Author Topic: Silvester Shaw/Thorp/Loveridge?  (Read 7785 times)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Silvester Shaw/Thorp/Loveridge?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 December 10 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Big Jim Shaw who married Dinah Gray and had Sylvesta:

as I have it he was s/o Moses Shaw and Susanna or Sarah, and they also had:

John 1765 Gamblingay Cam, married Sarah Dover 1790 Stotfold Bdf

Moses c.1767 Mauldon Bdf married Jemima "Miney" Smith 1787 Stotfold Bdf

Elizabeth c.1769 Abington Pigotts Cam

Aaron c.1773 Shillington Bdf married Sophy Sly

Esther c.1779 Whittesford Cam

Jasper c.1781 Whittesford Cam married Sarah Smith 1800 Orwell Cam

-------------------

Next Gen:

John & Sarah Dover had:

John married Elizabeth, Maria married a Mr Parr (s/o a farmer), William married Esther Welch 1816, Fanny, Jasper, James, Aaron, John, Moses, Sarah married Neremiah Parry, and Elizabeth.

Moses & Jemima had:

William, Winnishall, Susannah, Priscilla married Christopher Smith, Mary, Moses married Fan Dimmock 1827 Steeple Morden Cam, Elizabeth, John & Sarah married Moses Harris.

Of these note Moses & Fanny Dimmock (or Frances) had a son Mendoza or Dowser abt 1827, and it is known this branch of Shaws used to stop in a field belonging to the Dimmock Family.

Aaron & Sophy had a child called Lary c.1815 East Hatley, Cam.

Jasper & Sarah had James (married Ruth), Annie, Sophia married Moses Smith 1870, Sidney, and Lawrence.

and of course. Dinah and Jim Shaw:

Silvesta married Stephen Loveridge, Cresana, Councillette married Jasper Shaw s/o William Shaw & Esther Welch, Aquila/Amelia/Acorn married James Andrews, and Susannah married Jonas Shaw, the son of Wiliam Shaw & Esther Welch.

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 December 10 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Please see this site, which includes a painting of Moses Shaw and Miney Smith, with notes. To anyone with similar shaw Ancestry Id consider it valuable. Click on the image to enlarge :)

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/online/breakingthebarriers/barriers8.htm

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 December 10 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks An65,

sorry for the delay,ive had a heavy cold all over Christmas and its really laid me low.
Ill have a much closer look early next year,

regards,

Nel.

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 December 10 13:56 GMT (UK) »
hope youre soon feeling better :) happy new yr

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 31 December 10 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,and Happy New Year to you.

Offline Simon007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 April 13 20:14 BST (UK) »
John 1765 Gamblingay Cam, married Sarah Dover 1790 Stotfold Bdf

-------------------

Next Gen:

John & Sarah Dover had:

John married Elizabeth, Maria married a Mr Parr (s/o a farmer), William married Esther Welch 1816, Fanny, Jasper, James, Aaron, John, Moses, Sarah married Neremiah Parry, and Elizabeth.

Hi An 65,

My wife's tree has a John Shaw with a wife called Sarah and sons including Aaron and Moses.  I have found a number of references on various sites to John having married Sarah Dover.  I appreciate the problems involved with identifying exact relationships with gypsy families and I can quite understand how places and dates fit to make something seem a good bet.  However, I wondered whether there was any evidence that this couple were Aaron and Moses' parents e.g. baptism records, wills (unlikely) etc.

Please don't think I doubt what you have is correct, I just wondered where I could go to find some confirmation.

Thanks, Simon   

Offline deanshaw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 July 21 21:43 BST (UK) »
 hi i was wondering if you could help with my family search.
 you have information  about the shaws , I think that it comes from a tree i have see , it has my 4 times grandparents  Cornelius and betty Shaw. but i can not work out who are their parents  if you have this Shaw pedigree , could you please have a look so i can find out whose their parents.
PS the tree starts with a Moses Shaw and wife Susannah1741 i think their kids are john Shaw and Sarah dover i think their kids are john and Elisabeth Shaw , so i need to know what relationship Cornelius and betty are.
 hope you can help
all the best Shaw

Offline JMC74

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 September 23 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi all.
I am descended from the Shaw family - My Grandads mum was a Shaw.
Many of my facts have been both researched and taken from a very old and battered family bible that was handed down to my grandad, so some of my information has come from his transcripts done before the bible became unreadable.

Silvester Shaw is my 2nd cousin 4 x removed, daughter of James Shaw and Dinah Gray.
Here is a brief tree of that part of the family...

James Shaw (my 1st cousin 5 x R) is son of Moses Shaw (b1741) and Susannah Dimmock (1744)
his siblings are:
John (1765-1834)
Moses (1767-1839)
Elizabeth (b1769)
Mary (b1771)
Aaron (b1773)
Esther (b1779)
Jasper (1781-1841)

Dinah Gray - (wife of my 1st cousin 5 x R, also MIL of two of my 3rd cousins 3 x R) is daughter of Fourness "Fowk" Gray (1755-1828) and Mary Thorpe (1758-1830)
Her siblings are:
Eleanor (b1775)
William (1775-1844)
Angelis (b1777)
Rittah (1778-1844)
Ambrose (1780-1852)
Constance (b1785)
Silvester "Silva" Charlotte (1793-1839)
Holland (1796-1828)
Thomas (b1798)
James (b1803)

James Shaw & Dinah Gray had 5 daughters:
Aquilla (1815-1900) m.James Andrews
Cresena (b1818)
Silvester (b1819) m.Stephen Loveridge
Counsellety (abt1823) m.Jasper Shaw (her 2nd cousin - Son of William Shaw and Esther Welch)
Susannah (b1826) m.Jonas Shaw (her 2nd cousin - Son of William Shaw and Esther Welch)

As you can see, already we have a complicated family tree!
There are multiple inter family marriages, multiple children to couples (my grandad was one of 22 children) but from what I know and can ascertain from the facts I have found over many years, our family was a very tight knit community. Families lived and travelled together, as well as married into these families on many occasions.

There are hundreds more people to talk about but I'll be here for eternity! Many stories and some scandals too. If anyone is interested I'd be only to happy to make a connection and share.