Author Topic: William Stoddart  (Read 8950 times)

Offline evaret

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Stoddart
« on: Sunday 21 November 10 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking information on the birth of a William Stoddart.

The only information I have is the 1871 England census. It gives his age as 52 (born about 1819) and his birth place as Lauder Scotland. I have not been able to find him in the scotlandspeople site.

He married Ann Alexander in the late 1840s in Northumberland, where he spent the rest of his life.

Cheers
Stoddart, Dodds: Northumberland, Callow: Warwickshire, Hodgson: Yorkshire,

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: William Stoddart
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 November 10 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Evaret

Apologies, if you have this already but I can find the family in the 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 and 1891 census, however I think I may have found William in the 1841 census HO107 818 b 1816 Scotland and living in the Civil Parish of Bamburgh - Township Fleetham - Hundred Bambrough - County Northumberland. If you check this area using Genuki I think that you will find it to be extremely close to where the family later settled.
Using the info I searched Scotlands People site  pre 1855 Births and Baptisms, and there is a listing for a William Stoddart b 1816 in the county of Bewick and there appears to be 1 match, not sure if this is yours, however may I suggest that if  have any info on who his father was from their marriage certificate,  include this in your search and who knows this could be you man!!!!

Regards

Z :)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 November 10 14:39 GMT (UK) »
I just wanted to ask how you got Anns Maiden Name.
Was it from a Childs Birth Cert?
I cant find the Marriage of William Stoddart to Ann Alexander on FreeBMD.

I can find one to Ann ROGERS in 1848 and have additional info on that including Fathers names.

1841 Census has a William Stodart born c 1821 in Berwickshire with a Robert Stoddart age 25 c 1816. I notice William names a Son Robert.
Channelkirk/1/1/1470

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline evaret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 November 10 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Z and Trish

Thanks for the prompt reply and info.

I had tried the 1841 England census via Ancestry.com and could not get  a William Stoddart. Z,   I wasn't sure how to use the reference you gave but based on your lead, I browsed each district and eventually found a William Stoddard, living in Fleetham. District 7

If his age in the 1841 census was recorded as 25, he would have been between 25 and 29. His birth was then between 1812 and 1816. The 1851 census has him in Eglingham aged 30, born about 1821. In 1861, he was in Eglingham aged 42 - born 1819. In 1871, he was 52 - born 1819.
I have now found a William Stoddart in the 1841 Scotland census - aged 20 and living in Channelkirk. Trish, I think this is the one you mention

Trish, I have a birth certificate for Elizabeth Stoddart born in 1847 in Blackchesters. Her mother's maiden name is Ann Alexander. This maiden name also appears on the birth certificate of the son William born in 1849 in Harehope. The 1841 England census has a Ann Alexander living in Blackchesters. So William and Ann probably married there and lived there for the first couple of years of their marriage

But I cannot locate a marriage for William and Ann

Any other thoughts are most welcome
Regards
Evaret

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 November 10 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

found on scotlandspeople

The only william stoddart I could find in Berwickshire in a 10 year period.

1 25/10/1824 STODDART WILLIAM, JAMES STODDART/SARAH PATERSON FR246 M EARLSTON /BERWICK 736/00 0020 0022

Search criteria I used.

You searched for: Surname: "sto*d*rt"; Surname Option: Wildcard; Forename: "william"; Forename Option: Prefix; Sex: "Male"; Date From: 01 January 1814; Date To: 31 December 1824; County: BERWICK

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline bexs1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 April 17 02:02 BST (UK) »
this is my great great grandad if you look on the census they say his birthplace Lorton.
did you find any more information ? ive only got up to him and ann.
they all moved around Northumberland on the farms he was a horsebreaker and farm hand he had a son Robert who is my great granddad and he married Elizabeth bayliss and they lived in Lancashire Liverpool he was a publican
 they had my granddad in 1901 nov issac bayliss stoddart who lived in litherland with my nan agnes mary smith aug 1913 and they married at Crosby 1936 he worked at the Bryant and may matchworks he lived in rose avenue L21 till he died of a heart attack my nan moved to Formby and passed away in 2008 xxx :)

Offline bexs1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 April 17 02:11 BST (UK) »
how are you related to William and Robert ? ;D

Name     Robert Stoddart   
 Event Type     Census   
 Event Date     1871   
 Event Place     Seaton, Seaton, Cumberland, England   
 Enumeration District     1   
 Gender     Male   
 Age     8   
 Occupation     Scholar   
 Relationship to Head of Household     Son   
 Birth Year (Estimated)     1863   
 Birthplace     Camerton, Cumberland   
 Entry Number     21   
 Affiliate Image Identifier     GBC/1871/5241/0021   

Household

Role

Sex

Birthplace

William Stoddart   Head M 52 Lorton, Cumberland
 Ann Stoddart   Wife F 53 Egremont, Cumberland
 William Stoddart   Son M 22 Camerton, Cumberland
 John Stoddart   Son M 10 Camerton, Cumberland
  Robert Stoddart  Son M 8 Camerton, Cumberland

Offline evaret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 April 17 06:16 BST (UK) »
My William Stoddart is my great great grandfather. I think he is a different one to yours. This William lived in Eglingham in 1871 and he died there in 1891.

Cheers

Offline bexs1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 January 18 03:37 GMT (UK) »
hi,

yes my great great grandfather is the same as yours ive traced all of the places they lived his son Robert moved and had my grandad which son/ daughter of William is yours  xxhttp://www.oldscottish.com/lauder.html
try here as they say something about it pre dates the official 1841 census I think this would be him this is why we he looks like he has gone missing hope this helps there is a john who is a servant at lady part this was the name for the grounds at the thirlestane castle if you look on an old map theres not much there home wise
xxx