Author Topic: CHALONER/CHALLONER *COMPLETED*  (Read 9331 times)

Offline yllahc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CHALONER/CHALLONER *COMPLETED*
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 March 20 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Forfarian. I am searching for the parents of Jonas Chaloner, born 1566 in Staffordshire. I have reason to believe he was the illegitimate child of Robert Dudleigh and Queen Elizabeth 1.   My request is not to trace the parents of Jonas, (if the information just given is correct!), but to ask how he might have been given his surname and Christian name. I do have a "possibility", since  a certain John Chaloner was a servant of Robert Dudleigh. Is it likely that this "John" adopted the child, and gave him his names. My interest in all this is that I am a direct descendant of Jonas.

Offline yllahc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 March 20 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Crocus 65. I don't know if you'll read this, as it a while since you wrote. But in case you do, Greetings from across the "pond",  from another person interested in finding the parents of Jonas Chaloner, as I am a direct descendant of Jonas.  I've been searching  for the parents for many years (would you believe 20 or more!?), and the latest theory I have (unproven yet) is that Jonas was an illegitimate son of Robert Dudleigh and Queen Elizabeth 1. I have a distant relative (a John Chaloner) who was a servant of Lord Robert Dudleigh, and MAY have taken the illegitimate child home and raised him as a "Chaloner". I would love to get confiirmation of this, wouldn't you!?

Offline DaveyWavey70

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 09:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm finding this thread fascinating. I Recently started researching my family tree and Thomas Chaloner was my 9th Great Grandfather. Id be most grateful for any information that anybody has on him and would be willing to share. Id also be fascinated to find out if there is any truth in the rumour of his grandparents!
Many thanks in advance.