Author Topic: Meaghers from Fethard / Killusty / Kiltinan  (Read 2797 times)

Offline nmeagher

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Meaghers from Fethard / Killusty / Kiltinan
« on: Tuesday 30 November 10 06:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find further information on my relatives that I've traced back to Kiltinan and College, buried in the cemetery at Killusty. 

James Meagher and Margaret Cotter married probably around 1800, died in 1839 /40.  They had 4 children POST keeping of records: William b. 1814, James b. 1816, John b. 1818 and Nancy b. 1820. 
My ancestor Lawrence Meagher was born in 1806, however no records exist.  He emigrated to Quebec, Canada -- not sure when but before his marriage there in 1847 -- guessing about 1840.  We have pretty good records from there on out.  It looks like there was another brother Michael Meagher that was also born prior to records being kept in the parish.  I've learned that William went to Australia in 1840, Nancy to Quebec as well. 

I'd love to learn of anyone else who has ties to this family, or knowledge of other ancestors, whether forwards or backwards in time. 

Thanks!  Nancy

Offline JONESHAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Meaghers from Fethard / Killusty / Kiltinan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nancy,
First thing i think to work out is if they were RC of Protestant. completely different lot of church records to find!
There may not be civil records of that time but the individual churches and parishes kept there own.
I have a Church of Ireland Meagher who married a Lane Baker from Fethard about late 1790.
I do not think the families are connected as their daughter Jane Meagher Lane Baker kept a journal that she sent to Australia and she would of written if she had an Uncle in Aus.

Offline klongo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Meaghers from Fethard / Killusty / Kiltinan
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 September 18 13:10 BST (UK) »
I am also searching for Meagher/Maher ancestors from Clonmel/Kiltinan /Killusty area.   My 2nd Great Grandfather was Malachi Meagher/Maher.  He was presumably born 1799 according to census records. There is Griffith Valuation records for Malachi Meagher in Clonmel/Kiltinan/Killusty.   My Great Grandfather is Michael Maher, born 1843.  His baptism records are from Cashel/Emly. They immigrated to Michigan, USA in 1852.   My 2nd Great Grandmother is Catherine "Kitty" Hickey.   I cannot find anything specific to her family although there was Griffith Valuation records for a William Hickey in Clonmel/Kiltinan/Tullow.   Siblings to my Great Grandfather, Michael, were John(1829), Patt(1835),Margaret(1837), James(1839), and Bridget(1849).   

The family was Roman Catholic.

Does anyone have any links to Malachi, Catherine, or Michael?