Author Topic: Southams in Egham and Surrey  (Read 3921 times)

Offline mweston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Southams in Egham and Surrey
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 27 April 22 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I can advise that William Southam/Lacey was arrested and charged with stealing metal plugs from the workhouse at Chepping Wycombe and was sentenced on 3rd March 1846.  He was held in the Gaol at Buckinghamshire till he was sentenced he was then sent to Millbank Prison.  From Millbank he was sent to the "Warrior" Hulk at Portsmouth and on 24th April 1846 was on board the Scotia along with 299 other convicts to Bermuda where they arrived on 9th June 1946.  Sadly his death is recorded as 3rd March 1849, as his wife Selina remarries in 1851 as a "Widow".  Paper trail can be found on Findmypast.

Offline tarka55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 April 22 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi there , Thankyou so much for this information, I had my suspicions that William had committed a crime and he’d changed his name to Lacey , as I found a certain person of that name, on records and he  was deported , but never dreamed it would be to Bermuda , I thought it might have been Austrailia. Thankyou so much for this information , one of my two brick walls solved! Now just need to find his father Jonathan Southam

Offline mweston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 29 April 22 00:04 BST (UK) »
Yes, we all assume that when you find a convict in the family they will end up here in Australia, but I have researched quite a few that ended up in Bermuda or Gibralter, had he not died he probably would have been sent back to the UK or if it was within the seven year sentence he would have been sent on to Australia.  If you are descendant from his daughter Sally, please be aware that she was born in 1849 and William was sentenced in March 1846 and in the 1851 census Selina is working as a "Housekeeper" along with William Augustus and Sally living with James Young

Offline tarka55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 May 22 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there , Thankyou for all your help with the Southams.
I am related to William and his son William Augustus , down that line!

If anyone else knows of Williams Father Jonathan , I would be over the moon, to find him or any information at all concerning him! Thankyou also to this kind lady , she has solved one of my brick walls, so appreciate it!👍😘