Author Topic: William Monk Baptism - 18th Century  (Read 5471 times)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Monk Baptism - 18th Century
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 December 10 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hollywell Lane connects to Shoreditch High Street, (where the Mary on that trial got robbed). On the other side of the road connecting to the HighStreet, via Cock Alley, is Cock Lane, which she also mentions in the trial, and part of that road is in St Leonards Shoreditch parish, part in St Matthews Bethnal Green. At that time 1760-80, the majority of 'Bethnal Greeners' did live around Cock Lane, and the surrounding roads which later became the 'Old Nichol' rookeries, so St Leonard's church was right on their doorstep. Nearer than their actual parish church St Matthews. So families using both is very common .

If he put bachelor on his wedding cert to Mary Worton though that does seem to point against it being the same couple. I would  have thought the three younger children are more likely to be from the second of the two marriages and to William Monk and Mary Worton given the dates, but may be impossible to know that for certain, given the baptisms at St Matthews are rarely very detailed.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 December 10 14:25 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look for deaths of a Mary Monk in 1765/1766 but can't find anything.
You're right, most probably, in saying we'll never know.

I shall continue with the hunt for William's baptism. I'm sure it will be in one of these churches somewhere.

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 December 10 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Been looking at the London Lives site, and have thought of a possible line to go down. If Mary Worton was the only Mary then they would have had Edward a year before marrying and could possibly be in the List of Securities for the Maintenance of Bastard Children. Not sure how viable this is but will have a look anyway. I think it only applies to a certain parish anyway.

Offline grannysnow

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 November 11 12:12 GMT (UK) »
I have a William Monk born 1737 and baptised 1737 St Sepulchre Holborn, London, England.   He married an Ann Best in 1778 (he was a widower she a widow) in Hackney and they had a son William born 19 May 1781 and baptised on the 3 June at St Leonard Shorditch, Middlesex, England.  On is birth certificate his mother is given as Ann.   

William Monk's parents were Thomas Monk and Margaret but have no more information.

This is my first posting on any form so I hope it helps.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 December 11 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Greetings to Ryan and all Monks family.

I have been stuck on the ancestry of John MONKS (born c1808) a Spitalfields silk weaver who married Elizabeth LARCHER in 1828. Their son William and his sons were ropemakers.

Does he perchance link to your research?
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 December 11 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes Philip, you won't be surprised to know that I'm stuck there too :'(

Barefoot, Barley, Bedborough, Benett, Blandy, Brown, Clements, Doucett, Fisher, Franklin, Goodchild, Greenwood, Heath, Horwood, Osmond, Westbury: Berks/Berks and Wilts.

Woodhouse: Montgomeryshire

Booth, Braddock, Drabble, Hatton, Henshaw, Whitehead: Tameside and Cheshire

Offline Gary Barnett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 January 23 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am researching a William Monk who died in Whitechapel in 1856. According to his age as shown on the 1841 and 1851 censuses he was born in 1801.

This William Monk was a horse  slaughterer (a ‘knacker’) and some of my ancestors apparently worked for him.

The St Sepulchre birth intrigues me because that is near Smithfield market and prior to 1855 it was a major centre of horse slaughtering.