Author Topic: Am I missing somethig?  (Read 5927 times)

Offline Elsa-Mary

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Am I missing somethig?
« on: Wednesday 24 November 10 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi From Spain ;D

Recently had a breakthrough with my family tree,was contacted by another researcher who had same family links, and was able to provide me with 3 earlier generations of my family tree.
Problem for me though is still the same as I cannot find birth or christening of my Peter Lunt c1798.

I can find his  siblings and parents also his marriage 1820, and his death 1835 .
WHY can't I find him ???
I feel that I am unable to add these generations to my tree,as it makes me  feel very uncertain that I have got correct family.

What have I missed? I have spent hours going through FM. and OPC,.
Ageat marriage was 20 yrs old and death was 35 yrs old--  could   he have been a LOT  younger at marriage ,like 14 yrs old-or even a lot older.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Elsa-Mary

Lunt, Greenwood, Lancashire/Cheshire/N Ireland.
Taggart,Robinson,Bates. N Ireland
Roberts, Liverpool.
Amos, Mostyn, Flintshire.

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Am I missing somethig?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Were all his siblings baptised in the same place?  It might be that he was privately baptised and it never got written up in the parish register or that the vicar forgot to add it.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You haven't given a town/country for Peter but I found this on family search:

Peter Lunt,   christening 17th March 1793, Tattenhall, Cheshire.

Parents:  George Lunt and Elizabeth Jennions

http://pilot.familysearch.org

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elsa-Mary

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 19:33 GMT (UK) »
HIi,
Thanks Jeuel,

Hadn't thought of the vicar forgetting,- but as his supposed brother Thomas 's christening was in 1802,same Church St Helen's,  Sefton would have thought it would have rung bells !!

Thanks nannyjan,

According to the new info I have Peter Lunt 's parents were Bryan Lunt and Mary Smith-married 1787 at Sefton.
Of course Peter may have been born out of area of Sefton- his marriage was there but usually marriage is brides village I believe.
This is what is worrying me,if Peter was born out of area-then perhaps all the info I have is not of  the same family of Lunts  at all.

Cheers
Elsa-Mary
Roberts, Liverpool.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 19:47 GMT (UK) »
You are, I suppose, aware that Bryan Lunt and his wife Ann Fairclough had a son Peter baptised at Sefton 4 April 1819 and died 17 April 1821?
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elsa-Mary

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 19:56 GMT (UK) »
 Hi,
Thanks Hackstaple,
Yes- but my Peter Lunt married in 1820 to Mary Clegg and died 1835,it just seems so strange that IF the new info I have is correct,I can find all his siblings-all at Sefton, but not himself.
I am very loath to add these generations to my tree,as he is the direct link.

It worries me that this may not be my ancestry,if I can't find Peter ,then perhaps the rest of that family are not mine !!
Do you know what I mean.
Elsa-Mary
Roberts, Liverpool.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 November 10 08:23 GMT (UK) »
OK Elsa - Mary ...on lan-opc you have his marriage and his death ..St Helen church,Sefton
did you notice that a Bryan Lunt and ANN were the parents of
Peter Lunt babtised 1819 at St Helen church...yes ...I know Peter would have been about 19/20.
Maybe he wanted to be babtised before he got married...could Mary have died and Bryan re-married Ann ?...thus giving these as his parents...I know this all seems a little unusual , but it MIGHT be an answer...back soon...allan
FORGET THAT BABTISM...that Peter was born 14th March 1819
looks like Peter and Mary had 6 children(1st in Ford the rest in Litherland)...Peter died 4 months after the birth of his last child...a lot of stress for Mary...6 young children...and they moved from Ford to Litherland....I can`t find a babtism for Thomas 1802 in St Helen church ...where did you find this please ?...allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 November 10 08:35 GMT (UK) »
I had exactly the same problem as you Elsa Mary.I had being trying for over 10 years to find MY ancestors baptism,I found all his siblings but not him....the eldest(b 1811).

Ancestry recently put some new records online, and Eureka there he was baptised in Brentford Middlesex,and not Marylebone where they were living,and where the rest were baptised.

Turns out I have now been able to find where his dad came from ,as he'd died in 1844 so I never got to see where on any census.They'd obviously gone back to grannie's for the baptism.

So never give up,the records will be out there somewhere,it's just a question of when you get to find them though  ;)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 November 10 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I had exactly the same problem as you Elsa Mary.I had being trying for over 10 years to find MY ancestors baptism,I found all his siblings but not him....the eldest(b 1811).

Ancestry recently put some new records online, and Eureka there he was baptised in Brentford Middlesex,and not Marylebone where they were living,and where the rest were baptised.

I must check Ancestry now for my 2 x g.grandfather for whom I can't find a baptism.  He was born about 1834 and I have checked the parish records myself when we were in the area on holiday, as have a couple of Rootschatters who live in the area.  His parents marriage was there, as were the baptisms of 7 siblings starting 1816 and going as far as 1837 (unfortunately just before modern records began so I can't get a birth certificate to see who that one's parents were).  It has been suggested that perhaps my 2 x g.grandfather was actually the illegitimate son of one of his elder "sisters".  However, his parents did seem to have children every 3 years, so if he wasn't their's, there would have been a 6 year gap, although I suppose a child could have died.

Lizzie