Author Topic: Isabella Hood 1858 Ettrick  (Read 3591 times)

Offline parakeet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Hood 1858 Ettrick
« on: Thursday 09 December 10 16:29 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone with access to the birth records in Ettrick could check something for me please?

Isabella Hood born 1857/8 in Ettrick was the daughter of George Hood and Jane/Jean Laidlaw. They emigrated to Canada in 1870. There is quite a lot of information on Ancestry - links etc. A lot of the links call Isabella, Isabella Stark Hood. I cannot find any evidence of this. She only calls herself Isabella on her marriage certificate.

I am wondering if it is something on the birth certificate or have some people got two Isabella Hoods mixed up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

best wishes

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Hood 1858 Ettrick
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 December 10 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Parakeet

A good place to check, given the period that you are looking at, is on IGI at www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

Isabella's birth shows there on 29 DEC 1858 Ettrick, Selkirk, no mention of a middle name on the birth registration. Also details of siblings' christening and births, from 1851 to 1864. The image of the actual birth cert for Isabella is available to download on the pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heedrapper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 December 10 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Her birth entry shows her as Isabella Hood, same parents as you previously say. Father described as Parochial Teacher. If you care to PM me with you email address I will sent you a copy of her cert.
SCOTLAND:
Rose of Kilravock,
Roses in Peebles-shire,
Roses in Aberdeenshire

Offline heedrapper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 December 10 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Also did a check of OPR for Ettrick......
16/02/1851 HOOD. CATHERINE JANE,   GEORGE HOOD/JANE LAIDLAW   FR341 F ETTRICK /SELKIRK
13/06/1852 HOOD. JOHN                      GEORGE HOOD/JANE LAIDLAW FR344 M ETTRICK /SELKIRK
09/04/1854 HOOD.  MARY WHITEHEAD GEORGE HOOD/JANE LAIDLAW FR345 F ETTRICK /SELKIRK

Looks like this family did move to Canada, in 1871 they are living in Morris, Huron North, Ont.
SCOTLAND:
Rose of Kilravock,
Roses in Peebles-shire,
Roses in Aberdeenshire

Offline heedrapper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 December 10 16:01 GMT (UK) »
She married Albert Thomas Cole on 16 Oct 1879, and an unsourced entry in Ancesrty lists her death as 5 May 1950, in Ontario, Canada. The same person lists a sourced death for Albert as 29 Dec 1923. I'm now checking to see if  she married a Stark in her widowhood.
SCOTLAND:
Rose of Kilravock,
Roses in Peebles-shire,
Roses in Aberdeenshire

Offline heedrapper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 December 10 16:13 GMT (UK) »
You are correct, Parakeet, there is a flaw in that Ancestry Tree.
They show a marriage (correctly) to Albert Thomas Cole, son of Daniel Cole and Dorcas Cole, but the Albert Thomas Cole who is listed in the same tree as having died on 29 Dec 1923, is the son of John Cole and Mary McCorkindale, both of England.
SCOTLAND:
Rose of Kilravock,
Roses in Peebles-shire,
Roses in Aberdeenshire

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 December 10 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline parakeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 December 10 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to everyone who has replied and offered valuable help.  I have quite a lot of information about Isabella in Canada but the "Stark"  always bothered me.

I have been much less successful with Isabella's grandfather: Gideon Hood, who went to Argyll from Roxburghshire sometime in the 1850s. He just disappears after the 1861 census, although I can find everything about his other son Thomas.

Anyway someone once sent me some absolutely stunning photos of the area he lived in in Argyll so it was worth it!

best wishes

Jacqueline