Author Topic: 1861 Leicester lookup  (Read 13378 times)

Offline Geo.

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:1861 Leicester lookup
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 June 04 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mike and Chris,
I'm finding all this information and history very interesting - hurrah for the internet!
I should imagine that Mark Noble was lodging in Robertson Tce prior to his subsequent departure.
Much thanks, George.
Spearing
Noble
Watt

Offline Mike from Leicester

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • " THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. SOMEWHERE"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 June 04 18:54 BST (UK) »
Greeting’s Again George. . . .

I’ve now had that info come through the post today from the St.Mary De Castro Church Warden I saw on Saturday.

There was a Tablet on the Wall with a Coat of Arms under it which I couldn’t start to read on Saturday owning to it was of black slate and very dirty and some 12 feet in the air.
But it was transcribed in the photo copied info and goes thus. . . .

To the precious memory of
HUGH WATTS. gent.
And son and heir of Hugh Watts ( the elder, gent )
Who married Jane the fourth Daughter of SIR THOMAS BURTON Knight and baronette of Stockerston Leicestershire.
Died August 26th. 1656.
There follows an inscription in Latin of his virtues.
It finishes with Aged 45 years.
The description of the Caat of Arm’s of Watts: . .
Impaling Sable, a chevron between three Owls Argent, crowned Or Burton of Stockerston.

Hugh Watts lived at Danett’s Hall, Sited between Bow Bridge and Fosse Road ( the old Roman Rd Fosse way ) it connected to the town via a narrow wooden bridge called “ Watt’s Causeway.”
The original Building was called “ Walsh Hall “ and stood at the bottom of the hill.
However in the early 1700’s Hugh’s son John rebuilt it further up the brow of the hill.
The fore mentioned son, John lost a lot of money in the South Sea Bubble and died in 1728 at the age of 32.
His son William sold Danett’s Hall to his younger brother John. On John’s death in 1769, his wife unable to afford the up keep sold the hall to a Mr Wrightman, and moved to a smaller house in the town. Think this is where the Alexander’s and the Kershaw’s takes over ownership ( see list )
Not sure where the tablet No.3 to “ Mary Mellor ” comes into the equation but it must otherwise why was it in the private Chapel ?

Joseph Noble. . . .
Born in 1798. Frisby–on–the-Wreake.son of the Vicar.
Joseph Graduated from Trinity Collage. Cambridge.
December 1835. Elected onto the council of West St Mary’s Ward.
J. P. by 1839. Alderman by 1841. and Mayor by 1858.
Next year he was elected M P. by  1,496 votes.
He entertained many refugees including the Goetzenburg family and Francek Ptacek at
Danett’s Hall Park.
Whilst on holiday in Spain he was at Malaga when Cholera broke out and he fell victim to the infection and died. A Malaga Hospital was named in his honour.
Those Roads “ Flora, Kate,& Noble” were indeed named after the family.

So it looks like the ownership Danett’s Hall looks something like this:-

1600. Hugh Watts ( elder and Son )
1700. John Watts.
( Moved to the Left a bit. )
1728 William Watts. ( Emanate Physician )
1769. John Watts.
1769. Mr Wrightman.
1822. Edward Alexander.
1832. John & Elizabeth Kershaw.
1834/5. Joseph Noble.
1861. Joseph’s Daughters.
1864. Demolished.
That list is based on the dates from all the tablets plus the snippets of history gained from the Church Guide and the copied info. . . .Hope I’ve got it about right.

I know it still doesn’t pin point when the date when the Hall was demolished.
So it must have been around 61 - 64.

I can’t help asking myself the following questions ?

Where did the money come from to pay for the restored Chapel ?
Why did Mark come back to the UK 65 to 68 was his money running out ?
Why is there no mention of Mark other that on that agreement ?

When time permits I’ll have a return trip to the Church and have a good look at that agreement again.

MIKE.

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Researching :-

Isle of Wight.          Oxfordshire / Warwickshire.

Cassell.                   Powers. 
Draper.                   Hirons.
Combs.                   Botts.
Stallard.                 Hall.

Offline Geo.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 June 04 01:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mike, I've recorded that info' that you've so kindly provided.  :)

Yes, Mark tend to hide in the shadows a bit!
Not sure if his money was running out when he left NZ - his NZ probate gave his NZ assets as being valued at six hundred and twenty pounds and two shillings, that amount would have mostly been the assessed value of Casanova House I should think.
(he'd left 200 to an 'Eliza Feston' - no address given, and that was the only benefactor listed in his 1862 NZ will, apart from anyone having claim to any debts owed)
The house was on over a 100 acres at the time, and at one stage he was registered as a, 'run holder',  owning horses and sheep.
He doesn't appear to have married at all, or have had any brothers, so that, male 'Noble' line may have petered out with his death.
I'm still awaiting news re' his death certificate from the Malta Records office, hopefully that may hold a wee bit more information.
Oddly, I've discovered that although he died in Malta, he was buried in Bagni Di Lucca, Tuscany, Italy, some 42 days later!
(I trust his coffin was well sealed!)
Maybe he had expressed a wish to be buried there - Bagni was a popular place with it's spa's, and had been the haunt of the likes of Byron and Shelley.
He may well have 'discovered' Italy and Bagni after possibly visiting his fathers grave in Spain.
Thanks yet again!
Regards, George

Spearing
Noble
Watt

Offline Geo.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 June 04 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,
Afraid you've mixed up the last two digits - he was born in 1834!

In the record I found, he was born in Leicester, his parents listed as Joseph Noble and Mary (nee Kershaw, previous owners of Danet's Hall)

Have also just discovered that he arrived in Auckland via Melbourne, as a saloon passenger on board the Mermaid out of London, on Nov 22nd, 1860. The passage took 81 days, (fairly fast for those days I'd say) so he must have left England just before his father Joseph contracted  cholera whilst in Spain.
I would imagine that his father Joseph was the main source of income for the family, so his death would have been felt in a financial way, and wonder if our Mark was a bit of a, 'Remittance Man'!
Regards, George.

(Have received notifiaction from Malta that the death cert' is on it's way)

Spearing
Noble
Watt

Offline Mike from Leicester

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • " THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. SOMEWHERE"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 June 04 23:15 BST (UK) »
Whoops. . . .Must get out more. ..
Sorry I've deleted that lot. . .

You say he was born in 1834 ? Was that the year Mary died 27th. March ?
So I wonder who brought Mark up then ?

At this rate you'll have this wrapped up by Christmas  ;D

MIKE.
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Researching :-

Isle of Wight.          Oxfordshire / Warwickshire.

Cassell.                   Powers. 
Draper.                   Hirons.
Combs.                   Botts.
Stallard.                 Hall.

Offline Pearsonica

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Leicester lookup
« Reply #23 on: Monday 04 April 11 23:03 BST (UK) »
My Great Gt Gt Grandfather was Rev John Noble the father of Joseph Noble. It has been interesting reading the above. Much I have found out myself. I will try to add a little I have found
Born 1798 Frisby
1826 - Cambridge University
26 Dec 1835     West St Mary's Ward, Leicester
    Elected Member of the newly formed City of Leicester Council
Dec 1835 - Graduated Trinnity College, Cambridge
9 Nov 1841 Elected Alderman of Leicester
1841 Purchased Danet's Hall, Leicester in this year
1851 Census Danet's Hall, Leicester, Leicestershire
19 Apr 1859 Resigned as Mayor of Leicester
1859 Elected Member of Parliament for the Borough of Leicester
6 Jan 1861     Malaga, Spain
    Died of Cholera. Burried at the British Cemetary
He was Married to Mary Joanna Kershaw daughter of the previous owner John Kershaw of Danet's Hall. they had four Children
The Children Were:-
Ellen Ann Noble b 1827 - d March 1865
1841 Census shows the family living at Watt's Causeway, St Marys district of Leicester, Leicestershire, England
1851 Census shows Ellan is living at 1 Woodbine Cottage Bonchurch Isle of Wight
1861 Census shows she is back home at Danets Hall
Margaret Noble b 1831 - Death unknown
Married Dr. Andrew Whyte Barclay 1863
Two Children - Moved to Kensington, London  
Mary Isobel Noble Barclay b 1865
Henry Noble Barclay b 1867
Sarah Elizabeth Noble b 1832 d 17 Sep 1854
To the precious memory of SARAH ELIZABETH. The daughter of JOSEPH WILLIAM NOBLE MP. And MARY JOANNA his wife Who died September 17th. 1854. In the 22nd year of her age.
It may be the sister returned to Danet hall from the isle of white due to SARAHs illness.
Mark Ward Noble b 18 Mar 1834 in Danet's Hall, Leicester, Leicestershire d 5 Apr 1868 Malta
30 Mar 1855 - Magdalen Hall, Oxford
1858 Magdalen Hall, Oxford - Obtained his B.A.
1859 A student of Lincoln’s Inn, 1859
1869 Lincoln's Inn - Obtained his M.A.
22 Nov 1860     Aukland, New Zealand
Mark arrived in Auckland as a saloon passenger aboard the, ‘Mermaid’ on Nov 22nd, 1860. The ‘Mermaid’ then continued on for Lyttelton on Dec 1st.
7 Apr 1868 Burial - Ta Braxia Cemetery, Malta,
He was then disinterred and buried in Italy
17 May 1868 Burial - Bagni Di Lucca, Tuscany, Italy
He lies in the cemetery of the, ‘English Church’ built there in 1800
Regards
Ian Pearson

Offline Pearsonica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Leicester lookup - Mark Ward Noble
« Reply #24 on: Monday 04 April 11 23:05 BST (UK) »

I found this info on him
Mark Ward Noble – Summary Born: March 18th, 1834, Leicester. Died: April 5th, 1868 at Malta, aged 34. Buried: Ta Braxia Cemetery, Malta, April 7th, 1868. He was then disinterred and buried at Bagni Di Lucca, Tuscany, Italy on May 17th, 1868. He lies in the cemetery of the, ‘English Church’ built there in 1800. Educated: Caius College, Cambridge. Then attended Oxford - Matriculated from Magdalen Hall on March 30th, 1855, aged 21. BA 1858, MA 1860. A student of Lincoln’s Inn, 1859. Mark arrived in Auckland as a saloon passenger aboard the, ‘Mermaid’ on Nov 22nd, 1860. The ‘Mermaid’ then continued on for Lyttelton on Dec 1st. He settled in Oamaru, returning to England in 1865, and residing first at 33 Bury Street, St. James’s, Middlesex, and then at 13 Robertson Terrace, Hastings, Sussex, (both boarding houses) before leaving for Malta sometime before his death there. His Italian burial record gives his, ‘place of Abode’ as Malta. His death certificate gives his, ‘place of death’ as No.7 Prince of Wales Street, Sliema, Malta. Mark had lived briefly at 33 Bury Street before, (an up-market boarding house not far from Picadilly) just prior to heading out to New Zealand, where he built Casa Nova, no doubt with his, ‘old’ house in mind! It is similar in appearance. On the death of his father in 1861, Danet’s Hall was purchased by the County and demolished to make room for the town’s expansion. Notices of his death appeared for two consecutive issues in both the ‘Otago Daily Times’ and the ‘Oamaru Times’ from June 22nd, 1869. I could find no evidence of military enlistment, and suspect he remained mainly in the Oamaru/Otago area as a civilian until leaving NZ for the UK, sometime shortly after March 4th, 1865. The local militia unit ‘Rifle Rangers’ was not formed until February 1865, and it did not see active service until the end of 1865. By then Mark had well and truly re-surfaced in England. He was certainly in the Oamaru area when the house was built by Glass & Grenfell in 1861, and also when his will was signed in 1862. I found entries in museum archives that showed he had won a ploughing medal for ‘best horses’ in Oamaru on Sept 26th, 1863. There were also entries that indicated that he was registered as running sheep in Oamaru in September, 1864. Also, the following advert appeared 3-4 times in sequential issues of the, ‘Oamaru Times & Waitaki Reporter’ starting August 25th, 1864 To Let on Lease For eighteen months from March 1st, 1865. Casanova Near Oamaru, the property of Mark Noble Esq., consisting of a substantial 2 storey Stone House, Furnished, containing on the ground floor, Drawing Room, Dining Room, Hall, kitchen, Larder, and Bedroom. On the first floor there are five Bedrooms and Dining Room; also Bath Room, etc. There are also a detached Wash-house, wooden Stables for 8 horses, Coach-House, etc., Together with 100 Acres of Land, of which about 5 acres are in lawn and vegetable garden; two paddocks of 10 acres each, in permanent English pasture; and 15 acres in crop. There is permanent supply of water in the two paddocks. Also an excellent stock paddock, of 60 acres, well watered and sheltered. For further particulars, apply (either personally or by letter) to Mr. Noble, Oamaru. Oamaru, 24th August, 1864. Further to this, the ‘Otago Witness’ ran several weekly adverts offering the services of his stallion ‘Champion’ standing at Casanova, and signed by Mark Noble. The last of these adverts was entered on March 4th, 1865. As a voyage to the UK would have taken several months, and he arrived back in the UK in 1865, it looks very much like he left Oamaru to travel to a ‘major’ port, with the intention of boarding a ship returning to England. Census Information 1841 Census, Leicester. Danett’s Hall. Joseph William Noble 44yrs Physician – born in the County Mark Ward Noble 7yrs “ Sarah Elizabeth Noble 8yrs “ (died Sept 17th, 1854) Ellen Ann Noble 14yrs “ Margaret Noble 10yrs “ Mary Ann Bramley 45yrs not born in the County Eliza Smith 34yrs “ Plus four servants. 1851 Census, Leicester. Danett’s Hall. Joseph William Noble 55yrs Magistrate and consulting physician. Mark W. Noble 17yrs Scholar. 1861 Census,Leicester Danett’s Hall. Ellen Noble, 34, Head, landowner, b. Dannett’s Hal Margaret Noble, 30, b.Dannett’s Hall Elizabeth, 52, Aunt, married, b. South Scarle Mary Ann Bramley, 66, visitor, single, b. Halifax, Yorks. Francis Warren, 7, visitor, b. St. Pancras, London. Plus two boarders and two servants. Mark’s mother was Mary Joanna Noble, (nee Kershaw, daughter of the former owners of Danet’s Hall) died March 27th, 1834, aged 35. Her death was nine days after Mark’s birth, so could have been a result of childbirth. Mark’s father Joseph William Noble, was christened March 13th, 1797 at Frisby-on-the-Wreake, Leicester. He died, and was buried in Malaga, Spain, in 1861, after contracting cholera whilst helping to fight an outbreak of the disease there. Mark’s paternal grandfather, was John Noble, died 25th August, 1840 aged 80 – vicar of Frisby for 40yrs. Mark’s paternal grandmother was Sarah died Jan 28th, 1843, aged 69yrs. His maternal grandparents were, John and Elizabeth Kershaw, former owners of Danet’s Hall. Paternal Aunts and Uncles…. Lettia, christened 1802 Ann, christened 1803 John, christened 1804 Charles, christened 1808
Regards
Ian Pearson

Offline Pearsonica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Leicester lookup - Dr Joseph William Noble MP
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 April 11 23:20 BST (UK) »
Dr Joseph William Noble MP
Taken from the Rols of the past Lord Mayors of Leicester Son of the Rev. John Noble, sometime vicar of Frisby on the Wreake, in the county of Leicestershire. Born 1798, elected a Member of the newly formed council on 26th December 1835 for West St. Mary's Ward. Appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1839 and elected an Alderman on 9th November 1841. He resided at Dannets Hall, Leicester.(Now since demolished) Married and had issue. Noble Street takes its name from his family. Alderman Noble resigned the mayoralty on 19th April 1859 to contest the borough in Parlement, being duly returned. He died from an attack of Cholera, at Malaga on the south coast of Spain, whither he had gone to recruit his health, 6th January 1861, aged 63. He was burried in the British Cemetery there. M. I. (? Monument Inscription)St Mary's Leicester. His will, dated 12 May 1855, was received at Leicester on 4th April 1861 by the oaths of the Rev. John Noble, Ckerk brother, and John Beasley, the executors. Effects sworn under £16,000.

Offline henryk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Leicester lookup
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 09:05 BST (UK) »
Mike from Leicester
I am researching the KERSHAW family and would like to use the information which you posted on Danetts Hall and relevant memorials, in my family write up with due accreditation. John KERSHAW was one of the sons of my gt*4 grandfather James KERSHAW of Shaw Hill, Halifax. John K married Elizabeth WATERHOUSE of Danetts Hall and previously Halifax,
Henryk