Author Topic: Gareys in London from 1700  (Read 10672 times)

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gareys in London from 1700
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 February 11 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Re Edward Bryant Garey's family, just looking at Maria Louisa Garey, born 1820. I wonder if it is the same Maria Louisa who married François Antoine Ory in Soho in 1840.

Laurence

Offline warbler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 February 11 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Laurence
Yes, you're quite right about the dates, and thanks for the further information on the Gareys. I'll be happy to let you have what I've got on Richard Ward and Letitia's descendants - though I should say that the Ward name died out in the next generation because they had only daughters. The surviving line is the McCullochs, which go up to present day.
If you want to give me an email address I'll pass through what I've got, in whatever format looks most practical.
Regards
Ward

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 February 11 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 December 11 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Sorry. Will send a PM
Laurence

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 December 11 09:26 GMT (UK) »
I was very grateful to those of you who helped me trace my line to some carpenters in Hampshire. I have since been to Kew and got some more details, but I wonder if you can help me.
You helped me find that my ancestor Edward Garey (born 1777 in Stockbridge, Hants) was the son of Richard Garey/Gary (born 1752 in Stockbridge) and Hannah Elliot (married 1776).
Richard's parents seem to be Edward Gary and Elizabeth.
Now, I wonder if this Edward is the same as Edward Gary who married Elizabeth Parker at Lower Wallop Church, Stockbridge, 26-10-1747. Is he also Edward Garey baptised 21-4-1718 at Longstock, and whose parents were John Gary and Mary. and who had 5 sibs born in Longstock 1719-1732.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Laurence

Offline mkuyt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I found this thread looking for the Goldsmid family. For your information, in my city The Hague are buried in a Goldsmid family grave:

Henry Goldsmid (born 2 august 1790, died july 24, 1863) (He was married to Sarah Ward Ogle)
George Washington Garey (born 16 july 1828, died may 1(?), 1865)
Edward Richard Garey, nephew of the above (sic), (born 5 april 1867, died june 23 or 29, 1869)
Elisabeth Dean, widow of E. Garey,  (born 24 oktober 1798, died 13 august 1875)
Neville Davison Goldsmid, London, 18 april 1814 - Brussels, 4 july 1875 (buried july 6, 1875 in The Hague)

Neville Davison Goldsmid was married to Elisa Garey, daughter of Elisabeth Dean.
He was a son of Henry Goldsmid and brother of Edmund Elsden Goldsmid (1818-1870), who married Sara Elisabeth Garey (who is sometimes mistakenly called Gardner or Garner), so two brothers married two sisters. The Goldsmids were a very wealthy Jewish-English family. an uncle,  Isaac Lyon Goldsmid (1824-1859) was the first Jew to be made Baronet, and founder of the Imperial Continental Gas Association and co-founder of the banking firm Mocatta Goldsmid. The Goldsmids also owned railroads. Edmund Elsden (banker) and Neville Davison (gas engineer) moved from London to Paris to build and exploit Gas works on the continent, i know of Paris, Versailles, Brussels and Leeuwarden for sure). Neville davison later moved to the Hague were he exploited the city's Gas works (from 1844 until 1875) and founded the hague's first tramway company. He was also a famous art collector, owning Vermeers and Rembrandts. After his death his wife Elisa moved back to Paris. They had no children. Edmund Elsden Goldsmid (sometimes called just Edmond Goldsmid) and Sara Elisabeth Garey had five children.

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for all that information. I already had quite a bit about this section of the Garey family, and that Sarah Elizabeth had married Edmond Elsden, but the other Goldsmid connections are new to me. I am not sure whether these Gareys are related to my side of the family. An interesting finding was that the father of George Washington, Edward Bryant, husband of Elizabeth Dean, was a London lawyer who was condemned at the Old Bailey to be transported to Tasmania, where he died. I have more information about their other children. Do you know who was the father of Edward Richard, who died very young? I am trying to find details of Edward Bryant's parents, George and Susanna.
If you are interested in the Gareys I can give you more information.
Laurence

Offline mkuyt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laurence,

well, for instance:
did the garey sisters die in Paris? What happened to the estate? I know the Hague gasworks was bought by the city and Neville got paid 1.000.000 guilders, (some 50,000 - 100,000 pound sterling at the time). His art collection made 500.000 guilders at auction.

and: what drama happened to Elisabeth Dean, was it normal for a married couple to be split-up because the husband was sent to a penal colony? It would explain why Neville Goldsmid had his mother-in-law and other in-laws come to The Hague.

and: did you try looking for Garner/Gardner instead of Garey? 

By the way, there's a typo in my previous posting; Elisabeth Dean died 1870.

My interest is really about Neville Goldsmid, who must have been quite a character. He had the city of The Hague sign a deal that can be best described as extortion, offering bad-quality Gas at twice the price paid in other cities. He made The Hague serve out this contract for the full 30 years, refusing any buy-outs. In the 1870's he was surely the most hated man in the city. Surely Elisa left the Hague very quickly in 1875, no love lost there. The art collection was auctioned in Paris a year later, the catalogue can be found on the internet.

Hey, how few people can claim they had Rembrandts in the family?

Last question: do you know of paintings or photographs of this family?

thanks,
Michiel Kuyt, The Hague

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Michiel
Let me summarise what I have.
George Garey m Susanna Annesley, London 1791
Son Joseph b 1797 London
His son Edward Bryant Garey b 1823 d 1858, buried in Abney Park, East London
(this seems to be the "other" Garey line. George and Susanna's other son was Edward Bryant Garey, b 13-3-1796 London, d 18-10-1852 and buried Hobart)
He m Elizabeth Dean who was b1801 London (you say 24-10-1798 which is correct?). I have her dying in "Holland" 1870.
Children of EBG and ED, born in London:
Maria Louisa b1820 m François Ory in london 1840
Sarah Elizabeth b1822, m Edmund Elsden Goldsmit 1844 London
Letitia b1824 d 1907 Ramsgate m Richard Ward
Napoleon Edward Byron (the family chose some amazing names!) b1826, d 1914 Bromley, m Anna Nathalie, b Flensburg and d 1914 Bromley
(an international family too! Their 2nd daughter Adele Letitia was b 1859 in Italy)
George Washington d 1867 (you say 1865) "near The Hague" (where was it in fact?)
Eliza b 1829
Mary Ann b1831

Let's leave it at that for the moment. What a family. Where did Edward Bryant's money go, and that of Neville? Were there any connections between their businesses? !!!
Laurence