Author Topic: Try Posting Quotes  (Read 3689 times)

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
Try Posting Quotes
« on: Thursday 18 November 10 22:32 GMT (UK) »
This is probably fairly simple, but I haven't been able to find out how to post multiple quotes in the one message. I've looked on the FAQs but haven't found it.

I have no problem with one quote, but how do you put quotes from more than one person in the same message  ???

Thanks,
Alison  :)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple quotes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 November 10 22:47 GMT (UK) »
This is probably fairly simple, but I haven't been able to find out how to post multiple quotes in the one message. I've looked on the FAQs but haven't found it.

I have no problem with one quote, but how do you put quotes from more than one person in the same message  ???

Thanks,

The simplest method is to use the coding tags for providing quotes ...

at the start of the text you want to quote and to complete it you put this at the end

is done by .....
This is [ with the word quote and then ]
The text you want to put in is inserted here and at the end you repeat the [ but with /quote and then ]

The only problem with this method is that the quotes are not attributed to the original author, if you want to be able to attribute to a particular individual the only workaround is to use the quote button as if you were about to reply to that post .... copy all of the text (abandon the fake posting) and then paste this copied text into your own message.

at the start of the text you want to quote and to complete it you put this at the end

is done by .....
The text you want to put in is inserted here and at the end you repeat the [ but with /quote and then ]

The only problem with this method is that the quotes are not attributed to the original author, if you want to be able to attribute to a particular individual the only workaround is to use the quote button as if you were about to reply to that post .... copy all of the text (abandon the fake posting) and then paste this copied text into your own message.

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 November 10 04:17 GMT (UK) »
I press the quote button and then copy the quote to word and get rid of the post, then I press the quote button in the next post I want to quote and then paste that into word.

Then copy what is on the word doc back into here.

Thanks,

Thanks,

is done by .....

is done by .....

Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 November 10 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Just discovered a much easier method (knew there had to be one) if all of the replies you wish to quote from are in a thread /discussion which already exists

Start your reply and beneath this you will see a condensed version of the previous responses in the top righ hand corner you will see "Insert Quote" click on this and the quote attributed to the author is inserted into your message.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 November 10 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Just discovered a much easier method (knew there had to be one) if all of the replies you wish to quote from are in a thread /discussion which already exists

Start your reply and beneath this you will see a condensed version of the previous responses in the top righ hand corner you will see "Insert Quote" click on this and the quote attributed to the author is inserted into your message.

That last tip works a treat Falkryn (keeping an eye on this thread as I always mess it up and have given up trying!).

Though I imagine, the quick route you have found with the quick link on the r/h top corner only works if you want to quote an entire post by someone rather than a section/sentence - or am I also not seeing that?!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 November 10 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for starting this thread Alison. This is something I've always wanted to ask too. It still all looks quite confusing but I think I just may be able to manage your last suggestion Falkryn.  ;D

ADDED: Yes! It worked.
the quick route you have found with the quick link on the r/h top corner only works if you want to quote an entire post by someone rather than a section/sentence - or am I also not seeing that?!

Monica

And again! I used Falkryn's method then just highlghted and backspaced to remove the unwanted bits of Monica's quote ... now to see if that worked too .....  ;)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 November 10 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Easy isn't it Ruskie...when you know how  :P

Maybe we should have this renamed 'Try posting Quotes' thread like we do for the post when people get to try out including images on their posts!

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 November 10 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking that too Monica.  ;D

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 November 10 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much everyone for the response. I'll print off your replies and have that sitting beside me as I practise.

Cheers,
Alison  ;D  ;D  ;D