Author Topic: Arlingham - Golding / Goulding  (Read 14832 times)

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Arlingham - Golding / Goulding
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 December 10 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne - thanks for the reply.   I have had the privilege of being in contact with Annie for some time now and agree with you about her site.   Lots of info and obviously lots of effort.

Hi Annie - yes it's me.   I didn't realise the Forest of Dean site would have Gouldings as, strangely I hadn't really heard of this place until recently.   I have registered there now so will have a good look round when I get the authorisation back. 

I found the relationship for Aaron and Elisabeth just a few days ago.   Elisabeth is my 1st cousing 6 times removed.   Our common ancestor is Thomas (marr Esther Dawes) and he is my 6th ggrandfather and her grandfather.   I haven't yet got the James and Samuel you mention below so now I shall try to find out where they fit.   There are still lots of Goldings in Arlingham that I haven't managed to fit in yet so will be working on the ones I have through the holidays. 

Thanks also for offering to look through your parish record photos.    It looks like my Goldings came to Arlingham around the 1670s so would really be interested in anything you might have in your copies before 1673.  I have looked at one of the Arlington films in the FHC and found quite a few Goldings and these are the people I will be trying to tie in to my family.  However I know I missed some because the film readers were quite old and the film difficult to read in parts especially at the beginning.    Once I have worked through the others I found and tried to tie them in which, even though I know they are related isn't always easy, I will get back to you as I may definitely have some others at that stage.

On another note have you got any further back with the Pitchers or haven't you been looking for them.  I can't get back further than James b abt 1690 marr Mary Driver.    You remember the Arthur and Jane I incorrectly had as Benjamins parents - well I think I have managed to tie them back in but haven't put them back in my tree yet as a little more checking to do.

It is great to talk to you again and I do often check out your tree as well which is always helpful.   I shall go through all the gravestone photos as see what is there and thanks again for all the info.   Even if I already have it it is great to have confirmation from someone elses very thorough research.

thanks
sandra   

Goulding,  Summerhayes,  Needham,  Pitcher,  Symes,  Mulholland,  Harman,  Gear,  Lane,   Millbourne,  MacInnes,  Frost,  Hancock,  Westacott, Rice,  Peisley

Offline annieb22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Annie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 December 10 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

I'll try and take a look at my images over the next few days. Do you have a tree online that I can work from?

Re Arthur Pitcher - I have one baptized in 1739, brother of our Benjamin senior, son of James & Mary. Haven't investigated who his wife was but was this the Arthur & Jane? I've been hesitant about putting Mary's maiden name (Driver) down as, if memory serves me correctly, this marriage took place somewhere in Bristol which doesn't exactly link in with Lydney. Do you have some further evidence to support her name? I still think James Pitcher was the son of Arthur & Anne bap in Newland in 1691 but further proof would be useful. Incidentally, the old FamilySearch site had this baptism as submitted by a member but it doesn't appear on the new site. Don't know where the original data comes from.

Thanks for the John Fryer entry in your email. This is where having photos of the parish records comes in useful as he was the son of John Fryer bricklayer. There at least 3 Fryer lines running consecutively in Arlingham but our line tended to have 'of Overton' in the description.
Hibbitt, Hibbit, Newbold, Newbould - Exton, Rutland
Hibbitt - Birmingham
Ridley, Cotterill - Birmingham
Fryer, Pitcher, Rice, Taysum, Taysom, King, Longney, Worgan - Gloucestershire
Dando - Dursley & Rodborough, Glos, Bristol, London, USA
Weaver - Curry Rivel, Somerset
Arnold - Nuneaton, Warickshire
Geake, Hellyer, Hellier, Smale, Horn, Martin, Longman, Dearing, Ball - Devon
Free, Ashby, Fincham, Adams, Richardson - Hadstock & Saffron Walden, Essex
Oliver - Doncaster, Yorkshire

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 December 10 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

Thanks

Yes I do think this is the Arthur who is marr to Jane but haven't proved this yet either.   It just seems to fit.    Do you have a bap for Arthur because I can't find one.    On new FS (is this where you were talking about when you said you couldn't find it or did you mean the Pilto/Beta sites) there is a Chr of James Pitcher on 15 Sep 1691 to Arthur Pitcher and Anne.   It would be nice to find it somewhere else as well.

Re James and Mary Driver - not really.    I have been wondering as well but I cannot find any other James and Mary marriages that fitted the timeframe and I don't know where she is from - it could be Bristol so they could have married there.   I notice some trees on line have Mary Heyler but I haven't been able to find that person anywhere.   Also I just noticed that it is in NFS as my main person.   I put her in some time ago but wasn't entirely happy with it so generally just have Mary showing so not sure how it got changed around.   I left her in for the above reasons (timeframe, marriage place) but if she is going to show at any stage as the main person I will probably remove her from NFS.   On another note - in Scribes Alcove there is a Margaret marr around the same time as James and I was wondering if she were his sister.    I can't find a chr/bap for her anywhere.   

I do have a tree on line but it is far from up to date for the Goldings (only to 1745) and fortunately I have been able to spend quite a bit of time recently and have found quite a few more generations which have now been added.   Just checking a few things and will put it on line after that and will let you know and if you still have time to help that would be great.   My tree is in Rootsweb and that means it is on Ancestry as well.

Goulding,  Summerhayes,  Needham,  Pitcher,  Symes,  Mulholland,  Harman,  Gear,  Lane,   Millbourne,  MacInnes,  Frost,  Hancock,  Westacott, Rice,  Peisley

Offline annieb22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Annie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 December 10 11:15 GMT (UK) »
The 1739 baptism for Arthur came from the Forest of Dean site. He was probably the same Arthur Pitcher who witnessed the wills of William, John & Deborah Worgan in 1816 (see their biographies on my website for the details). I don't know if he's the Arthur who married Jane Higgs in Hawkesbury in 1762 or not.

The Pitchers and Worgans were closely linked. I went to the National Archives last summer and looked up a document where James Henry Worgan was suing his cousin, John Pitcher, for not having had his correct portion of the uncles' wills. The document was huge, 4 pages about 3-4 feet square. It didn't show the verdict so I don't know if John Pitcher had played fair or not.

Re the parents of James, the FOD site shows a baptism for a possible sister in 1693/4 - parents: Arthur & Ann.

Record_ID: 322445
Entry_Number: 
Year: 1694
Month: Jan
Day: 23
Parents_Surname: PITCHER
Child_Forenames: Ann
Fathers_Forenames: Arthur
Mothers_Forenames: Ann
Mothers_Surname: 
Residence: Scatterford
Officiating_Minister: 
Event: Baptism
Memoranda: 
Notes: Compiled from Latin PRs and BTs Old style date 1693/94
Register_Reference: P227 IN 1/2
Page_Number: 82
Parish_Chapel: Newland

She died in 1704.

There's a bit of an anomaly in that there's a burial in 1690 for Ann, the wife of Arthur. Maybe Arthur married another Ann but I haven't found a marriage.

Record_ID: 224170
Entry_Number: 
Year: 1690
Month: Dec
Day: 5
Surname: PITCHER
Forenames: Ann
Residence: Clowerwall
Age_at_death: 
Officiating_Minister: 
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death: 
Memoranda: wife of Arthur
Notes: Compiled from Latin PRs and BTs 
Register_Reference: P227 IN 1/2
Page_No: 73
Parish_Chapel: Newland

I can't see the 1691 James Pitcher baptism on either the new or pilot FS site but it's still on the old site but unsourced. I don't think that this alone wouldn't be proof enough that Arthur & Ann were our James' parents although I think it's likely.
Hibbitt - Birmingham

Offline annieb22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Annie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 December 10 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

I've looked through the marriages from 1641 to 1675 (there's a gap when the English Civil War was on) and can't find any Goldings. The closest I came was a Thomas Gosling of Gloucs and Elizabeth the daughter of Thomas Byck....? in 1662.

The IGI doesn't have any Goldings in Arlingham this far back either although the years are covered which tells me that the Goldings probably came from elsewhere. What is the oldest marriage in your tree in Arlingham? I'll look the image up and see if the entry indicates whether they came from another parish.

There's a baptism of Richard the son of Thomas & Mary Golding on 4 March 1675 but couldn't see anything for the few years previous. Again, IGI doesn't indicate any earlier baptisms.

There's a burial on 23 December 1668 (342 years ago today!) of 'Joice? y wife of Thomas Golding'. I think it's Joice, the page also has other people on it by the name of Joan and Jane and the writing doesn't quite look like this. I couldn't spot any other burials looking back to 1657.
Hibbitt - Birmingham

Offline rachykins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have Taysum/Taysom/e's in my family tree, the link being my G G G Grandfather, William Symonds/Simmonds/Simons who married a Sarah Taysum who was born in Arlingham in 1807.

I thought I would ask some advice as you all seem to know the Taysum's rather well!

I have been able to confirm that Sarah definitely married William through the birth certificate of Aaron (my G G Grandfather). The glos BMD index said her maiden name was definitely Taysum, and I ordered a copy of the cert to check over the details, and am sure that Sarah married my G G G Grandfather William.

I have searched all available records and have so far come up with a blank as to when and where Sarah and William may have married. I am desperately trying to find information about William, as I am hitting a brick wall with searching the Irish records. I thought that maybe a record of their marriage may give me a little more information, but have no more ideas on where to look!

Any help or suggestions gratefully received

Rachael

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 April 12 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachael

I know it has been a while (a whole year!) - but did anyone answer your query re Sarah Taysum.   Not that I can be much help.  I did search on William Simmonds (spelt every way possible) and came up with lots and lots of Sarahs but sadly no Sarah Taysum.   I hope you have managed to find her in the meantime or someone else has been able to help.  If you haven't found their marriage yet maybe some more information such as children and their birth dates, locations etc.

lyraea

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 April 12 12:07 BST (UK) »
I can recommend both the books on Arlingham mentioned they are excellent. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline annieb22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Annie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 April 12 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Just seen your message and it's reminded me to let you know that last year I managed to go further back on the Pitcher side. You may want to take another look at my site - the top of the tree now is Arthur & Ann Pitchard -  http://www.hibbitt.org.uk/familytree/fam88209.html who were parents of Arthur Pitcher/Pitchard who married Ann Ansley and these were the parents of our James.

James' brother, Arthur (1696-1770), married Jane Marshall so this is where the Arthur & Jane come in.

I still cannot absolutely corroborate that James' wife, Mary's, maiden name was Driver. However, after James died, she remarried Miles Gwinn/Gwynn and they had a son, Stephen, who died as an infant.

Cheers, Annie
Hibbitt - Birmingham