Author Topic: Need help with GG Grandfather  (Read 2282 times)

Offline ryan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • (Pictured) My G-G Grandfather Thomas John Hill.
    • View Profile
Need help with GG Grandfather
« on: Wednesday 02 June 04 18:55 BST (UK) »
Some time ago I found my Great Grandfather, one Harold Hopkins, as a two year old boy living with his Grandparents, mother, and sister in Exeter (Exeter is the place of birth for all of them). His father was not present in the house hold, however, I did not know the identity of his father. As such, I search on FreeBMD for one Rebecca Hart (I had Rebecca's birth cert, that is how I knew her maiden surname) to find a marriage for her. The search was successful. As such I orderd the marriage cert. When it arrived it stated her marriage taking place on 12th Oct. 1889 at Exeter,  husband as Thomas Hopkins, 26, 'Man of Wars; Man', son of John Hopkins; laborer.

Following this I tried to locate Thomas with his wife if 1891, no result. Rebecca was living alone, or her husband was missed off. I do not know where Thomas was born (b. in 1866). I have no knowledge of his family besides the identity of his father, John. I have no idea what to do to find him!

Any tips, please?

???
HILL/BURKE/BELCHER/BIGNELL/BADHAM/COX/BLAKE/YELDHAM in London
HOPKINS/HART/MATTHEWS/MUNSON/FARLEY in Exeter & Mid Devon
FEREDAY in The Potteries & Tipton
ADAMS/MUSCUTT/ELSBY/BRIDGENS/BURKE/BELL/RAINBOW in The Potteries
O’CALLAGHAN/O’BRIEN in Cork
BURKE/FITZPATRICK in Birmingham
HOPKINS in Shaftesbury
YELDHAM/RAVEN/MUNSON/BIGNELL in Essex
BLAKE/CHANDLER in Wickham Market, Suffolk

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:Need help with GG Grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 June 04 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi. See what you think of this idea - I may have misunderstood something along the line!

I went to familysearch.org and searched on the 1881 census.
I put in Thomas Hopkins as the name, born England 1863 +/- 2 years, head of household John Hopkins.
The result of that for the whole of England was two families, one in Preston and one in Devon. Here is the Devon one:

John HOPKINS   Head   M   Male   48   North Tawton, Devon, England   Farmer Of 225 Acres    
 Grace HOPKINS   Wife   M   Female   49   North Tawton, Devon, England        
 Thomas HOPKINS   Son   U   Male   19   North Tawton, Devon, England   Farmer Son    
 Henry JARVIS   Serv   U   Male   18   Chagford, Devon, England   Farm Servant Indoor    
 Joseph OLIVER   Serv      Male   14   Okeampton, Devon, England   Farm Servant Indoor    

~~~~~~~~
Source Information:
  Dwelling   Beadon
  Census Place Hennock, Devon, England
  Family History Library Film   1341520
  Public Records Office Reference   RG11
  Piece / Folio   2159 / 54
  Page Number   10

North Tawnton and Hennock are both around the Exeter area.
I was not clear if the 1901 census was for the paternal grandparents or not. If so, does it give John's mother's name?
Hope this is some help.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ryan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • (Pictured) My G-G Grandfather Thomas John Hill.
    • View Profile
Re:Need help with GG Grandfather
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 June 04 21:45 BST (UK) »
Okay, thank you for that. What you have found seems quite compelling. Beforehand when i mentioned 'Grandparents' I was reffering to Rebecca's parents, Eliza (Hart) and George Matthews. However, Rebecca and Thomas' daughter was named Violet Grace Hopkins. Perhaps 'Grace' attributes to a naming pattern in the family?
HILL/BURKE/BELCHER/BIGNELL/BADHAM/COX/BLAKE/YELDHAM in London
HOPKINS/HART/MATTHEWS/MUNSON/FARLEY in Exeter & Mid Devon
FEREDAY in The Potteries & Tipton
ADAMS/MUSCUTT/ELSBY/BRIDGENS/BURKE/BELL/RAINBOW in The Potteries
O’CALLAGHAN/O’BRIEN in Cork
BURKE/FITZPATRICK in Birmingham
HOPKINS in Shaftesbury
YELDHAM/RAVEN/MUNSON/BIGNELL in Essex
BLAKE/CHANDLER in Wickham Market, Suffolk