Author Topic: Disappearance of #Sydney Greenwood Help  (Read 5548 times)

Offline violet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Disappearance of #Sydney Greenwood Help
« on: Saturday 04 December 10 15:37 GMT (UK) »
 Still Looking for Sidney Greenwood b1888 Bethnall Green.  Disappeared 1932/33.  Have managed to get this date from the Electoral Rolls of Lambeth.  After Sidney came out of the army he lived at 25 Rosetta Street. Lambeth with his wife Helena his children and members of her family.  In 1932 Sidney was at home in 1933 he had gone and she had a lodger William Dennis Baldwin whom she married in 1936.

Sydney is supposed to have been run over by a tram.  Have tried to obtain a death cert without any success.  The GRO say that there is not one on there records.   Can anyone suggest how I might get coroners report because if he died in an accident then there should have been an inquest or perhaps a report in the paper.

Many Thanks

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Disappearance of #Sydney Greenwood Help
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 December 10 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If there had been an inquest there would be a death certificate.

Did his wife state she was a widow when she married in 1936?   Could there have been a divorce?   Did Sidney/Sydney have another name that he might have used?

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline violet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 December 10 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes she did say she was a widow on her marriage cert in 1936.  I thought that she may have used the seven year rule and claimed thatshe thought he was dead but as he was on the 1932 electoral roll so that ruled out that theory. She also remained at 25 Rosetta Stret until her death. 

As far as we know Sydney did not use any other name.

I paid the GRO to do a trace through their records and they came up with nothing.

The only other info I have is that he was a bully and a drunk and was a hairdresser/barber journeyman.

Regards
Pat

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 December 10 20:13 GMT (UK) »
hey violet,
this is a long shot. as your chap was ex army, assuming that he had a pension it should be possible to check when his pension ceased, this could then be your in to finding the date of his demise (assuming that gro did not research this for you) tony.

uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.
scotland: mcavoy

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 December 10 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

In the absence of a death certificate I wonder if he  "did a runner" and the tram death story was a cover.     :-\

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 December 10 20:46 GMT (UK) »
violet
i just checked freebmd.org and found two references to marriage between 1908 and 1925

se greenwood dec 1914 spouse maiden name waller chelsea 1a 1003
s greenwood 1916 spouse hayes fulham 1a 716

the site also throws up a number of s greenwoods who died after 1932 around the country but care is needed regarding the dates relating to his possible age (1880 to say 1951 would be 63ish give or take taking into account numerous errors that occur in transcription.)  worth a look if you haven't already done so. tony
uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.

Offline violet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 December 10 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Re Army Pension would he have qualified for a pension as he was called up re 1914/18 war?

If you think he did where do I go to find out further info?

I also think he may have done "a runner" but she married within 3 years of his disappearance.  Sidney and Helena Greenwood were on the electoral roll at 25 Rosetta Street  prior to 1924 so were well established in the area they also had relations living with them.  Neighbours would have known if the story was true?

Would she not have moved if it was a "story".

Pat

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 December 10 23:20 GMT (UK) »
hi pat
let me have a butchers at army records and if i find anything i'll post it. tony

Offline GreenwoJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Looking 'everywhere' for the family
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

Is this Sidney Edward GREENWOOD, born about 1867, that you're interested in?

Chat soon.
Greenwood, Boeg, Fernee, Walker, Urquhart