Author Topic: Newmarket Cork-Murphy  (Read 5158 times)

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Newmarket Cork-Murphy
« on: Tuesday 12 April 05 06:22 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any records that would list a family of Murphys who lived in Church St., Newmarket c 1860.  I am hoping to find names of siblings of James and Dan born 1860-62 who were children of Timothy and Julia.

Thanks
Carmel
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline Corkman

• RootsChat Extra
  • "Forti et fideli nihil difficile"
    • View Profile
Re: Newmarket Cork-Murphy
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 05 02:39 BST (UK) »
Carmel:
If you can get your hands on Albert Eugene Casey's 16 volume collection titled "O'Kief Coshe Mang, Slieve Lougher and Upper Blackwater Ireland" you have a good chance of finding what you are looking for. One author described Casey's work as "The Mother Lode of Irish Genealogy" and then went on to describe the collection as an "Irish resource with over 3,000,000 names, most not duplicated, all indexed alphabetically." The 16 volumes cover the areas noted in the title of which Newmarket, Co. Cork is in the middle. Casey's efforts are a true gold mine for those researching the Duhallow and surrounding areas. The 16 volumes are in a number of American and Irish libraries and colleges.

I am using the collection in my efforts to track down O'Keefe ancestors in Newmarket.

Good luck. I hope this information is useful. I would be interested in knowing how you make out.

Corkman
O'Keefe, O'Keeffe, O'Kief, Keeffe, Keefe

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 05 02:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that but I am in Australia and don't know whether I can get access to it here.  I'll try some online catalogues.

Thanks
Carmel
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline Corkman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 05 02:48 BST (UK) »
OK - Australia it is. The collection is at the N.S. Wales Public Library, Sydney; the National Library of Australia, Canberra and the Queensland Public Library, Brisbane. Or so it is reported.

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 April 05 02:51 BST (UK) »
That is great.  I can get to Queensland State Library so will look it up there.  I just put the name of the book into google and came up with a page with Murphy andO'Keefe http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~clannymurphy/murphy.htm
butthey are in America

Thanks again
Carmel

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 April 05 03:00 BST (UK) »
Just looked it up on our catalogue and this is what I got
Title: Historical and topographical notes etc. on Buttevant, Castletownroche, Doneraile, Mallow, and places in their vicinity (North Cork baronies of : Fermoy, Duhallow, Orrery & Kilmore, Condons & Clangibbon) / Collected by Colonel James Grove White, J.P., D.L. Cork : Guy, 1905-1918 
Main Author: White, James Grove 
Publication: Birmingham, Ala. : Amite and Knocknagree Historical Fund, c1969 
Description: 4 v. and an addendum in 1 v. : ill. ; 29 cm. 

Notes: Facsimile ed.
Photoreproduced by Albert Eugene Casey, as a complement to his 15 volume series entitled O'Kief, Coshe Mang, Slieve Lougher and Upper Blackwater, Ireland. 

With only 4 volumes and note that it is a complement to 15 volume work I'm wondering if it will have what you are suggesting I look at

Anyway I'll go as soon as I can and have a look at this

Thanks
Carmel

Offline Corkman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 April 05 03:15 BST (UK) »
Try the following for detailed information and an index to Casey's efforts:

www.rootsweb.com/~irish/igsi_published/casey.htm