Author Topic: "Darths" or "Barths Lodge", Potters Bar/South Mimms  (Read 3768 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
"Darths" or "Barths Lodge", Potters Bar/South Mimms
« on: Friday 03 December 10 09:44 GMT (UK) »
I hope this is on the right board, I wasn't sure whether to post on Middlesex or here  :-\

I have the baptism of Thomas WELCH in 1835 at St John the Baptist, Potters Bar.  The place of abode is shown as what looks like Darths or Barths Lodge (I suspect it's "Darths" as the first letter doesn't match the first letter of "Bailiff" which is father's occupation).

Has anyone any idea where this place is/was? 

James WELCH (father) does not appear in the 1841 census, but Mary (mother) and the children are living in Mutton Lane, Potters Bar.

Any ideas would be very welcome :)

Cheers
Prue

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Darths" or "Barths Lodge", Potters Bar/South Mimms
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 December 10 10:29 GMT (UK) »
I think I've answered my own question  :)

Had a look at an old map (online) on the offchance that I might see something...found a place called "Darkes Lodge".  I think this may be what is written on the baptism register ("Darks").

I'd still like to know what the place is/was, if anyone has any info  :)

Cheers
Prue

Offline alimag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 December 10 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue
          If you google old maps of littleheath potters bar it mentions darkes lodge, i also think it was used during the war.

regards alan

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 December 10 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

"British history" has
(http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=26972&strquery=darkes)

The estate called Darkes, which lay in the north of the parish, was possibly connected in the later 14th century with John Derk, a collier. (fn. 30) In 1490 John Fortescue sold it to a kinsman, Sir John Fortescue M.P. of Ponsbourne (Herts.), who died in 1500. (fn. 31) Henry Fortescue conveyed the property, then comprising 150 a., to William Stanford in 1553. (fn. 32) By 1604 the Stanfords had sold it, (fn. 33) together with the advowson of South Mimms vicarage, (fn. 34) to Thomas Marsh, clerk to the Court of Star Chamber. (fn. 35) Thereafter it descended with the advowson of the vicarage (fn. 36) until 1796, when it was purchased by John Hunter from the trustees of William Parker Hammond. The estate, consisting of 230 a., (fn. 37) was later sold by Thomas Hunter to Thomas Willson (d. 1817) (fn. 38) and was still held by the Willson family in 1842, although leased out to Richard Stevens. (fn. 39) In 1973 part of the estate was occupied by Potters Bar golf club. (fn. 40) A moated house stood on the west side of Darkes Lane in 1594. (fn. 41) It was pulled down in 1830 and replaced by Darkes Farm, which was demolished c. 1956. (fn. 42)

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 December 10 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both  :)

I shall take all that info on board and see what else I can find out about the place.

Cheers
Prue