Author Topic: Knowler family  (Read 17910 times)

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Knowler family
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 26 July 12 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi'
Just browsing and spotted that Faversham was not mentioned the Town has had  Knowler's living there for a few hundred years,one noted is a Thomas Knowler Mayor 1688 who gave two alms-houses to two poor widows in Tanner Street in the presentation of the heirs of John Knowler Esq,if it may be of help.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hi I also have Knowlers in Chilham and wonder if there is any connection with anyone researching Knowlers here. My line starts with Henry Knowler who married Hester [or Esther] Packman in 1669 in Chilham. They had 7 children that I know of [although the Wills of Henry and Hester mention others]:

Elizabeth b 1670 Chilham
Margaret b 1672 Chilham d before 1673 Chilham
Margaret b 1673 Chilham
Hannah b 1674 Chilham
Satales b 1678 Chilham
Samuel b 1678 Chilham
William b 1680 Chilham

Samuel married Sarah Hyron [accirding to the IGI but this could be a mistranscription!] at Canterbury on 11 January 1699.  They also had 7 children including another Samuel b1717 from who I dececnd.

MAtt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 02:07 GMT (UK) »
I have found two graves at Chilham Churchyard which you may be interested in. a John Knowler and two wives called Sarah and a Samuel and sarah Knowler.

Hi there

I have just come across this post while looking to see if anyone can photograph some graves in Chilham churchyard for me. This is an exciting find as the Knowlers are among my ancestors, and I suspect these ones are my ancestors. Do you have photos of the graves and if so would you be able to email me copies? When did Samuel, John and the two Sarah Knowlers died? There are several Samuel and Sarah Knowlers in my direct line so I will have to check who this relates to.

Anyhow I hope you can help
Best Wishes
Matthew (Excited!)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Just getting back into my family history after a lapse of some 8 years.  My line stem from Chilham then back to John(1420) i have always found a lot of confusion round the Chilham Knowler's, with the early rich ones and then my line but intermingled with my line is some other Knowlers that at the moment can't figure out, but now i am retired hope to make some headway.

If i can be of any help please ask, as i have loads of info on unconnected Knowler's mostly from Kent.

I was born and bred in Kent and still here.

Anyway i wish you all a happy New Year.

Hi there

Just read your message with interest. I have three generations of Knowler ancestors in Chilham back in the 17th and 18th century and would very much be interested in any information which can take them back further.

Do you have a family tree for the Knowlers which you can send me? Hopefully we can share our information on the family.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Matthew

Offline Foad Family Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Just in case it is useful, I photographed many readable stones in St Mary's Chilham on the upper section, lower to be done
Suzannah

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16810493@N06/sets/72157630542721680/
FOAD, All
PETTMAN - All
CONACHY, All
BUNNY - All
BRIDGLAND, CHAPMAN, Hawkshurst, Goudhurst & Cranbrook)
MORLEY, GIBBS, Sussex, Clapham, Wandsworth, Streatham
KNIGHT, KEMP, ROYLE, RIDGWAY, Salford, Leeds
MORFEY, FIELD - Rye and Ramsgate
PHILPOTT, GOODWIN, Herne, Whitstable & Blean
Interested in ALL Margate & Whitstable, Kent surnames.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Just in case it is useful, I photographed many readable stones in St Mary's Chilham on the upper section, lower to be done
Suzannah

Hi

Thanks for the link, those are brilliant photos. I have already found my ancestors graves! Is there any chance you would be able to send me copies as I would love to see/read the inscriptions and have photos of my ancestors graves.

I went to Chilham several years ago when I started tracing my family tree but I didn't realise I had so many Chilham ancestors then lol!. Do you have a list of names mentioned on the memorials you have photographed?

Anyhow thanks again for the link and it would be great if I could get copies of some of the images.

Best Wishes

Matthew

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Suzannah

Hi

Thanks for the link, those are brilliant photos. I have already found my ancestors graves! Is there any chance you would be able to send me copies as I would love to see/read the inscriptions and have photos of my ancestors graves.

I went to Chilham several years ago when I started tracing my family tree but I didn't realise I had so many Chilham ancestors then lol!. Do you have a list of names mentioned on the memorials you have photographed?

Anyhow thanks again for the link and it would be great if I could get copies of some of the images.

Best Wishes

Matthew

Just found out how to make the images bigger lol. Will it be ok to get copies of the ones relating to my ancestors?

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Suzannah

Wow I found two ancestral graves in a few seconds!

Do you have a transcription of what is on the grave of Henry Knowler (husband of Frances and Esther)? I can make most out in the photo but not all of it. I hope you can help.

Matt

Many thanks again.

Offline Foad Family Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 18 November 13 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Sadly all I could make out...

Here lyeth the body of Henry Knowler, husband of Frances and Esther Knowler by ?????? children ????? by his second
FOAD, All
PETTMAN - All
CONACHY, All
BUNNY - All
BRIDGLAND, CHAPMAN, Hawkshurst, Goudhurst & Cranbrook)
MORLEY, GIBBS, Sussex, Clapham, Wandsworth, Streatham
KNIGHT, KEMP, ROYLE, RIDGWAY, Salford, Leeds
MORFEY, FIELD - Rye and Ramsgate
PHILPOTT, GOODWIN, Herne, Whitstable & Blean
Interested in ALL Margate & Whitstable, Kent surnames.