Author Topic: CHALONER/CHALLONER *COMPLETED*  (Read 9302 times)

Offline Crocus65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
CHALONER/CHALLONER *COMPLETED*
« on: Tuesday 30 November 10 05:30 GMT (UK) »
Would someone be willing to look up a birth register for one Thomas Chaloner, born about 1521, Llansilin, son of Jonas Chaloner and possibly brother of George Chaloner.

Ultimately, we would like to find the father and mother of Jonas Chaloner, but that may be pushing it. Thomas is alleged to have become Headmaster of Shrewsbury School  frm 1637-1645. His father, Jonas, later became Rector of Byfield, Northamptonshire, 1597; Rector of Much Wenlock, 1613; Vicar of Condover, 1615.

I would appreciate any help possible to help us tear down this brickwall  :)http://
PIERCE/PEARCE/PIEARCE - Shropshire/Montgomeryshire
LLOYD - Ditto
DAVIES - Ditto
MOODEY - Ditto
VAUGHAN - Ditto
EDWARDS - Ditto
FOULKES - Ditto
SPENCER - Ditto
YEOMANS - Ditto
HARRIS - Ditto
WHITE - England & Scotland
McARTHUR - Scotland
OGDEN - England
BRANDON - Ireland
LOGUE - ?
COBURN - Ireland
COLLIER - England
CABANAN (and variations) - France & French Canada (Argentieul)

Offline JustLooking

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: CHALONER/CHALLONER
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome  :)

You're very lucky to get as far as you have. Some of us have brick walls that are firmly entrenched 1-200 years later.

The parish records for Llansilin only begin in the mid-17 century - say around 1660s - so that you would have to use other sources.

You could try the online records at the National Library

http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=2

It might  be worth contacting the Llansilin Local History Society, listed here:

http://www.local-history.co.uk/Groups/salop.html

Also, note that part of Llansilin was in the parish of Oswestry.

What is the source of your information on a 1521 birth date?

JL
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 06:36 GMT (UK) »

Hi Crocus and Ju... Ga... JL ;)

I'm sceptical about "1521" too.  I think we may be looking at a transcription error here -- Thomas's baptismal year 1621 rather than 1521?  Even then,  not much to find in PRs,  as JL says:  first Llansilin registers/BTs start in 1666 per GENUKI.

Was one of the sources used the Joseph Morris collection at Shrewsbury RO?  If not seen yet,  this page in the Community Trees section of the LDS site (and other pp. nearby) would be worth a read.

I have an idea that there is a Chaloner pedigree somewhere in one of the BL Harleian MSS that originally came from the 17th c. Randle Holmes heraldic practice at Chester.  As you perhaps know,  the first Randle Holmes married the widow of Thomas Chaloner of Chester,  and succeeded to his pedigree collections and genealogical research as well as to his wife.  Somewhere in the range Harl. 1970 to Harl. 1977,  I would guess.

You might try having a browse in Owen's Catalogue of MSS relating to Wales in the BM,  if you have not already been there and done that.  There should be a few hits for Chaloner and variants.

Rol

ADDED:  I see per the LDS site that "1521" is the DoB attributed to the Thomas Chaloner who was knighted and based in London.  They source this to Bartrum's WG2 (vol.8 p.1251) -- so maybe he cites primary evidence ibid?  In any event,  plainly not the same Thomas as the one you are chasing.  Bartrum says Sir TC kt. was still living 1565,  but apparently mentions no sightings thereafter.

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 17:06 GMT (UK) »

Crocus,  I've just spotted that you have another thread active about these Chaloners on the Staffs. Lookup Requests board.  Posting a link here for ease of ref. and avoidance of duplication.

R

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Crocus65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for doing that.

I posted to the Staffordshire forum re: Jonas Chaloner, b. about 1566 [NOT 1521, as previously thought], as he was born there. And I posted to the Denbighshire forum re: his son, Thomas Chaloner, b. about 1600, who was born at Llanfilin. Apologies if it was not correct to do so.

This is my first time using this medium and must say how very grateful I am for the generosity of people replying to my requests.
LLOYD - Ditto
DAVIES - Ditto
MOODEY - Ditto
VAUGHAN - Ditto
EDWARDS - Ditto
FOULKES - Ditto
SPENCER - Ditto
YEOMANS - Ditto
HARRIS - Ditto
McARTHUR - Scotland
OGDEN - England
BRANDON - Ireland
LOGUE - ?
COBURN - Ireland
COLLIER - England

Offline JustLooking

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello  :)

Can we clarify if it was Llanfyllin or Llansilin, please. They are not far from each other but Llanfyllin is usually classified as Montgomeryshire.  In those day it was probably just Hundreds, though.

During the 16-17th century some of my more affluent borderers moved around from border county to border county and they were very difficult to trace. In fact I might start a request for some of them  :)

Hello Rol - will leave this to you. It's your kind of story  ;) ;) ;)

JL
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Crocus65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 18:35 GMT (UK) »
My sincerest apologies!

It is Llansilin which is located about 6 miles west of Oswestry.

My Thomas Chaloner, Headmaster of Shrewsbury School from 1637-45,  was born about 1600. Parents were Jonas Chaloner and his first wife, Elizabeth (surname unknown).

I've also since discovered Jonas Chaloner was born in Staffordshire about 1566, NOT 1521, as previously stated.
Genealogy would be such a treat to do if it were not for the dates involved :-)
LLOYD - Ditto
DAVIES - Ditto
MOODEY - Ditto
VAUGHAN - Ditto
EDWARDS - Ditto
FOULKES - Ditto
SPENCER - Ditto
YEOMANS - Ditto
HARRIS - Ditto
McARTHUR - Scotland
OGDEN - England
BRANDON - Ireland
LOGUE - ?
COBURN - Ireland
COLLIER - England

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 20:05 GMT (UK) »

... Apologies if it was not correct to do so.

No need for any!  Quite right to get the sub-parts of the puzzle in front of the relevant audiences.  Ideally best to post X-ref. links at the same time,  but people often need a bit of time on the site before they find the Help page about doing such semi-techie things.
:)

Hello Rol - will leave this to you. It's your kind of story  ;) ;) ;)

:)
Do keep your eye on us though,  JL -- you've much more claim to be a Marcher Lady than I have,  and it's all pretty near your home patch!
;) ;)

Rol

Offline Crocus65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 23:45 GMT (UK) »
I am the first to admit the intricacies of the RootsChat.com forum have not yet filtered through to my pre-cyberspace brain. My younger son always says, when I ask a techie type question, "Have you read the manual, Mom?"

SO, it seems, I'd better get with it and read the HELP section!
Thanks for your patience and understanding :)
LLOYD - Ditto
DAVIES - Ditto
MOODEY - Ditto
VAUGHAN - Ditto
EDWARDS - Ditto
FOULKES - Ditto
SPENCER - Ditto
YEOMANS - Ditto
HARRIS - Ditto
McARTHUR - Scotland
OGDEN - England
BRANDON - Ireland
LOGUE - ?
COBURN - Ireland
COLLIER - England