Author Topic: Cottonera hospital malta  (Read 14559 times)

Offline postylady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cottonera hospital malta
« on: Friday 10 December 10 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Can anyone tell me if there are any hospital records and if there are, where I can aquire them. My 2x great grandma died of burns and shock in 1888 on 22nd May. The death cert states that the informant resided at Cottenera Hospital, and that the death was registered on 24 May at the cottonera police station Malta, was this the norm?

Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance

Smith, Brumhead, Broomhead, Bromehead, Thompson, Cooper, Goodison, Wankley, Wankling

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cottonera hospital malta
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 16:48 GMT (UK) »
hello posty
have you tried googling cottonera hosp only there are several sites in which the name crops up it was at around the time your looking at an army hosp i believe if i,ve read things right worth a look for a bit of an insight to the place if nothing else  , also try these 2 sites  www.barbsnow.net/malta.htm  and www.kindredtrails.com/malta.htmlyou may find a way forward from either of these i do hope so .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline postylady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 December 10 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Treevor

Thanks for the links, will have a look when I have a bit of time. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Have a nice Christmas

Regards

Smith, Brumhead, Broomhead, Bromehead, Thompson, Cooper, Goodison, Wankley, Wankling

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 December 10 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Posty,

It seems to me that records in Malta, if they have survived, don't seem very easy to access.  There just doesn't seem to be the same interest in genealogy here as in the UK.

This website has quite a few indexes and it might be worth you having a look through or even contacting the owner of the website for advice.

http://website.lineone.net/~stephaniebidmead/second.htm

I live in Malta and although I am unable to answer your question if you do make some progress and need someone "on the ground" as it were, please contact me and I will do my best to help.

Merry Christmas  :)

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline postylady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 December 10 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Luzzu

Thanks for the link and the offer if I need someone on the ground, I never thought of asking the owner of the web site.

Thanks again and I may be in touch in the future, if by any chance I get a lead.

Thanks and have a nice Christmas :)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 December 10 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi again  :).

It seems like Cottonera Hospital was one of the military hospitals so was your 2 x gt grandma a wife or daughter of a service man?

http://geociti.es/HotSprings/2615/medhist/hospital3.htm

There is a maritime museum at Cottonera now and if you had a link to the Royal Navy it might be worth contacting them.

http://www.visitmalta.com/the-maritime-museum

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline postylady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 December 10 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Luzzu

Yes, she was the wife of my 2xgreatgrandad.  I have his army number, on her death certificate, he was a master gunner in the royal artillery.

I got in touch with the owner of the web site, like you suggested and they replied to me today, it's negative news though, there are no hospital records available in Malta, practically 100% of any documents relating to the british era were brought back to the UK. Suggested I might try National Archives in Kew website.

So will try that, and thanks again for info

All the best to you for the new year

Regards

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 December 10 18:51 GMT (UK) »
hello postylady
if you care to post up his name and number and birthdate and place of birth if you know them i,ll have a look for a service record for him
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 December 10 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

That's a shame but I wish you luck in finding what you are looking for.

I have just been looking to see if Malta Police hold an archive or similar for something else I am researching and came across a snippet that might interest you.

You mentioned the death being registered at the local police station.  Apparently the police had a number of subsidiary duties apart from upholding the law.  They sold stamps and had to register incoming and outgoing mail and when the telephone was introduced to Malta they were installed at the police stations.  So they acted like a post office up until 1921.  The police were also responsible for street cleansing in the four cities and  right up until the early 20th century gave out awards to people who brought them dead rats (to do with controlling plague).  It seems like a police station at the end of the 19th century was the centre of the community.

So if does seem that registering a death at a police station would have been a normal thing to do.

The Public Registry in Malta was set up in 1889 although Army births, marriages and deaths were registered through the GRO.

Best wishes for the New Year.

Luzzu