Author Topic: My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?  (Read 31401 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?
« on: Sunday 28 November 10 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Before starting your search in Ireland it's a good idea to start by learning all you can about your ancestors in their new country. Any details you can establish from your known line outside Ireland can be a big help in locating your correct family line. These details are important for all searches but vital if you need to search before the start of full civil registration (1864).

Records outside Ireland to Check :
  Census returns often include place of birth, and age (England/US etc), and sometimes (US) date of arrival or naturalization
  Birth certs for some locations (e.g. Scotland) include place of marriage of parents
  Marriages certs some locations (e.g. US States) can include places of birth, parents, etc for bride and groom
  Death certs (e.g. US, Australia ..) can show parents names etc
  Immigration records can show town/townland of origin, and include parents and siblings travelling together
  Newspaper articles, death notices/obituaries, wills etc

Essential details for starting your search in Ireland :

Full name
  Year of birth or marriage
  Place of birth or marriage (i.e. registration district, town, townland, parish)
  For parish records you need to know the denomination of the family

Useful details :
  Names of parents or at least father's name
  Date that family left Ireland

Other details that may help :
  Father's occupation
  Sibling's names

Details from other countries vary greatly depending on the location and timeframe. Some of the specifics are listed in the topics below:

England/Wales   Scotland   U.S.A.  Canada  Australia  New Zealand

In addition this article by John Grenham on the Government of Ireland website is well worth a read as an introduction - http://www.gov.ie/en/essays/genealogy.html  (a couple of details included relating to online records are slightly out of date)
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 November 10 16:28 GMT (UK) »
England/Wales

•   Census 1841/51/61/71/81/91/1901/1911 **
  •   Civil BMD Records - starting Sept 1837
  •   Parish records, wills, poor law records

All of Ireland was once part of the U.K. so records were not/still aren't kept for people travelling between Ireland and England, Scotland and Wales.

** 1911 census is more likely to list a detailed place of birth rather than just the county or ‘Ireland’

See : England General     Wales Resources   (Links to additional resources for England in each County)
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 November 10 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Scotland

•   Census 1841/51/61/71/81/1901/1911
  •   Civil BMD Records
  •   Parish records (OPC), wills, poor law records

(Ireland was part of the UK before independence in 1922 - so there are no immigration records or passenger lists between Ireland and Scotland)

See : Scotland Resources
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 November 10 16:29 GMT (UK) »
U.S.A.

•   Federal and State Census returns
  •   Civil BMD Records - dates and information varies by state
  •   Other records - parish, obituaries, newspaper articles, gravestones, wills etc
  •   Immigration and naturalization records
  •   Passenger arrival lists (Ellis Island/Castle Garden etc)

Main ports Boston, New York (Castle Garden then Ellis Island), Philadelphia, Baltimore, New Orleans

See : U.S. Resources

also check out : Finding Your Irish Immigrant Ancestor's Place of Birth in Ireland
                       (A Genealogy Guide for Irish-Americans - genealogybranches.com)

My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 November 10 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Canada

•   Census returns 1901, 1911 other years are available depending on the Province
  •   Other records - church, obituaries, newspaper articles, wills, gravestones, local histories, etc
  •   Immigration and naturalization records
  •   Passenger arrival lists

See : Canada Resources
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 November 10 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Australia

•   State BMD records
  •   Other records - electoral rolls, parish, obituaries, newspaper articles, wills, directories etc
  •   Convict records

See : Australia Resources
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 November 10 16:30 GMT (UK) »
New Zealand

•   State BMD records
  •   Other records - electoral rolls, parish, obituaries, newspaper articles, wills, directories etc

See : New Zealand Resources & Offers
My Surname Interests