Author Topic: Family Peram or Perram or Perham  (Read 8260 times)

Offline DonaldP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Peram or Perram or Perham
« on: Wednesday 08 December 10 22:14 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandfather Thomas Peram or Perram or Perham, great grandmother Eliza plus children Caroline, Giles, Elizabeth, Luke (my grandfather) & William are said to have arrived at Launceston on the barque Arab from London on 15 Jan 1841. I have found only three passengers recorded. Presumably my family were assisted immigrants, traveled steerage and didn't rate a mention.
Is there any way I can verify that the Perham family were on this vessel and this voyage?

Don Perham

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family Peram or Perram or Perham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 December 10 14:23 GMT (UK) »
As you mention there are only three named passengers on barque Arab arrived Launceston 15/1/1841 :-\

Here's the link, left hand side a short cut for passenger names - had a quick look but I can see no Perham or variations of the name  :( 

There's also a help link which may be able to offer you some assistance

http://www.blaxland.com/ozships/

:)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DonaldP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 December 10 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Ladyhawk.
I may be barking up the wrong tree.
Previous work by others interested in Perham history, gave me Arab but also gave the year for the Launceston arrival as 1842.
When I checked the 1841 census and found no trace, I thought they must have left earlier so finding that the Launceston Courier recorded the arrival, stay and departure of barque Arab during the early part of 1841, I thought that that must have been the one.
Ozships doesn't list Arab for this nor that I can find for another visit to Launceston in 1842.
What is the link to the left that you give? UK National Archives? I live in Croydon (South London) so could go there if they have passenger lists or anything else that would be useful to pin this down.

Offline XXXX

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 December 10 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donald,

On the Tasmanian Unknown Arrivals List (Swimmers), a party by the name of “Joan” appears to be  searching for possibly the same family - link below for details.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~austashs/immig/unkno_p.htm

Best wishes,

Janet.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 December 10 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello DonaldP

The links to the left are shortcuts to the Ozship site

under shortcuts
click arrivals
you will see the page displayed 'Vessels arriving by year'
schroll down to year 1840
click date range 1840 Nov. 19 to 1841 Mar 17
page will show list of vessels by date, port of arrival & name ship
schroll down 1841 Jan 15th port launceston ship Arab
click name of ship 'Arab' for more details

if you follow the same process above you will find
Arab arrived Launceston 1842 March 31 - 282 passengers
(the passenger names are not listed )

There are many different named ships arriving at Launceston at different times, example between 1842 Mar 14th - 1843 Feb 15th there were around 11.

You could look at each one individually you may get lucky and find your family or first you may want to try Janet666 link

I don't know if this is linked with the national archives, you could contact the person who has put all this info. together there is a contact name under the help section 'asking for help'.
Sorry I can't be of more help    :(

Good luck, if you find anything do let us know  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DonaldP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 December 10 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet,

Charlotte was born in Tasmania, child no. 8 of Thomas & Eliza. My grandfather Luke was no. 4 born at Ashcott, Somerset, April 1837. This is the line I am focused on.

Back in June 2005 when I last got interested, I found a thread by Loren Boyd of Victoria - email at the time (*) - and in it she says that Charlotte was her great-grandmother. born/baptised Little Hampton, Longford, Tas. 23 Dec 1845, died 15 July 1930 Hawera, NZ. (at about the same as my age!).

Would you please pass this info on to Joan.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline DonaldP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 December 10 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Dear Ladyhawk,

Many thanks again for your help.
Looking at the entries for the vessels that arrived in Launceston, none that I have seen have the emigrants/steerage passengers listed.
So I think I'll give up on this and accept that someone in the past somehow got the name of the vessel - Arab - and the year - 1842. And also that the family somehow got missed in the 1841 census unless I've got that wrong
So I'll take the departure of Arab from London 07 Nov 1841 with 104 passengers and 198 immigrants and 5 births & 3 deaths, arrival at Launceston  30/31 Mar/01 Apr 1842 as the most likely and accept it. It fits well.
Back in the 80s when I was spending time in Tasmania, I remember looking at the Tasmania phone directory and not finding even one Perham listed - all had flitted to NZ or the Mainland. I know how my grandfather Luke got to NZ in 1859 - it's recounted in Maurice Shadbolt's book "One of Ben's - A Tribe Transported".
Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Don Perham

Offline XXXX

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 December 10 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Don,

You should be able to make contact with "Joan" directly yourself to continue your research.

Just click on the link that was provided,
Scroll down to Perham,
Click on Joan,
An email form should pop up for you to complete.

All the best,

Janet.

Offline DonaldP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 December 10 12:05 GMT (UK) »
As a PS - So much for the 1841 census! I thought I'd check on it and the 1851 one as well.

Thomas Peram's parents, alive at the time and living in Ashcott, Somerset presumably, were also not recorded.
They were still alive for the 1851 census, hadn't left the country so still at Ashcott, are not recorded in that either!

Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics.