Author Topic: Allingham,where?  (Read 15812 times)

Offline Ian Allan

• RootsChat Extra
  • James & Willie (seated) Allingham, 1916.
    • View Profile
Re: Allingham,where?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 00:14 BST (UK) »
Harder ones will be the three Wright brothers (I think there were 5,000 Wrights killed in the war). Archie Wright (Private, Royal Scots Fusiliers, 8th Bn.) died on Feb. 28, 1917. He is buried in Greece. Archie's number is 28703.  Frederick Wright (able seaman, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve) died 3 days earlier, on Feb. 25, 1917. His number is Clyde Z / 4122. The third Wright brother (Hugh) died on June 28, 1915. He was buried at sea near Gallipoli. Hugh was a private with the Royal Scots, 5th Battalion, with number 2707. Hugh is of the most interest because I only believe that info is correct; I am not certain. My dad told me the third brother was buried at sea near Gallipoli, and that name fits with the census from 1911, but it could be a different brother. The CWGC info on Hugh doesn't confirm that it's the Hugh from Glasgow who was the son of George and Jane Wright.
Allan, Wright (Glasgow & Stranraer), Allingham, Hollway, Dyett, Yeatman, Graham (Edinburgh), Hannah, Flynn, Hurst, McGarvie (Stranraer).

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 00:23 BST (UK) »
I will have a go Ian.My great gran married a Wright (Robert),his father was named Hugh,originally from Ireland I think.They had 4 kids but my grandfather came along after Robert had died.I am in touch with one of the grandsons of these first 4 kids,he's in Australia.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 00:36 BST (UK) »
Ian I have 6 pages on Archie Wright for you,including how and where he died and where he is buried.Drop an email in my Personal Message box and I will send them to you.

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 01:01 BST (UK) »
Ian it has only this on Fred.

Name - Wright,Frederick

Date of Birth - 3rd March 1897

Branch of service - Royal Navy Voluntary Reserve

Cause of Death - died from disease

Official number of port division - Clyed Z./4122

Date of death - 25th February 1917

Ship or unit - Hao Pembroke

Location of grave - Y ground 857

Name and address of cemetery - Craigton cemetery,Ibrox,Glasgow

Relation notified - father,George,79 Paisley Road,West Glasgow

I just got your email,give me a few minutes to load them and they will be with you.

George.

Offline Ian Allan

• RootsChat Extra
  • James & Willie (seated) Allingham, 1916.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 01:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I didn't know his date of birth. Nor did I know that he had died of disease. My dad knew that one of the three brothers died of sickness while on a boat, but didn't know which one.
Allan, Wright (Glasgow & Stranraer), Allingham, Hollway, Dyett, Yeatman, Graham (Edinburgh), Hannah, Flynn, Hurst, McGarvie (Stranraer).

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 01:14 BST (UK) »
Archie's have been sent Ian,let me know you get them ok.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 01:46 BST (UK) »
Haven't come across Hugh or Jimmy yet but found 4 more pages on Archie which I have sent on.One gives his birth place and another rather poignant one describes his possessions sent back to his mother.

Offline Outremer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 04 October 21 15:36 BST (UK) »
A total newbie to this site, but when searching for information on James Boyle of Dungloe and Stranorlar (1864-1936) and his wife Rosaline Allingham, I found this thread from some ten years ago.   

Though the thread was so long ago, Pastmagic posted two photos of Rosaline which I would LOVE to know more about!

There also seemed to be a suggestion that there was more information on the family of James Boyle and/or his brother John Edward Boyle on this forum somewhere ...?

Offline Outremer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 04 October 21 15:58 BST (UK) »
And now I see another page of the thread with more Boyle photos ... also posted by Pastmagic and also of great interest!