Author Topic: Refresh - David KEDDIE and Margaret Wilson Couper Vic/WA  (Read 12136 times)

Offline jamison

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David KEDDIE Fife Scotland - 1825
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 03 August 14 14:11 BST (UK) »

Just looking for this KEDDIE - any information to him and his family would be great.

Ther is also a Robert Kiddie (Keddie) Born 30 OCT 1826  Christened  28 NOV 1826   Ceres, Fife, Scotland Thomas Keddie & Christina Brown

Jamison

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: David KEDDIE Fife Scotland - 1825
« Reply #28 on: Monday 04 August 14 03:00 BST (UK) »

Just looking for this KEDDIE - any information to him and his family would be great.

Ther is also a Robert Kiddie (Keddie) Born 30 OCT 1826  Christened  28 NOV 1826   Ceres, Fife, Scotland Thomas Keddie & Christina Brown

Jamison

Sidsmith already gave you the following info

David Keddie died 1882 age 49 at Beranyon Victoria  Father Thomas Keddie & Christina Brown

regards
Sid

Do you have a copy of that death cert?   The Vic BDMs can be downloaded immediately by using your plastic card.  The reference no. for the above dc is #4515

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=purchaseImage

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Spence_David

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Refresh - David KEDDIE and Margaret Wilson Couper Vic/WA
« Reply #29 on: Friday 01 March 19 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all on this search.
All of you are trying to piece together David Keddie, who travelled to Australia on board the "Negotiator" in 1857, and his family and ancestors etc.
His parents were Thomas Keddie and Christina Brown, married in 1822. David was born on 16th April 1825 in Ceres, Fife. He travelled to Australia with his uncle, John Keddie (born 1800) and John's second wife Margaret Herd and the 5 youngest of John's children from his first marriage to Janet Ritchie. John and Janet had 10 children in all.
When David went to Australia he left behind in Fife a son John (born 1854) he had to Mary Paton (they were never married). Its a long story. John was brought up by Thomas Keddie, his grandfather, and his second wife Elizabeth Kirk. (Mary Paton died in 1859).
Young John later married Elizabeth Angus in 1894. Elizabeth Angus had 3 sons prior to marrying John and they later had one daughter and 3 more boys when married. One of their boys was called David. This David was my grandfather. I was called after him.

Offline jamison

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 01 March 19 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear David
Wow, l would have never thought - as nothing is mentioned in Australian records of another family.
I descend from David’s daughter Jessie (my great grandmother).
That would make our grandfathers half 1st cousins.
I knew about his family coming out to Australia and that his father married an Elizabeth Kirk.
I have a picture of Thomas and Elizabeth’s head stone in Fife, Scotland.
I don’t know anything of David’s brother Robert or what happened to his mother Christina Brown !!
Cheers and thanks for getting in touch.
Jamison

Offline Spence_David

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 03 March 19 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Jamison
I have no information on Robert except his DOB as 18/11/1826 in Ceres, Fife.
Thomas Keddie's first wife Christina Brown died on 10th April 1834 at Chance Inn where they lived. Chance Inn (not an Inn) was the name of a small hamlet of houses near Ceres.
If I have my facts correct the headstone you have a photo of for Thomas Keddie and Elizabeth should show that they died within 3 days of each other. 25th Nov and 28th Nov 1879. Death record says they are age 82 and 84. It also says they died of old age.
Their address at death is given as Springfield. Its near where they lived. In Springfield at that time there was what was known as Fife and Kinross District Asylum. This may have operated as a workhouse for the poor as well. They may have ended their days there. At their age they are unlikely to have been fit for work and therefore may have had no income. I have no proof of this however. I hope the above is of some use.
Dave

Offline jamison

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 03 March 19 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave
Thanks for getting back to me.
They were old for the time and l guess one could not live without the other.
I guess then they has no children of their own.
Just a question about the son David left behind.
Was he know as a Keddie or Paton ?
I found Christina’s date of death today while searching Scotlandspeople.
Thanks for getting in contact and a bit more of the story of the Keddies.
Jamison

Offline Spence_David

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 03 March 19 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Jamison
Thomas and Elizabeth had a son William born in 1839? They had married in 1837.
David's son John was a Keddie.
All of the Keddies in Fife were farm workers/labourers for generations. So it doesn't surprise me that David eventually becomes a farmer in Australia. It was in his genes.
In the 1850's farm mechanisation was coming in and the land owners did not need so many labourers. So in some ways getting rid of them was a problem. Supported passage to foreign lands was one solution. Hence David and his relatives end up in Astralia.
Mary would not have been allowed to go for a number of reasons. She was an unmarried mother. John was only 3 and there was a good chance that he would not have survived the journey. Mary had contracted TB in 1857 (and died from it in 1859) another reason she couldn't travel.
Dave

Offline jamison

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 03 March 19 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Dave
Thanks for the info. as it puts things in perspective about David’s parents and his situation.
Do you know who Christian’s - David’s mother - parents were, as just a matter of interest.
The Keddies are a large family to research.
Jamison

Offline Spence_David

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 03 March 19 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Jamison
I know there are a lot of Keddies. But there are a lot more Browns. Have tried to find Christina's parents but the number of Browns are just mind boggling. The most likely places to find them are possibly in St Andrews, Fife or Crail, Fife. There are family connections to those places for the Browns.
Strange thing is that Thomas Keddie's parents are James Keddie and Elspeth Brown married in St Andrews in 1788. So Christina could be a distant (hopefully) relative of Thomas mother Elspeth.
Remember in your search that sometimes Christina is recorded as Christian etc. You need to try both.
Also you won't find a birth for John Keddie. But from kirk session records I know its around October or November of 1854.
Hope thats useful.
Dave