Author Topic: Emanuel Goodhart of Limehouse, sugar refiner  (Read 11344 times)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Emanuel Goodhart of Limehouse, sugar refiner
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 December 10 21:27 GMT (UK) »

The Residents' site continues its narrative by stating
The Buck[n]all family lived at Langley Court until 1914, when they ran into financial difficulties. ... The Mansion was then unoccupied for a time, and was used during the first World War as a camp for Officer prisoners of war ... At the end of the War, [Henry] Wellcome [the pharmaceutical magnate and creator of the Wellcome Foundation] bought Langley Court for £32,000 (together with the 105 acres originally bought by Bucknall) as the answer to his need to relocate his Physiological Research Laboratories from Brockwell Park. The remainder of the Goodhart estate was sold for residential development [--] the current Park Langley estate.

The site describes its account as a summary of "a short booklet written in 1994 by Dr. Arthur Newman, one of Wel[l]come's directors" -- and that booklet would doubtless provide fuller information.  But it looks as though Geoffrey William Tookey is the person who in recent times has most fully researched the history of the Langley estate;  unfortunately his study seems to be only available in hardcopy:  see this Bromley Library catalogue entry.  The websites already mentioned may well have used his work as their principal source.  It also seems that the same library has on file a Goodhart genealogical tree*,  focused primarily on the descendants of Charles Emanuel Goodhart -- which I suppose could have been prepared by the Nicholas Goodhart mentioned in the two previous posts.

The implications of all this seem to be that the Goodharts held on to the main house despite selling Langley Farm to the Bucknalls.  The 1891 and 1901 census entries seem to confirm as much.  But by the time of the 1913 fire they were gone -- and had probably shut Langley Park up and left it empty well before the 1908 sale to H & G Taylor.

So which was the house with the "Star of David" water hoppers (as mentioned towards the end of my Reply 1 above,  citing this webpage)?  Almost definitely Langley Court;  and I have accordingly added a little note seeking to eliminate any confusion between the two houses in the comment field provided near the foot of said page.

Best I can do for now,  without access to hardcopy sources . . .

Rol

P.S.  The Wellcome Library's website hosts an online image of Langley Court in the 1920s here (enter Langley into browser's Page Search field).  Not much detail of the rainwater system visible though!

* (For fuller info about this tree,  see next post.)

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 December 10 22:40 GMT (UK) »

The identity of the author of the genealogical table held at Bromley Library (see previous post) is made clear by the online catalogue maintained by the Society of Genealogists in London:  it was Leander McCormick-Goodhart,  elder son of the Frederick who married Henrietta ("Nettie") McCormick and went to live in the USA.  In fact he produced more than one study about the family,  as these catalogue listings demonstrate:
Genealogical tree of a section of the Goodhart family in England with special reference to ...[probable omitted text if as Bromley Library's version: the Descendants of the late Charles Emanuel Goodhart of ... ] Langley Park, Beckenham, Kent
[Large sheet, folded in green linen case, 10"]
Published: Nd. [although if as Bromley version,  date was 1934]

Genealogical tree of the descendants of Charles Emanuel Goodhart of Langley Park, Beckenham, Kent : descent to August 15, 1955 [Typescript.]
Published: 1955

Genealogy of the line of the Goodharts of Langley Park, Beckenham, Kent
[Typescript; 17pp (Grey card, 11½")]
Published: 1960

Some additional background about this branch of the family may not come amiss here.  Leander McCormick-Goodhart served in the trade division at the Admiralty in London during the First World War.  He later followed his parents to Washington DC.  His marriage there in 1928 was recorded in the NY Times as per this snippet:
MISS JANET PHILLIPS IS WED IN WASHINGTON
Becomes the Bride of Leander McCormick-Goodhart--British Ambassador and Staff Attend.

April 29, 1928,   p.25

WASHINGTON, April 28.--The marriage of Miss Janet Phillips, daughter of former Representative and Mrs. Phillips of Pennsylvania, ...

He was a commercial secretary at the British embassy,  apparently on an honorary basis,  during the inter-war years,  and served as a personal assistant to the ambassador during the Second World War.

Google mentions a son of this marriage called Frederick and a daughter Leandra.  Frederick apparently went on to have a son of his own on whom he bestowed the family's distinctive forename:  per the IHGS's Andrews Newspaper Index (made available via Anc***try.com),  this announcement was made (in the London Times?) on 11 January 1954:
MCCORMICK-GOODHART. --  On Dec. 21, 1953, at Lexington, Virginia, to MARITA, wife of FREDERICK PHILLIPS MCCORMICK-GOODHART -- a son (LEANDER JAMES)

This child may have become the father of a family mentioned in this online obituary of Dr Richard Granville Starr (d. 2004) in an alumni journal,  listing relations who included
his daughter, Stephanie McCormick-Goodhart and husband, Leander, and their children, Emma, Anna and Leander Goodhart III, all of St. Mary's County, Md..

Leander McCormick-Goodhart senior (the diplomat and genealogist) died in 1965.

His only brother was called Frederick Hamilton McCormick-Goodhart,  and per Hands Across the Sea he became a barrister-at-law.  His marriage is described on p.92 of the book [image 2_92a] --
Our younger son, Hamilton, was married to Miss Gladys Silvani Smith, daughter of Charles Edward Smith, of San Antonio, Texas, U. S. A., on May 4, 1912, at St. Nicholas, Shepperton.  The wedding was a quiet one in a small country church on a bend of the river Thames.  An ideal spot for tying the true lovers' knot!

Unfortunately,  as the cold all-seeing eye of Google reveals,  a dozen years on the true lovers had fallen out -- and Hamilton's disappointed wife (now his English wife) blamed Henrietta to such a degree that she filed a law-suit against her under one of the US "alienation of affection" statutes:
Wash***ton Post          28 April 1925,  p.8      

SUES FOR LOSS OF LOVE OF M'CORMICK-GOODHART

English Wife Asks $200,000 From Her Mother-in-Law at Chillum, Md.

Chicago, April 27. -- Suit for $200,000 for alienation of affections was filed today by Mrs. Gladys McCormick-Goodhart, English wife of F. Hamilton McCormick-Goodhart, against her mother-in-law, Mrs. Nettie McCormick-Goodhart, who now lives near Washington, D.C.

A cutting marked "1925" in MS,  perhaps from a Chicago newspaper and loose at the back of the copy of Hands Across the Sea reproduced on the Anc***ry.com site,  amplifies the story:
Blaming her mother-in-law for her marital troubles, Mrs Gladys Smith McCormick-Goodhart, of Walton-on-Thames, Surrey county, England, filed the praecipe of a $200,000 suit against Mrs. Nettie McCormick-Goodhart, her husband's mother, yesterday in the Circuit court here.

[The couple] were married in England in 1912 and separated in 1921.  In a divorce suit filed two years ago, McCormick-Goodhart declared his wife was guilty of desertion. Five months later, at his request, the suit was dismissed.

... It was said that [Nettie M-G] had discouraged the romance from its inception.

The birth of a Leander H McCormick-Goodhart was registered in Kensington RD, Q2 1919.  (This is probably the Leander Hamilton,  son of the above couple,  whose birth is mentioned in Hands Across the Sea.)

According to the US National Register of Historic Places article (cited in Reply 2 above),  "Frederick Hamilton McCormick-Goodhart died at a young age in Washington in December 1938."

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Scaptain

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 02:25 GMT (UK) »
You mentioned Leandra and Frederick McCormick-Goodhart, children of Leander McC.-G.(diplomat, genealogist). Both are living. Frederick McCormick-Goodhart has 9 children (One of whom is Leander James, living, childless). Leandra (living) has 2.

Leander (diplomat/genealogist) was divorced from wife Janet in the 1940s(?), remarried, and had 2 children: Henrietta and Leander.  Stephanie is Leander's wife.  Henrietta's married name is Burke.

From family oral history, and not mentioned in 'Hands across the Sea', Henrietta and Frederick (referring to the newly-American married couple, and not the half-siblings) built Langley Park, in Maryland, US, to honor/replicate some if not many architectural features of the estate at Langley Park, Kent.

As a direct descendant, I am wildly curious about the possible Jewish ancestry of the German Guthardts, and the Star of David on the rainwater hoppers.  If these were photographed at Langley Court, it has nothing to do with the McC.-G. family estate.
  Langley Park in England was quite large, and it makes sense that an architect and artisans would have been commissioned. Again, was this the estate from which pictures of the hoppers were located? Were were the rainwater hopper photographs taken prior to 1913?

Assuming that there is some validity to the family oral history (about the similarity of the English and subsequent U.S. estate, here is a link to the the Maryland, U.S. mansion (which was sold in the 40s and is now a Latin-American cultural center called 'Casa de Maryland'") http://www.developeronline.com/sawyer-realty-donates-mansion/  Detailed interior images of the mansion, and distant exterior images can be found online.

Offline JasperMzee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Emanuel Goodhart and McCormick-Goodharts
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 January 11 13:32 GMT (UK) »
The Goodhart family tree created by H C N Goodhart does not appear, per se, on the internet. I have been in touch with the author who, being in his 90s, has given responsibility for its data to his nephew and no longer is developing it. It was a dynamic publication and I have a version printed in 1985 - probably about as up-to-date as it ever got before being passed on.

In the short introduction Nicholas Goodhart acknowledges that it is based on the "large amount of research done by Leander McCormick-Goodhart over the greater part of his life" so its links to the trees identified in the earlier postings become clear. He also clearly identifies specific limitations to his work - namely that it is limited to holders the Goodhart name and where that is changed, to McCormick-Goodhart for example, only one further generation is explored. It also means that the female lines are not explored. However, in the age before search engines and the internet such limitations are necessary - I find that the female lines are of equal significance to an appreciation of the overall family.

The new data owner is still working and will not be in a position to look at the tree until year after next so we will have to bide our time to find what further data is available.

I have no further concrete information on the German roots of the family but have a couple of observations. Within 20 years of Emanuel Goodhart (Jakob Emanuel Goodhart in the family tree) coming to England he is recognised as a major sugar baker with his own factory and within the same time has married Charlotte Imson who "came to England with George I" (A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland enjoying territorial possessions or high official rank: By John Burke). I deduce that his German family must have had some money and standing and this does not fit well with the Guthardt coopers though does NOT rule them out.

If there is any information still in existence on the Goodhart roots I wonder whether it may survive in the committee papers of Emanuel Goodhart's application to Parliament for Naturalisation in 1784. The Journal of the House of Lords (Emmanuel Goodhart naturalisation. Vol. 37, July 1784, pp 11-20) mentions such papers but does not elucidate. More research needed! Any input would be appreciated!

Lastly, turning to the McCormick family (though a little peripheral), I have a modern reprint of a family tree/book called "Family Record and Biography" by Leander James McCormick. This contains poor echoes of what may have been wonderful family portraits in the original publication. Has anyone seen the original? A similar observation applied to the "Hands Across the Sea" abstract at Ancestry.com - there are original plates in the book, including a portrait of Emanuel Goodhart and Langley Court that are wonderful and add much to family history's bare bones.
UK Goodharts, the Moresby Family, Shetland Spences

Offline Margie505

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 November 11 05:34 GMT (UK) »
I just found a piece of paper with notes from my German mother who has passed on in the meantime.
Her grandfather, my great-grandfather, was a Theodor Guthardt, born in Kassel/Germany on 12.11.1877. He married a Berta Rubeau, born 10.7.1879. They had a son and a daughter, possibly more children. The son was named Johann Guthardt and emigrated to the United States in the early 1920's. The story is that he became quite wealthy. He had children who were all born in the US. During the WWII he even sent care packages to the remaining family in Germany. After that, all connections broke off and nobody knows what happened to him or his children and where they actually lived in the US.
Could there be some connection to your story? ::)

Offline Theodore7

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Just today, I started to investigate my family tree and by some good fortune found this fascinating thread - a great deal of information to take in!

I am a direct descendant of Charles Emanuel Goodhart and I have a copy of the family tree 15 August 1955 and also 'Hands Across the Sea'. I would be very grateful if anyone could let me have a copy (electronic or hard) of the later family trees that are mentioned. Equally, if anyone wants scanned images from 'Hands Across the Sea', I would be happy to oblige.

I'm sorry that I do not have any new insights to add to the postings but thank you to all of you who have added to my family knowledge thus far!

Offline markbery

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I have been investigating the occupants of the Manor House in Upper Tooting, London and know that Jacob Goodhart a sugar refiner lived in the house although he is listed as a freehold land proprietor. A short piece is covered by Graham Gower, a local historian for the Historic Parish of Streatham in London in his book on  Tooting Bec. The Goodhart's moved to Mount Ephraim Lane in Streatham after the Manor House was demolished in 1894. I have a picture of the Manor House. I do not post on this site normally and if anyone wants the picture please contact me (markbery@hotmail.com)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 January 19 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Jacob Goodhart's will shows him at Manor House Tooting, 1852 and 1855.

The earliest Goodhart sugar refining reference I have is from the Sun Fire Office records - 1771 E Goodhart sugarhouse & dwelling house, Tites Alley, Narrow St, Limehouse, insured £200.
By 1777 he, in partnership with Willick, insured another sugarhouse in Wellclose Square for £2500.

Much more info regarding Emanuel (2), Jacob, Joseph, Charles Emanuel and their sugar refining businesses in Limehouse, Wellclose Sq, Breezers Hill, Pennington St, Ratcliff Highway at  www.mawer.clara.net/sugarggoy.html
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 January 19 11:16 GMT (UK) »
markbery
Welcome to Rootschat.  May I suggest you delete your email address from your post ... Rootschat has a Personal Message service (the second icon below your details on the left) for us to contact each other privately and safely. You need 3 posts in order for this to work, so just reply to this message a couple of times and it will be available to you.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017