Author Topic: Thomas John Grinyer  (Read 9249 times)

Offline odbsmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas John Grinyer
« on: Sunday 21 November 10 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I've recently found  my 3x great grandfather Thomas John Grinyer b1811 in Brighton. I cannot find him or his family in the 1841/1851 census. His wife was Hannah Maria Bryer. Does anyone have him there tree and have solved the problem, Perhaps a variation of surname spelling?
Hudman, Souch, Grinyer, King, Nightingale, Sandoz, Gateley, Findley

Online candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas John Grinyer
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 November 10 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Haven't found them on those censuses yet but there is a tree on a well known site that says they had one son George Frederick Grinyer born 1839. the tree does not give any census entries. Would the 1861 census entry which is easy to find, your family where they then have one son - not George and 4 daughters living with them?
was trying to use the children to track down the parents but needed to check if it was the correct family first.
North East of England

Online candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 November 10 21:14 GMT (UK) »
There is also another tree which seems to have the whole family as listed on the 1861 with births deaths and marriages. Alas they have no census entries that lead to 1851 or 1841. >:(
North East of England

Offline odbsmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 November 10 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,thanks for that.
 yes I have the 1861 census, 1 son 4 daughters, the son is my 2x great grandfather. I have tried looking for the children in the 1841 &1851 census without sucsess so far, but there are different spellings of Grinyer.
Hudman, Souch, Grinyer, King, Nightingale, Sandoz, Gateley, Findley

Online candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 November 10 21:44 GMT (UK) »
There are indeed many different spellings and many corrections in the index I am using!! Makes my surname searches seem very easy! Do you have the info that is on the tree or do you have all you need apart from the census entries? Th tree shows 11 children some of which are more males.
North East of England

Online candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 November 10 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Try searching for Thos Gringer or William Gringer in the 1841 census. Class HO 107 Piece 1122 book 9 and see what you think of that one.It has many similarites especially with the tree entries for the other children.
North East of England

Online candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 November 10 22:07 GMT (UK) »
And try searching for Henry Gring  born 1841 or Thomas John Gring on the 1851 census and see if thats them too. Class HO107,Piece 1646, Folio 440,Page 26.
North East of England

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 November 10 14:04 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in your route back in time to Thomas John Grinyer 1811 (possibly of Ovingdean near Brighton) for it is highly probable that a relative of mine married his son Thomas John Grinyer junior (an upholsterer) bapt Brighton 14 Dec 1834.

My relative was Emma Clifton, baptised in St Nicholas Brighton 6 Sept 1829, who was living 42 Montpelier Street Bton 1851 and married Thomas John Grinyer Junior at St Pancras London on 26 April 1857.  In the 1881 census, their surname was mistranscribed in the indexes as GRAINGER.

I am presuming your Thomas John Grinyer (1811-18 Oct 1891) was an accountant that also reported for the Brighton Examiner newspaper. 
If so, the following should prove useful.
Place of baptism:    St Wulframs Church, Ovingdean, Brighton, Sussex.
Place of death 1891:    8 Richmond Place, Brighton, Sussex.(vol 2b page146)
AKA GRENIER / GRINYER
1841 Living at Borough St. Brighton.

The family information sent me by another member of the Grinyer family is however far more extensive than recently quoted by others.  That says his children were:  Sarah 1831, William 1833, Thomas 1834, Hannah 1836, George 1839, Henry 1841, Charles 1843, Harriet 1847, Benjamin 1849, Martha 1850 and Emma 1856.
I am however, unsure of the total correctness of the above list of children, for you have to accecpt that there were occasions when Hannah of Worthing (who died in 1890) was also known as Anna Maria. 

Roy G

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 November 10 15:44 GMT (UK) »
odbsmith,

Is your Thomas John a "sub newspaper editor" in 1861.
If yes, have you considered  HO107  1122  9/36  13 in 1841.