Author Topic: COMPLETED - Burial look up Joseph Conder 1753 Cambridge  (Read 7252 times)

Offline dentony1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Burial look up Joseph Conder 1753 Cambridge
« on: Wednesday 01 December 10 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Wish to verify that an entry in IGI records is accurate so wondering if someone would have access to the parish records for Cambridge, Cambridgeshire.

Baptism of Joseph Conder, son of John & Susan on 02 NOV 1745  at Independent, Cambridge, Cambridge, England

Entry includes burial on June 10, 1753.  There is no parish place name entered for the burial so I'd like to verify it was at the same church if possible.  Also what is actually written for the burial ie. son of....  age perhaps.

Also, if I'm not asking too much, curious to know if either the baptism or burial include the fact the father was a Church Minister/Reverend. 

Regards
Debra

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial look up Joseph Conder 1753 Cambridge
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 December 10 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Dr John Conder was the minister at Cambridge Downing St Independent Chapel from 27 Sept 1739 to 1761. I cannot see the baptism mentioned (or indeed of any Conder), nor a burial in 1753 on the NBI, but it's an extracted entry on the IGI so should be accurate. More after the school run!

There's another church in Cambridge called The Independent Church of John Conder, with his pastoral work commencing the same day as mentioned above

Conder events:
2 (4?) Nov 1745 baptism Joseph, son of John & Susan born 20 Oct, died 10 Jun 1752*
30 Jun 1748 baptised William Jabez, 3rd son John & Susan. Born 29 May, quarter after 6 in ye morning, being Lords Day, dead
29 Nov 1750 Thomas my 4th son born 14 Oct
31 May 1753 Joseph my 5th son born 11 May
31 Mar 1756 Samuel my 6th son born 21 Mar
1 Dec 1761 James my 7th son born 22 Oct

* The NBI shows a burial at Croydon cum Clopton, Cambs of Joseph Conder on 12 June 1752. You need to check the parish register to see if he's described as son of John & Susan. I think it's the first time that I've seen an incorrect date on an extracted IGI entry!

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline dentony1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 December 10 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David.

I thought the same about the extract being accurate too.  Interested to see if you can find anything else.
We have documents that prove our ancestor, Joseph Conder born 1784 in Ipswich, Suffolk, was the son of Joseph Conder & Elizabeth Jones.  We know his mother died at Leatherhead, Surrey in 1825 but are having a really hard time trying to find the father's ancestor and were told he could be a descendant of Rev John.
We orginally had a birthdate of 1745 in Cambridge for "our" Joseph but then one of us discovered the death & that changed everything.  The birth would fit nicely without the death though.
According the the Rev's bio he had his youngest son James in 1761 (Mile End, M/sex) and 6 other sons.  According to an IGI member entry he married Susanna circa 1744, this fits with an article we found which also mentioned the 7 sons (no names though) & that the wife was the daughter of Mr John Findell of Ipswich, again without stating her christian name.  What throws a spanner in the works is James' IGI entry states mother as Sarah.

Such fun!!

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 December 10 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I amended my original reply while you were typing your response

David

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 December 10 07:35 GMT (UK) »
The John Conder marriage on the IGI is nothing but a guess, so can be safely ignored. If William Jabez was the 3rd son, was Joseph the first or the second? Would put back the marriage if he was the second

David

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 December 10 07:55 GMT (UK) »
FreeReg shows the Joseph buried 12 June 1752 at Croydon cum Clopton as being the son of John & Susannah. As it was John Conder who wrote the death detail in the church register which ties up with the burial in Croydon cum Clopton I think you can regard it as pretty conclusive that he couldn't have been your Joseph who married Elizabeth Jones.

I had wondered if the mystery second son might have been another Joseph but as he would have been born in 1747 latest and as Joseph didn't die until 1752 I ruled out this possibility

David

Offline dentony1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 December 10 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

Sorry I've confused you with all the Joseph's.  There's one in every generation of this family and some!
Pretty sure when I go back further I'll find the Reverend had a brother named Joseph too.

Now that you have proven to us there were two sons of the reverend named Joseph then it is definite the one born in 1753 married Elizabeth Jones in 1782.
It was their son, Joseph, who was born in 1784.

So we have a death for the son born 1745, his burial at C-cum-C in 1752, birth of "our" Joseph in 1745 but still no death found for him, and birth of Joseph in 1784, who died  1843 in Belgium.

There's 3 of us doing this tree and one of them asked me to say to you "Thank you for a great birthday present".  She was the one who found the death in 1753 and questioned our research, so she was very happy yesterday to have it all proven correct on her birthday.  (or incorrect in the case of the IGI record).
It was even better that the Reverend actually wrote which number each of his sons was & that the entries we'd found with just Susan as the mother were Susanna.  We also had not found a death for William Jabez, the 3rd son, so to see his father had written deceased on the christening entry was also informative.  Presume he too is buried at C-cum-C.

Once again, thank you so much for all this wonderful information
kind regards
Debra

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED - Burial look up Joseph Conder 1753 Cambridge
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 December 10 14:28 GMT (UK) »
From Boyds marriage index.

1743 / CONDER  JN / FLINDELL  SUS  /IPSWICH, ST NICHOLAS / SUFFOLK 
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dentony1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED - Burial look up Joseph Conder 1753 Cambridge
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 December 10 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for this information.  I had just a week ago managed to put the Susannah together with a surname, Flindel or Flindell (spelling varies) and presumed them to have married circa 1744 and probably in Ipswich so you have confirmed all this.

Kind regards
Debra