Author Topic: Beechholme School, Banstead, Surrey  (Read 7897 times)

Offline Vilma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beechholme School, Banstead, Surrey
« on: Saturday 11 December 10 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any relative that were at Beechholme School in Banstead, Surrey in the early 1900s?  My Dad and uncle were there at this time and I would be happy to get anymore info.
Vilma

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Beechholme School, Banstead, Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 December 10 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vilma

You have posted on the Surrey Resources board. I'll move your post to the main Surrey board where it will be seen by Rootschatters who may be able to help you.

Regards

Valda
co-moderator Surrey board
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vilma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 December 10 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Valda

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 December 10 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Banstead Cottage Homes were renamed Beechholme in 1951 and was run by Kensington & Chelsea School District.

If you go to the Workhouse website and put Beechholme in the search engine in the top left hand corner, you will find plenty of information and photographs.

The London Metropolitan Archives hold the actual records (details on the website).

The Workhouse website also links to this website exclusively on Beechholme

http://users.tpg.com.au/peliot/beech.html

You can also obtain a book 'Beechholme A Children's Village' from the Banstead History Research Group

http://www.bansteadhistory.com/

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamil Hatib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 September 11 10:50 BST (UK) »
HI, MY NAME IS J.D. NICHOLAS AND I ATTENDED BEECHHOLME BETWEEN 1958 TO AROUND 1965. WHILE THERE I WENT BY THE NAME OF JAMIL HATIB. ALSO WHILE THERE MY PASSION WAS ALWAYS MUSIC BUT I REALLY DIDN'T HAVE AN OUTLET FOR IT THERE OR MUCH ENCOURAGEMENT FROM ANYONE, BUT MANY YEARS LATER WHEN I MOVED TO THE U.S. I BECAME A MEMBER OF THE COMMODORES AND HAVE BEEN THE CO-LEAD VOCALIST FOR THE PAST 26 YEARS AND WE CONTINUE TO RECORD AND TOUR THE WORLD. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO MAY HAVE BEEN THERE DURING THE SAME TIME AS ME AND WHO MAY REMEMBER ME, I STAYED AT BEECH HOUSE FOR A WHILE AND THEN WAS MOVED TO HAZEL HOUSE.

Offline Jamil Hatib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 07:32 BST (UK) »
I ordered "Beechholme A Children's Village" sent to me over here in Las Vegas, Nevada USA and I loved it!!!, It brought back many bittersweet memories and the photos also made me smile, (well some of them anyway!..lol) I recognized many of the people in them. Thank you. J.D. The Commodores.

Offline Roger Armstrong

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 December 15 00:26 GMT (UK) »
 Hi, my name is Roger Armstrong. I was a resident in Beechholme childrens home between February 1956 and August 1962. i was a contributor to the book Beechholme a Childrens Village. The home was indeed almost a self-contained and self-sufficient village with its own primary school, church, laundry, gymnasium, swimming pool, tailor and boot menders, library, hospital, offices, playing fields, and farmland for growing produce. Although treatment of the children was sometimes harsh and cruel, generally one learned to keep out of trouble and there was a good deal of freedom to explore the surrounding countryside. Children attended outside secondary schools when they reached age 11 and could also visit surrounding towns like Sutton, Cheam, Epsom and Carshalton where we went to the pictures. We would also hitch lifts or walk to such places as Burgh Heath Ponds or Colley Hill for recreation.

Offline Chris773

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 February 18 19:14 GMT (UK) »
You might be interested to know that some shocking allegations of abuse are currently being looked into by the authorities in the UK - check out https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5286994/beecholme-childrens-home-banstead-surrey-abuse-torture-staff/

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I am well aware although I only suffered physical abuse and cruelty, and then only initially. Generally the home was well run and a wonderful place to grow up, but as with any large institution there were a few rotten apples whose predatory behaviour spoilt its reputation.

Posted on behalf of Roger who sent me the message in error.
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk