Author Topic: Actress/dramatist Gertrude L. Robins (abt. 1880-1917) - looking for birth date  (Read 13513 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Actress/dramatist Gertrude L. Robins (abt. 1880-1917) - looking for birth date
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Lady Margaret Hall - Somerville College, Oxford, was established in 1878.

True (re LMH - I think Somerville was a year later) - but at Oxford women were not allowed to matriculate as full University undergraduates & take degrees until 1920.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Actress/dramatist Gertrude L. Robins (abt. 1880-1917) - looking for birth date
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the Times Archive, Gertrude Robins was appearing in plays in the UK at the end of March 1911, and the again in Aug 1911, so it leaves quite a short window in which to go abroad.

Offline guvoko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it can not be the university... but since she said in that interview that she took "Honors in Modern Languages at Oxford" Lady Margaret Hall could be a possibility I guess. Although I (not being a native speaker) thought "Honors" are rather associated with a university...  In any case, I will check out the college, tx again!!!

BTW, I find it amazing how many replies I got. Bob, tx for pointing me to this forum!
Mainly Germany. In the UK: Jonghaus, Younghouse and descendants. Actress and dramatist Gertrude (Louisa) Robins.

Offline guvoko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 22:56 GMT (UK) »
@Spidermonkey: Hm... good point. But one of my co-researchers checked the 1911 census and he says she is definitely not there and we know that at some point she was in Italy because we have a photo (w/o date) showing her in Florence. Do you have access to the Times archive? If so, would you mind checking for an article about her death (December 1917) for me?

All the best,
Gudrun
Mainly Germany. In the UK: Jonghaus, Younghouse and descendants. Actress and dramatist Gertrude (Louisa) Robins.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Women did take Oxford examinations - some of them "home students", some resident at Royal Holloway College, south of London, and some resident in the women's "halls" (now colleges) at Oxford.  They were graded, but just didn't get degrees as a result! (They got an honours certificate available only to women).

Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 23:02 GMT (UK) »
St Ursula's Convent in Oxford admitted ladies to take a Diploma with Honours in Modern Languages.  Apparently the exam was the same as for men but a diploma, not a degree, was granted.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline guvoko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 23:12 GMT (UK) »
@Carole (and the others): you say "assistant school mistress living in Peterborough Northamptonshire which suggests a different person given the diverse occupations". We  noticed this different occupation, too.  But at that time (1901) she was just 21 years old. She might have worked as an actress on the side and might have turned her hobby into her profession a few years later. Not sure how realistic it is... too many open questions...

@avm228, @ Hackstaple: Thank you! St. Ursula's College sounds like a hit! Do you know where they might keep their old files? If not I'll try to figure out...

Greetings,
Gudrun

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 23:54 GMT (UK) »

@avm228, @ Hackstaple: Thank you! St. Ursula's College sounds like a hit! Do you know where they might keep their old files? If not I'll try to figure out...

I don't know.  She could have been there or at another Oxford hall/college or studying outside Oxford but sitting the Oxford exams.  A tough one! Unfotunately I cannot find her mentioned in the Oxford honours lists published in The Times.

Have you traced the witnesses to the 1906 marriage? Are there any possible clues there, or are they clearly on the Dawson side? How was Gertrude's father described (exactly) and what was her address at marriage?

Offline arevans777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Have you traced the witnesses to the 1906 marriage? Are there any possible clues there, or are they clearly on the Dawson side? How was Gertrude's father described (exactly) and what was her address at marriage?

John Robins is described as simply as 'Merchant."  One of the witnesses was a Frederic Robins.  John Robins (the Hat and Cap manufacturer) had a younger brother called Frederic. (same spelling without a k)  In that same year, around the same time, Frederic, who was married the year before had his first child and named her Blanche Gertrude Reardon Robins. Frederic gave all of his children the middle name of Reardon because that was the maiden name of his mother. Census records show that their mother was born in Southwark, London. But Reardon is a distinctly Irish name, and her parents may well have been Irish, which may account for the Irish references.  For me, this is fairly compelling evidence linking the schoolmistress to the actress, but by no means conclusive. Doubts persist. But if these two women are not the same person there are some incredible coincidences at play.

Gertrude Robins, (the assistant schoolmistress, at least) is my first cousin twice removed.
Evans/Llanneli - Quine/IoM - Birkett/Lancs - Holmes/Lancs - Tod/Moffat - Daniel/Bideford
Robins/London - Waddingham/Hull - Ward/St Helens - McGuire/Longford - Murphy/Cork