Author Topic: Allingham,where?  (Read 12739 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Allingham,where?
« on: Monday 13 December 10 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I am following the Line of Crawford Allingham who married my GG grandmother's youngest daughter in Scotland.I have his father Thomas and his grandfather Crawford born about 1837 Ireland.His father James born Ireland about 1810 married Elisabeth Hurst in Ireland about 1835.All I have is Ireland,is there any site I could look at to try and find where in Ireland?

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Allingham,where?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 December 10 14:29 GMT (UK) »
To find Irish ancestors for such an early period you need to see if church records exist.
Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 December 10 15:20 GMT (UK) »
William Allingham the poet lived in Donegal:

William Allingham (19 March 1824 or 1828 - 18 November 1889) was an Irish man of letters and a poet.

He was born in Ballyshannon, County Donegal, Ireland and was the son of the manager of a local bank who was of English descent. He obtained a post in the custom-house of his native town and held several similar posts in Ireland and England until 1870, when he had retired from the service, and became sub-editor of Fraser's Magazine, which he edited from 1874 to 1879, in succession to James Froude. He had published a volume of Poems in 1850, followed by Day and Night Songs, a volume containing many charming lyrics, in 1855. Allingham was on terms of close friendship with DG Rossetti, who contributed to the illustration of the Songs. His Letters to Allingham (1854-1870) were edited by Dr. Birkbeck Hill in 1897. Lawrence Bloomfield in Ireland, his most ambitious, though not his most successful work, a narrative poem illustrative of Irish social questions, appeared in 1864. He also edited The Ballad Book for the Golden Treasury series in 1864.

In 1874 Allingham married Helen Paterson, known under her married name as a water-colour painter. He died at Hampstead in 1889, and his ashes are interred at St. Anne's in his native Ballyshannon.

Though working on an unostentatious scale, Allingham produced much excellent lyrical and descriptive poetry, and the best of his pieces are thoroughly national in spirit and local colouring. His verse is clear, fresh, and graceful.

Other works are Fifty Modern Poems (1865), Songs, Poems, and Ballads (1877), Evil May Day (1883), Blackberries (1884), Irish Songs and Poems (1887), and Varieties in Prose (1893), and, arguably his most famous work, "The Faeries" (see below).

William Allingham: a Diary (1907), edited by Mrs Allingham and D Radford, contains many interesting reminiscences of Tennyson, Carlyle and other famous contemporaries.

Some of the poems are on:

http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/poetry/TheFairies.html

Rosalie Allingham was married to John Boyle  MP for Donegal. That is Rosalie there in my icon picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Boyle_%28Donegal_politician%29

Pigots Directory 1824 Donegal

Allingham C.T. Salt Works Portnassaw Ballyshannon
Allingham Christian, Esq Nobility & Gentry Ballyshannon
Allingham Edward Tanner Willybrook Ballyshannon
Allingham Edward, Esq Nobility & Gentry Willybrook Ballyshannon
Allingham Edward, Esq Nobility & Gentry Bundoran Ballyshannon
Allingham John, Lieut,HP,Dragoons Nobility & Gentry Ballyshannon
Allingham William Merchant Park Lane Ballyshannon
Allingham William Tanner Park Lane Ballyshannon
Allingham William Wine Merchant Park Lane Ballyshannon

There is some evidence that there were  English Allinghams in Donegal as early as 1590:

http://ralphinla.rootsweb.ancestry.com/alingirl.htm

Seems they spread into surrounding counties in Ulster - several branches on this site.

Hope you find yours somewhere in that lot!

Old roots thread with a "Crawford Allingham"

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9btc6bo5uque1r9qei91jvbko2&topic=494692.0

And a James:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,498980.msg3558224.html

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 December 10 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey,thank you for those two links,very,very useful.I have two GG grandparents that I also suspect came from Ireland but am going to try and pin down the Allinghams first.At the moment I am thinking Thomas would be the one I need to track as I feel him or his father were the ones to leave Ireland.

Pastmagic,thank you for that very detailed reply,there is much to follow up on.I was very interested in your information about William Allingham as I have always had an interest in poetry and do write some myself(badly) from time to time.I had a  PM earlier that also mentioned Donegal,so maybe this is the place to start.

Thank you both again.

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 December 10 18:45 GMT (UK) »
I have just done some backtracking on a few things I knew and also had a look at some census returns.

Crawford Allingham born Torpichen Scotland 1897

Father Thomas Allingham born Armadale Scotland 1869

His father Crawford Allingham born Ireland circa 1837.
This Crawford married Isabella Brownlie(also born Ireland)
in Glasgow in 1855.In 1871 they have 6 children,Margaret,
William,Elizabeth,James,Francis and the above Thomas.

His father James Crawford was married to Elizabeth Hurst.

So now to find out whether it was James or his son Crawford
who left Ireland and where from.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 December 10 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Found your Crawford amongst the Leitrim Allinghams:
http://ralphinla.rootsweb.ancestry.com/alinglei.htm

In the Sixth Generation section. Looks like someone  in America has done the work already. Treat with caution, but he does have a lot of citations. You will be weeks checking this lot out! He gives five previous generations before Crawford.....

30. Crawford6 Allingham (James5, James4, Leitrim County3, GreatGrandson of Hugh2, Grandson of Hugh1)(107) (#7720) was born in Co. Leitrim, Ireland in 1834.(108) Crawford died in 1898 in Muiravonside, Scotland, at 64 years of age.(109)

He married Isabelle Brownlie June 3, 1859 in Calton, Scotland.(110) (Isabelle Brownlie is #7721.) Isabelle was born in 1835 in Co. Leitrim, Ireland.(111) Isabelle(112) was the daughter of John Brownlie and Unknown Given Name Mclaren. Isabelle died in 1906 in Litlitgow, Scotland, at 71 years of age.(113)

James features too:For James he has: 13. James5 Allingham (James4, Leitrim County3, GreatGrandson of Hugh2, Grandson of Hugh1)(20) (#7695) was born in Co. Leitrim, Ireland in 1795.(21) James died January 25, 1855 in Lanarkshire, Scotland, at 59 years of age.(22) PM

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pastmagic,I see what you mean,good job I have a day off tomorrow.Yes you are right,the marriage was 1859 not 1855,just deciphered it.Both fathers were deceased but both mothers alive.Isabella's mother was Margaret McLaren.Thank you very much for all that,I will have a day wading through it.

Interesting that Isabella died in Linlithgow as the mother of the woman her grandson married was born there as were many of her family.

George.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes.I noticed that too. Anyway, it looks like your Allinghams were the original Donegal ones, who moved into Leitrm. I think you should contact the owner of this tree, as his references to original PR's and land records seem very authentic, and if he was kind enough to send you copies, it would make life easier. Several places in Letrim your family came from as well to explore.  Nice, and unusual,  to find potential previous generations so well laid out and documented all at once!

The one thing I would mention is that he has misread the Griffiths valuations - the amounts were not the value of the land, but the tax to be paid by the occupier, who could be a tennant or an owner, and that he may go astray now and then on giving too much credence to some records. But generally it is a fine piece of work.

James as a weaver going to Scotland for work makes perfect sense.I wonder if it was because of the famine? Anyway, you have a lot more to go on with scotland sites, to establish when they came, if this lot checks out.

It was pure luck - I just put Crawford Allingham with his dates into google, and there he was....PM

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 December 10 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi PM,I am still wading through the info in America.I was looking for an email on there but it just gives a P.O. box and the date is 2001,so I am wondering if he will still be contactable at this number.I have quite a bit of info on the Allinghams in Scotland he doesn't seem to have that he may want.

I found two good reasons why the Allinghams would have left Leitrim for Scotland.The first was recession caused by mechanisation of the linen weaving industry.Torpichen where they settled still has some old weavers cottages.
The second was as you suggested the famine which hit the county hard.In 10 years between 1841 and 1851 Leitrim lost a fifth of it's population through emigration and more again after this period.

George.