Author Topic: Can't find Rose Palmer  (Read 4390 times)

Offline Adele1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can't find Rose Palmer
« on: Monday 22 November 10 20:17 GMT (UK) »
The last address I have is 2753 Lyndale St., Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1915.  This was the next of kin address given by her son Durham Palmer upon attestation November 10th, 1915.  I can't locate her on the 1910 or 1920 censuses.  Her maiden name was Seddon and her mother's maiden name was also Palmer.  She was born in September of 1876 in Greater Manchester, England.  She was married to William Palmer in England and they immigrated to Canada in 1896.  I don't know what happened to William either because I haven't been able to find him any time after they arrived in Canada. There is a possibility that she may have moved to California after 1915 as one of her brothers and one of her daughters lived there with their families.

That's all I know and now I'm really stumped, any help would be great.

Thanks,

Adele

Offline gordon5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find Rose Palmer
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 November 10 20:53 GMT (UK) »
This may seem really odd but there is apparently a Rose A Palmer living at (*)
in Minneapolis - at least according to Spokeo dot com!! Obviously not the same person as she'd be the current oldest person in the world, but possibly a relative or descendant? Of course, that would be too good to be true...

One possibility would be to look through old telephone directories to see who was registered at her address in the years before and after 1915. That might give you a better date for her moving onwards. Also, if you know where her children were living in California you might be lucky and find that she had her own apartment in that area.

Don't know how voting goes in America but isn't the register of those eligible to vote a matter of public record and therefore searchable?

Just a few thoughts...

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Steadwood worldwide, Horsburgh, McBean (and variants), Pride, Ross, mostly in the Lothian and Borders area, Ingles and variants from Buckie, Wilson, Stoddart.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 November 10 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried checking the Minnesota death index?  http://people.mnhs.org/dci/Search.cfm

There are some California voter registrations available, but not too many for other states.  If you have the brother's name & info, I could try to find where he was if you don't know.

Do you have any further information on William, like date/place of birth, occupation, etc.?

Offline gordon5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 November 10 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Shellyesq, been a long day :(
Steadwood worldwide, Horsburgh, McBean (and variants), Pride, Ross, mostly in the Lothian and Borders area, Ingles and variants from Buckie, Wilson, Stoddart.

Offline Adele1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 November 10 21:46 GMT (UK) »
thanks,

I checked out Rose A Palmer on Spokeo, that was bizarre.  Seems to be a popular name.

Adele

Offline Adele1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 November 10 21:51 GMT (UK) »
I haven't got anything on William Palmer.  I know he was born around 1872 in England and he was a Private stationed in Egypt around 1887.

I know lots of information about John Seddon and his family and Ada Palmer and her family, so I don't really need any help with that, thanks anyway for the offer.

I did check out the Minneapolis death index and am still not sure if Rose is there under Palmer, I'm thinking she may have remarried and that's why I can't find her.

Adele

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 November 10 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Rose has remarried (but unfortunately is widowed again) and is Rose Smith living in Minneapolis Ward 8, Hennepin, Minnesota in 1920

Rose Smith 44 Born England. Immigrated 1903.Widowed.  NA husband. Laundress. Odd Jobs.
Arthur F Smith 11 Born Canada

Regards
Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 November 10 22:21 GMT (UK) »
The daughter Ada Palmer/Thrower, husband and family made a Border Crossing  from Canada to the USA in October 1921
Alfred Thrower Aged 22 years. Ada 25 years. Dudley 3 years. Lillian 1 year.
Alfred was a farm labourer and he was going to his Mother-In-Law - Rose Smith in Myals  ??? Minnesota.

In 1930 Rose Smith is a patient in Hopwell Hospital (Parkview Sanitorium Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 November 10 22:24 GMT (UK) »
The 1910 Census shows Rose with her second husband Charles Smith in Minneapolis Ward 4, Hennepin, Minnesota.

Charles Smith 46 Born Wisconsin. Marriage 1 for 5 years. Agent. Real Estate.
Rose Smith 35 Marriage 1  ??? for 5 years.
Arthur Smith 1 Born Canada.

Regards
Sandra