gamekeeper to Lord O'Neill.  It's for that reason that I remembered the name.

I'll double check my records and see if I can provide anything useful.

Paul

Offline KDrive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Interesting!
Many thanks Paul, any info very gratefully received - have a very Merry Christmas and all the best for 2011!
Cheers

Offline PRich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 December 10 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I’m afraid my notes are nowhere to be found – typical!  However, I definitely recall that one of the family was, during the 1830s/40s, listed as the gamekeeper to Lord O’Neill.  I’m starting to think that it was the Broughshane Church of Ireland records in which I found the family’s various baptismal entries – I’m about 90% sure it was.

They’re a confusing family to untangle as there seem to have been a few Christophers and a few Hannahs!

Christopher Redmond Snr. of Tamneybrack townland wrote a will in 1855 which gives a vast amount of info about his family.  Christopher’s will mentions: his ‘late father’, John Redmond, who had previously left Christopher some property situated in the townland of Ballymoney in Seapatrick, Co. Down, which is just outside the town of Banbridge (so I would tentatively suggest that the Redmonds were perhaps originally from that area, not Co. Antrim); Christopher’s sons Christopher, Thomas and William; his unmarried daughters Nancy and Harriet; his married daughter Mary Carpenter; and his wife Hannah.  Usefully, Christopher also mentioned his brother-in-law ‘Surgeon Edward Patman’ (whose wife was Harriet - a possible sister of Christopher’s?).
Edward Patman, a surgeon ‘late of Broughshane’, died a widower on 22 September 1869 in Nottingham, England, and his son was the Reverend Edward Patman of Nottingham (he later became the Rector of Ahoghill, Co. Antrim).  Surgeon Edward Patman died whilst on a visit to see his son (as mentioned in his obituary which appears in the Nottinghamshire Guardian of 24 Sep 1869).

Christopher Redmond Snr. was supposedly 52 when he died in 1858. 
Christopher Redmond Snr., son of John Redmond, seems to have married Hannah McMillan at Buckna Presbyterian Church in 1847 and I would suggest that he must surely have been a widower at the time, as most of his children were born long before 1847 so this must have been a second marriage.

Christopher Redmond Jnr., like his father, also seems to have married a woman called Hannah (Hannah Hamill) and he died in Aghafatten townland on 2 December 1879 aged just 43.  However, I can find no trace of Christopher Redmond and Hannah Hamill’s marriage in Ireland, so they may perhaps have married elsewhere in the British Isles.  Hannah Redmond, nee Hamill, died in Co. Antrim in 1920 aged 78.   

Mary Redmond, daughter of Christopher Redmond Snr., married Richard Carpenter in Co. Antrim on 24 April 1854.

Hannah Redmond, nee McMillan, died at Tamneybrack in early 1901 aged 84 and left a will which only mentions her married daughter Harriet Knox and her niece ‘Mrs Christopher Redmond’.  Hannah’s will mentions property which she owned jointly with her niece in Banbridge, Co. Down.
Harriet Redmond married Alexander Knox at Buckna Presbyterian in 1886.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes