Author Topic: Fieldstaff/Hughes: Staffs./Derbys.  (Read 2502 times)

Offline susieroe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fieldstaff/Hughes: Staffs./Derbys.
« on: Friday 10 December 10 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone- first post!
I've been researching a friend's family and it seemed 'different' to any I've researched before. I suspected gypsies, travellers etc., but when I told my friend I was having trouble he mentioned that his mother had said: "you know there are Romanys in the family".

So, has anyone heard of the Fieldstaffs please? George Fieldstaff was born at Uttoxeter about 1791. He was a labourer/ hawker and seems to have kept a lodging house there in Smithy Lane. His lodgers were an assortment of hawkers, pedlars, boatmen, labourers. In fact, the whole street and one next to it abound with these people as well as besom makers, china dealers, etc. He and wife Maria Brough lived there until 1861 at least. As they don't seem to have travelled, are they really Romanies?
There are no Fieldstaffs before George. None anywhere else.

His daughter, Elizabeth, ran away, I think, with Thomas Hughes. I suspect he was already married to a Uttoxeter girl (who was a hawker). Thomas was a tin-man, brazier and coppersmith. He was born about 1812 in either Burton on Trent or Church Broughton in Derbyshire. Missing on the 1841 census.  Elizabeth Fieldstaff, now calling herself Hughes, had children with Thomas at Uttoxeter, Ashby de la Zouch, Cheadle, Stafford and Burton. 3 of the children were baptised at the RC church at Rugely. But they are at the same address in 1851 and 1861.

They had a son, Thomas Fieldstaff Hughes, born 1862 at Burton. He was a a bricklayer, and was called 'The Black Prince'. That sounds as if he was a boxer, maybe at fairs?

Does any of this ring bells with anyone? Sorry if it's not clear,I've got lots of dates and names but thought that was enough for one post!

Roe,Wells, Bent, Kemp, Weston
Bruin, Gillam, Hurd/Heard, Timson, All in Leicestershire. Keats (Kates)

https://ourkeatsfamilystory.blogspot.com/

Offline Tracy Cullen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fieldstaff/Hughes: Staffs./Derbys.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 December 17 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to resurrect an old post but my family line goes back to Elizabeth Fieldstaff and Thomas Hughes.  I am finding very little information about this family and there do not seem to be any  Fieldstaffs before 1796.  Does anyone have any idea where this name originated?

Offline susieroe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 December 17 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Tracy, welcome to Rootschat.  :)  Your question exercised my mind a lot at the time, but I never came to a conclusion. The nearest I could get was that there were Fields families in Uttoxeter. I wondered if he'd originated from Wales and added 'taff' for the river. Sounds far-fetched but I was trying to think laterally at the time!
Roe,Wells, Bent, Kemp, Weston
Bruin, Gillam, Hurd/Heard, Timson, All in Leicestershire. Keats (Kates)

https://ourkeatsfamilystory.blogspot.com/

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 December 17 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello to you both.

Did you know Maria Brough was Georges 2nd Wife?
They were both* Widowed when they married 17 Jan 1825.

Georges 1st Wife appears to be a Elizabeth buried 30 Aug 1824 age 28

Baptisms of George/Elizabeth's children;
ELIZABETH 27 Mar 1821
WILLIAM 11 Dec 1823
Georges Occp was a Labourer

GEORGE was buried 23 Aug 1864 age 75 (1789)
MARIA was buried 07 Jun 1870 age 84 (1786)

Possible burial for Marias 1st Husband
JOSEPH Brough 13 Dec 1824 age 34

All above info on FreeREG and took place at St Mary the Virgin, Uttoxeter

Sorry if you already have all of this.

Just a note;
There are Fieldhouse/Fieldsteads in Uttoxeter in the right time frame for George.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Tracy Cullen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 December 17 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both.  It has given me more to think about.  My family come from George and his first wife, Elizabeth.   I just found it rather odd that there were not many Fieldstaffs and a worldwide search brought up nothing more than I had already seen.   The fields taff idea could be plausible, I like the idea.  Fields is a traveller name although George seems to have remained pretty static.  Fieldstaff and Fieldstead...I can see similar sounding names altered over time. 

I had a hard time locating my 2nd great grandmother, Isabella Hughes.  She was registered with the surname Hewes and her mothers name as Feelstaff... :D 

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 December 17 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Quote;
I had a hard time locating my 2nd great grandmother, Isabella Hughes.  She was registered with the surname Hewes and her mothers name as Feelstaf

The pleasures of genealogy Tracey ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)