Author Topic: CLEALL / CLEAL / CLAILL  (Read 3914 times)

Offline Georgie9528

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CLEALL / CLEAL / CLAILL
« on: Monday 29 November 10 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am researching my husband's ancestor George Daniel Cleall  who was 29 at time of his marriage to Frances Roberts in Salisbury, South Australia, in 1874.  George Daniel's father was also called George Cleall, and George Daniel married in the house of George Cleall.  Both father and son were in Salisbury in the 1860's, I have newspaper articles showing this.
(However, I have not been able to find my George Daniel Cleall's DOB or birth place)

BUT  have been given some info on a George Daniel Claill, born 21-Sept-1843, Guernsey, Channel Islands, father - George Claill and mother Mary-Anne Drew, found on Beta Family Search.

I have found a GEO CLEAL and his mother MARY CLEAL who arrived in Victoria on the CYCLONE in 1857.
This Mary Cleal died in Adelaide, South Australia.  My George Daniel lived in Salisbury, South Australia until his death. 

I there anyone from Guernsey out there on RootsChat that can find any more info on the above George Daniel Claill and his parents George and Mary?  Migration info, marriage details for George and Mary, birth details for George and Mary, and more on their parents? 

I know this is asking a lot and I would appreciate any help you may be able to give  me.

Thank you kindly.

Georgie
GEORGE CLEALL
CAROLINE SANDFORD

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: CLEALL / CLEAL / CLAILL
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 October 11 00:36 BST (UK) »
I found the following information from David W Kreckeler's Book "Guernsey Emigrants to Australia 1828-1899"

Ship - Melbourne 1856
George Cleale aged 42, Mariner.
(Born St Peter Port Guernsey approx 1814 - birth details not traced)

Ship- Cyclone 1857
Mary Ann Cleale aged 36 (wife of George Cleale above), Son George Cleale (13)

George Cleale (Son of George Cleale) of St Peter Port Guernsey married Mary Ann Drew, Daughter of William Drew of Plymouth Devon 20/12/1840, St Peter Port Guernsey

1841 Census at Court Street, St Peter Port Guernsey
George Cleal (25) B 1816 Mariner B St Peter Port Guernsey
Mary Ann Cleal (20) B 1821 Wife B England

1851 Census at 12 Canichers, St Peter Port Guernsey
George Cleale (37) B 1814 Sailor, Merchant Service B St Peter Port Guernsey
Mary Ann Cleale (33) B 1818 Wife B England
George Cleale (7) B 1844 Son B St Peter Port Guernsey

Hope this helps
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 October 11 00:57 BST (UK) »
I believe the following Drews and Cleal's are related to yours.

1841 Census at Forest Lane, St Peter Port Guernsey
William Drew (25) B 1816 Tin Worker B England
Jane Drew (25) B 1816 Wife B Guernsey 
Emma Drew (3) B 1838 Daughter B St Peter Port Guernsey
William Drew (2) B 1839 Son B St Peter Port Guernsey
John Cleal (25) B 1816 Brick Maker B Guernsey
Frances Cleal (25) B 1816 Wife B England (nee Drew)
Charlotte Cleal (5mths) B 1841 Daughter B St Peter Port Guernsey
George Walker (55) B 1786 Carpenter B England
Mary Ann Drew (45) B 1796 Tailoress B England (Mother of Mary Cleal nee Drew?)
Jane Drew (15) B 1826 B England
George Drew (10) B 1831 Apprentice Shoemaker B England
Elizabeth Drew (eight) B 1833 B Guernsey
Caroline Drew (5) B 1836 B Guernsey

Per Ancestry website.

George Cleal born 1814 was the son of George Cleal born 1784 in Dorset and Susanna Cleal nee Churchouse also born Dorset.

George Daniel Cleal, had an older sister Amelia Jane Cleal Born 12/9/1841 St Peter Port, Died 15/2/1843 St Peter Port.

John Cleal who married Frances Drew was the brother of George Cleal.  Frances was the sister of Mary Ann Drew.
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 October 11 01:14 BST (UK) »
At the time of the 1851 Census, George Cleal Senior born 1783 was residing in the Hospital/Workhouse of St Peter Port Guernsey.  His marital status was married, his occupation Brickmaker and his place of birth provided as South Perrot Dorset

Wife Susanna Cleal born 1783 was also at the Hospital/Workhouse of St Peter Port Guernsey.  Marital status married, Tradesman's wife, place of birth Langton Dorset

I was unable to trace George and Susanna on the 1841 Census.

At the time of the 1851 Census Mary Drew senior born 1791 was residing at 6 Forest Lane, St Peter Port Guernsey.  She was a Widow and a Tailoress born Portsmouth England.  She was residing with her two unmarried daughters Elizabeth Drew (18) and Caroline Drew (16), both born St Peter Port Guernsey

Offline Georgie9528

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 October 11 09:10 BST (UK) »
Dear History Fan,

Thank you so very much for the information that you have posted on my Cleall family.  Over the past year I have been able to find/access the Channel Island Census and I have also posted a request for information in the Guernsey Press, and have had some success.  I will digest the information that you have provided and I can see already that there is some extra information that you have provided me.  I am very grateful for you interest and help and can't wait to update my records accordingly.  Once I digest the information you have provided I will message you again.  Thank you again for the information. Regards
GEORGE CLEALL
CAROLINE SANDFORD