Author Topic: Ade family  (Read 12161 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ade family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 December 10 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Roy,

Very interesting details that help give background which I have applied to the "Family Trees" on Ancestry in the hope that there may ancestors searching.   Sadly, nothing.

I have all his information for Parkhurst Prison, eventual transportation on the convict ship "Randolph" and arrival in NSW, but there his story ends......!!!

For the moment

Tony

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 December 10 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I have occasionally found names get a bit changed. 
But I suppose you've also looked for him under things like Aid, Adey & Addy?

Having looked again at the Brighton deaths, they may help explain why no one else seemed to tie to John's family, for it is possible that several siblings had died by 1846 when he was arrested.
Deaths 1843 ADE    Maria (mother or sister?) Brighton
Deaths 1844 ADE    Ann   (sister?) Brighton
Deaths 1846 Ade    Lucy (sister?) Brighton
Deaths 1855 Ade         Maria (mother or sister?) Brighton
If most of the above were his family, why did they die and was John placed in the parish workhouse in Dyke Road?   

Genes Reunited has someone that possibly ties in with John's sibling, Eliza Ade of Brighton.  Their Eliza Ade married in 1857 to a George Slater and had daughters called Maria & Lucy, the names of her two possible deceased sisters.  The birth year the GR subscriber has given for Eliza is 1839, but there is not a FreeBMD entry that matches this and the censuses suggest she could have been born up to 2 years earlier.  If they are connected, in 1861 they are living at 25 Blackman Street, Brighton with 3 y.o. Maria A and 7 m.o. Lucy. In the 1971 census 33 y.o. George is a painter living at 13 Marshall's Row, with 32 y.o. Eliza a laundress and in 1881 they are living at 7 Wakefield Rd Brighton.

By the way.  I now think the Marylebone connection was just a coincidence that could have led to a false trail.

Roy G

Offline mangrovian60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ade family
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 December 10 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I have some info on James Ade of Barcombe - son of Durrant Ade - if you are interested!

Offline grouty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 December 10 21:10 GMT (UK) »
To: Mangrovian  I would be very interested in the info you have on James Ade of Barcombe,  I can see if he is mentioned on a large family tree we have.   Thank you.   

My ultimate aim is to find out how the grandfather of George Ade(famous American Writer) who was a John Ade who married an Esther Wood(in Lewes) is connected to our family tree.
Will post dates later.
Parish - Middlesex UK, Canada

Offline mnmilt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 December 10 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grouty,
Can you give some dates for the Charles Ade of Milton Court Farm?  I have a few Ades in my tree:

Charles Ade (1756-1820; buried Wilmington) m Elizabeth Bodle
Elizabeth Bodle was my gggg great-aunt

Elizabeth Ade (b 1715?, d 1743) m John Bodle.
Elibath and John were my gggggg great grandparents

Frances Ade (b 1824 in Teddington, M'sex?; d 1890 in Eastbourne District) m William Edward Roods
William Edward Roods was my 2nd cousin 5 times removed.

Do you have details on any of the above?

Regards

Mark
Milton - Brighton, Eastbourne
Foord - Westham, Ringmer
Sellens/Sellins/Sellings - Sedlescombe, Crowhurst
Cash - Tonbridge, Kent
Harding - Horsham
Bodle - Hailsham, Alfriston
Crowhurst - Hailsham, Westham
Roods/Roads/Rhodes - Hailsham, Westham
Sinnock - Hailsham
Silsby - Brighton
Thomas - Brighton
Tullett - Brighton
Verrall - Sussex

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grouty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 December 10 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,  The Charles Ade and Elizabeth Bodle you mention were the parents of Charles Ade(Baptised 1870) (who married a Catherine Pocock) of Milton Court Farm.  This Charles Ade was my husband's g g grandfather. 

Not all the daughters of the Ade families were followed up on the family trees we have, but do some more searching later.
Parish - Middlesex UK, Canada

Offline looking for james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 09:58 GMT (UK) »
hi tony

i understand you are familiar with the parkhurst lads on the simon taylor

my ancestor was james mortimer.  we have found his old bailey trial and many other records (his marriage certificate lists his father as james thomas mortimer, lawyer) but we are unable to determine his parentage.

would you have any idea how to go further?

thanks

jennie

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jennie,

Be delighted to help you.

I have a Biography for James MORTIMER which I completed with the help of his Great Grandson, Kevin Mortimer, in February 2005.   There is quite a substantial amount of detail, though little about his life prior to transportation, partly because he was already imprisoned before the 1841 England Census. 

Do please let me have your email address so that I can send you my manuscript and, if you wish, a note of Kevin's email address too, although this is now 5 years ago.   My address is:

Sorry, e-mail address removed as per rootschat policy - please use the private message facility. - Global Moderator
For the moment,

Tony

Offline looking for james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 23:21 GMT (UK) »
hi tony

i have recently made contact with kevin as i am photographing all 19 graves of JTM's grandchildren (one is my grandmother mary maude burrows nee mortimer).  however i havent asked him much detail and he is 87 so im hoping you can help. 

yes the 1841 issue is the sticking point.  he was convicted for fraud (obtaining 3 sovereigns by false pretences) at central criminal courts 17/9/1838 aged 14, making him born 1824 or 1825.  he was from lewisham at that time (tho apparently also of lambeth).  he was an errand boy and trained as a tailor in parkhurst (at hulk euryalus prior to parkhurst). said (on his marriage certificate) his father was also jtm and was a lawyer, but told his apprenticeship employer his name was john.

the pallot marriage indexhas 14 marriages for james mortimer (father) between 1790 and 1834.

its the parentage im trying to pursue.

roots chat doesnt want you to give your email.

mine is jenniedotburrowsatkidsdotnswdotgovdotau