Author Topic: Family Bible lost....Dancey  (Read 17838 times)

Offline fuller-roberts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Bible lost....Dancey
« on: Saturday 20 November 10 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Family Bible Lost....Dancey

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family Bible lost....Dancey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 November 10 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Family Bible Lost....Dancey

I can't help with the Bible - but I do know some people who have studied the name extensively.  Where were yours?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline fuller-roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 November 10 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello, My surname is Dancey, my family originated from Box, Wiltshire where my ancestors worked in the Box Mines, were involved with building Box Tunnel etc.   I had the pleasure of going down the mine this year to see grafitti with my family name involved. The mine is closed but a family friend is a mine inspector who took me down..it was amazing.

My father was Dennis James, grandfather James Warren, then William , Jacob, John, Simon, Aquilla ( about 1740 )..I have a tree running on Ancestry.

Chris

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 November 10 09:06 GMT (UK) »
The families I know of are over the border in Gloucestershire - I would suggest posting on the Wiltshire board and maybe you can help someone there, even if you don't get the Bible back!

Welcome to Rootschat, by the way!  :)

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline fuller-roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 November 10 09:12 GMT (UK) »
I have in my possession a family bible that belonged to Elizabeth Dancey 1847 which was passed on to me, but I am aware that there was another family bible with the details of my family in and around Box, Wiltshire, my uncle remembers the bible when he was a boy ,  it was in ' safe keeping ' with my grandads sister Edith, but was lost to the family on her death, Edith had daughters but there is no information at the moment of their whereabouts....or even if the bible was saved.

Chris

Offline fuller-roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 November 10 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I am aware of the Gloucester connection, we all seem to have an ancestor Roger Dauncy who held a ' Knights Fee ' in Wiltshire in 1242 . A Knights Fee was a manor & lands which Roger was permitted to rent in return for his services to the Lord of the Manor and the Crown. The family also acquired large estates in Winterbourne, Wiltshire and became one of the most distinguished families of that county. The name at the time was often spelt Dauntsey and the present family seat of the name is at Donhead, St Andrews, Wiltshire.

We were probably Norman in origin, whose ancestors were Viking...not French. Thorfinn Rollo landed in Northern France around 940 ad  and took over the lands from the French King  Charles the Simple.  Duke William ( the Conquerer ) was a descendent of Rollo.

Chris Dancey

Offline barrycc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 November 10 01:28 GMT (UK) »
We had a break-in several years back, and amongst the items stolen was the family bible, which was first written in in the early 1800s.
I know the despair that you go through when such an item goes missing.
I suggest that mine is now on someone's coffee table as a 'curio', completely useless to those that have it.
May they feel the guilt they deserve!  :'(

Offline fuller-roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 November 10 08:33 GMT (UK) »
So sorry to hear that you too have lost this treasured item, its of no value to anyone else and unless by a fluke you happen across it again its broken in the timeline and to further generations. I am lucky having the bible from 1847, its inscribed on the clasp with ED ( Elizabeth Dancey ) and there is hand written verse inside so identifiable at least. Thanks for your reply.

Offline grahambeyrout

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 December 11 12:29 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the Dancey family along two strands, one through Box which links into the one you refer to, and the other, the nearby one just over the Gloscestershire border in and around Tormarton. Family tradition links these two strands together, but I cannot find a link. I would be happy to share reasearch.