Author Topic: Where is Isabella in 1871 and did her parents marry?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Where is Isabella in 1871 and did her parents marry?
« on: Sunday 28 November 10 11:52 GMT (UK) »
My Gt Gt Grandmother Isabella Gilchrist was born in 1865 in Willington Quay, Northumberland, England.  On her Birth certificate it states that her Father was James Gilchtist and Mother Mary Ann Gilchrist, formerly Cook.

Isabella married in 1885 and I have her on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses and her husband, when he wasn't at sea.

In 1881 she is in Wallsend with her Father James (Iron Ship Caulker & a Widow) born abt 1839 Jesmond, Northumberland, England and Sister Jane born abt 1861 West Hartlepool, Durham, England.
(RG11; Piece: 5072; Folio: 111; Page: 93)

I cannot find Isabella, her parents or sister Jane in 1871, can anyone assist here?

In 1861 James Gilchrist is living in Stockton On Tees with wife Mary A Gilchrist and daughter Jane Gilchrist 4 MO working as a ship riveter.
They are on the census living with Elizabeth Haigh 59 and Joseph Haigh    18
(RG9; Piece: 3694; Folio: 16; Page: 28)

I cannot find any Marriage between James Gilchrist and Mary Ann Cook whick makes me think they didn't get married.  But if anyone can find one I would be much appreciative.  ???  ;D

I have James In 1851 he is in Tynemouth aged abt 14 with parents and siblings and is working as a Miner
John Gilchrist    34
Jane Gilchrist    36
James Gilchrist    16
John Gilchrist    11
Sarah Gilchrist    9
Mary Gilchrist    3
Isabella Gilchrist    5 MO
(HO107; Piece: 2409; Folio: 199; Page: 25)

And again in 1841 living in Byker with parents John & Jane Gilchrist and brother John Gilchrist.
(HO107; Piece 824; Book: 3; Civil Parish: St Andrew; County: Northumberland; Enumeration District: 2; Folio: 11; Page: 15; Line: 3)

I believe I have found Mary Ann Cook in 1851 aged 10 in Willington with her parents
John Cook    39
Elizabeth Cook    35
Mary A Cook    10
Henry Cook    12
Isabella Cook    10
George Cook    8
Cuthbert Cook    3
William Cook    4 MO
(HO107; Piece: 2409; Folio: 99; Page: 10;)

Regards

Emma
Norfolk – Girdlestone
Durham & North Yorkshire – Stevens, Mordecai, Collingwood, Christopher, Taylor, Henderson, Grewcock, Charlton
Northumberland – Small, Swanston, Gilchrist
London – Genesis, Biggs
Wiltshire & Staffordshire – Stevens, Burt, Taylor, Maskell, James, Green, Onions
Scotland – Bertie, Henderson, Skene, Allison, Peacock

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Isabella in 1871 and did her parents marry?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 November 10 12:07 GMT (UK) »
RG10 5110/43/28
Keelmans Row,Willington

James Gillchrist 32 boilermaker b Newcastle on Tyne
Mary Ann 30 wife b Willington
Jane 10 dau b Durham and Hartlepool
John 8 son b London
Isabella 5 dau b Willington
Elizabeth 2 dau b ditto
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 November 10 12:12 GMT (UK) »
i see in 1881 there is just James, jane and Elizabeth on that ref you gave  :-\
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 November 10 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Toni

I wonder how I have never found that one before, I tried may spellings of the surname.

John 8 son b London, interesting.

:o I had always assumed that Elizabeth was Isabella.  I need to look for isabella now in 1881

Thanks

Emma
Norfolk – Girdlestone
Durham & North Yorkshire – Stevens, Mordecai, Collingwood, Christopher, Taylor, Henderson, Grewcock, Charlton
London – Genesis, Biggs
Wiltshire & Staffordshire – Stevens, Burt, Taylor, Maskell, James, Green, Onions

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 November 10 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Found her in 1881  Isabella Gillchriste living in Sunderland with the Cook family, possible relatives of her mother.
Norfolk – Girdlestone
London – Genesis, Biggs

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 November 10 12:30 GMT (UK) »
thats good

now just to find Mary & James marriage

if you fail to find Gilchrist / Cook marriage these things need to be taken into account :
it is possible that mary was previously married and thus the wedding would be under her married name in the GRO index or that one party was not free to marry
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 November 10 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Or like quite a few of my ancestors,  no actual reason, just never bothered.
Norfolk – Girdlestone
London – Genesis, Biggs

Offline CoxCharlie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 July 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,
My names Charlie Cox I was wondering about my ancestors and my mum told me my great grandmothers name was Gillchrist I think it's spelt that why and I googled it and she was from  Northumberland her Name was Jane Isabella Gillchrist her maiden name was Gillchrist and she had four sisters I can find out more from my grandmother if that's any help to you