Author Topic: samuel HOGGARD, Budby  (Read 14101 times)

Offline purplejulian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: samuel HOGGARD, Budby
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 July 11 08:31 BST (UK) »
oh wow, all that info, just like that when for years we have not turned up anything! where did you find it?
I'm very pleased. so maybe I have cousins in Australia?
yes, I would like to check out Charles Paul. there's an interesting family story there too .... Maude Musgrave's sister Ellen married a local lad in Lincolnshire, but his parents disapproved. they were both 21 ... he died young of TB, and he left her a box, like a blanket box, the sort servants kept their belongings in. in the lining she found 100 guineas. she went to a lawyer in Sheffield to ask if this was really hers - her husband had tried to make sure she would be alright - and the clerk there was Charles Paul. with the money and presumably Charles Paul's help, she set herself up in business, a china shop and post office in Nether Hallam. that is how she was able to look after her sister and then her niece.
However, the Musgraves were quite well off anyway, being millers and farmers,  ...

Offline Red Ash

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 08 July 11 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hello.  It is exciting when you find information you have looked for for years. I would like to think that JEH finally found happiness in Australia as he seemed to have stayed with his family and in the same area.....

If you look at the voting record for 1931 all the girls were living at home under the name of Hoggard so if they married they would have married late. I have not been able to track down any grandchildren for John Edward except those through of Maude Herman.... but maybe you can post a search query on this website in the Australian section to see if any of the girls married later.... or to find out what happened to them.

Red

Offline purplejulian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 08 July 11 08:51 BST (UK) »
obviously his itinerant lifestyle must have left him living in boarding houses, lonely and as susceptible to interested young women as they were to him. the fact that he tried to marry Maude Musgrave must mean that he either had a conscience about her and the child, or was in love with her - or saw her well-to do relatives as advantageous! so you could read it as being the victim of circumstance and a little rash, or as a person who didn't care too much about the harm he did to others. but to leave his second wife with kids and start another family in Australia ... perhaps she didn't want to go, or they didn't have enough money ... but even so! are there letters somewhere, one wonders ..

Offline purplejulian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 08 July 11 12:43 BST (UK) »
Margaret Eleanor Hoggard, the first of the Australian daughters married John Harper McConnell in 1920. they had John Robert McConnell (in 1920!)and a boy, Ian Bruce, born in 1928, died the same year.
John Harper married Myrtle Minnie, but they both died in the 2000's and apparently there were no children. so I did have Hoggard cousins in Australia, but sadly, not now. it does look as if we are the only descendants left.

Offline purplejulian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 08 July 11 14:37 BST (UK) »
unless when it says living children and there are no names it means people are being coy ....

Offline HomewardGenealogy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 11 July 11 10:51 BST (UK) »
hi red ash
is it possible for you to contact me on cpower@ireland.com  i have a descendant of samuel hoggard who'd be very interested to get in touch !
regards
conan

Offline purplejulian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 11 July 11 11:02 BST (UK) »
I'm a descendant too, if you're interested, I have it down to my generation in Australia now ...

Offline HomewardGenealogy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 11 July 11 12:27 BST (UK) »
wow!  yeah, hi !  are you a descendant of john e hoggard and margaret egan then ?
my email is cpower@ireland.com

my relative is descended from samuel hoggard via his daughter lily augusta richards.

Offline purplejulian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 11 July 11 12:39 BST (UK) »
hi, no I am a descendant of J E Hoggard via his liason with Maude E Musgrave, my grandmother was Maude Herman Hartley, nee Paul (she was more or less adopted by her Aunt and uncle Paul)
I have names for great grandchildren of J E Hoggard and Margaret Egan in Australia, waiting to see what they want to do about it.