Author Topic: Harrold's of Limerick  (Read 8223 times)

Offline Nora42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harrold's of Limerick
« on: Tuesday 07 December 10 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
i have managed to find my grandmother on the 1901 census, she did not live with her parents and brothers and sisters but with her cousins.
It is the parents of these cousins, and Mary's grandparents  that I would like to find. I know know census records survive before 1901 but would there be church baptism records?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Limerick/Broadford/Barnagarrane/1509047/

Harrold’s without Mary who would have been 8  in 1901

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Limerick/Kilmeedy/Cloonpasteen/1510332/

Mary Harrold with the cousins another family of Harrolds. In 1901

I do not know where to begin to look so maybe someone can help me out.

Mary my grandmother was moved away for poking the baby in the eye - all seems a little harsh to me but maybe it was normal then.

thanks in advance
Nora

Harold Co.Limerick . Mary

William Major 1834 Norwich - mystery man

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Harrold's of Limerick
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Depending on the dates you are interested in you could start your search by checking civil records. These cover births, marriages and deaths from 1864 (and non-Catholic marriages from 1845). For earlier dates you will need parish records, and to do this you need to work out which RC parish in Co. Limerick the baptism or marriages took place.

see :  Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 09:03 GMT (UK) »
there's a possible match on the extracted familysearch records for some of the cousins living with Mary in Cloonpasteen townland.

John Harrold / 29 Nov 1866 / Feenagh, Co. Limerick / Ref. 638
  Edward Harrold / 17 Jan 1869 / Fenagh, Co. Limerick / Ref. 669
  Daniel Harrold /  21 Feb 1872 / Feenagh, Co. Limerick / Ref 707
  Thomas Harrold / 30 Oct 1874 / Ireland / Ref v 20 p 535

There are a few other possible siblings included in the same on the same collection.

Parents to all the above : John Harrold / Margaret Connors

I am not certain of the exact location of the the townland of Cloonpasteen at the moment, but Feenagh is in the same general area of south Co. Limerick as a town named Kilmeedy - which is the name of the Electoral District (DED), mentioned on the census for Cloonpasteen. The other townland you mentioned, Barnagarrane, is about 13 km further south.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 April 11 12:52 BST (UK) »
HARROLD, JAMES. Rank: Pte. Regiment or Service: Connaught Rangers. Unit; 1st Battalion. Date of Death:26-April-1915. Age at Death,28. Service No:8681.
Born in Limerick. Enlisted in Tralee while living in Limerick. Killed in Action. After his death his effects and property were received by;- Mrs Harrold, Limerick. Grave or Memorial Reference: Has no known grave but is commemorated on the Addenda Panel of the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial in Belgium.

Offline Nora42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 April 11 14:12 BST (UK) »
thank you Shane for those referances

@I am a little cofused as to dates as the ages of all these people seem to differ on both the 1901 and 1911 census.

John Harrold / 29 Nov 1866 / Feenagh, Co. Limerick / Ref. 638
  Edward Harrold / 17 Jan 1869 / Fenagh, Co. Limerick / Ref. 669
  Daniel Harrold /  21 Feb 1872 / Feenagh, Co. Limerick / Ref 707
  Thomas Harrold / 30 Oct 1874 / Ireland / Ref v 20 p 535

and then again here - although I don't doubt that these must be my ancestors. lol

so as far as i can tell
michael 1858, margaret 1863 or 1866, john 1866 or 1868, daniel 1871,72 or 74, thomas 1874 or 76,eliza 1869 or 1879 edward or edmund 1869.

these were all bothers and sisters

I am assuming that all this discrepancy in dates is quite normal?
thanks once again
Nora

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 April 11 14:15 BST (UK) »
discrepancy in ages are quite common .. especially on census returns and death certs

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline Nora42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 April 11 22:08 BST (UK) »
HARROLD, JAMES. Rank: Pte. Regiment or Service: Connaught Rangers. Unit; 1st Battalion. Date of Death:26-April-1915. Age at Death,28. Service No:8681.
Born in Limerick. Enlisted in Tralee while living in Limerick. Killed in Action. After his death his effects and property were received by;- Mrs Harrold, Limerick. Grave or Memorial Reference: Has no known grave but is commemorated on the Addenda Panel of the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial in Belgium.

thank you for this sad information  I am not sure he was one of my Harrolds but guess he could have been related
Nora 42

Offline Sean Peyton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Norah42,
I have some information on the Harrold/Harold families of Kilmeedy, Cloonpasten and Broadford which may help.
As your search is several years old I wonder if it is still active.
Please let me know and we can progress the search if still ongoing.
Regards,
Sean.

Offline Nora42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 October 21 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Sean,

i have finally logged back in and would be very grateful to hear more about this family, sorry for the long delay. Hope it's not too late  Roots chat would not come up on my firefox browser. i saw my brother yesterday and he had printed off the information about our Grandmother Mary Ita. He told me he didnt know who Nora42 was but thought he and i may be relate to them.

best regards
Nora