Author Topic: Printers and ink - costs?  (Read 6723 times)

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Printers and ink - costs?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 01 January 11 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello RedRoger

No your not too late. Any info is welcomed.
I am learning much from your postings.
Thankyou.
Jordan. Bartlett. Arnold. Beaney. Pickett. Brazil.  Huckstep. Eastwood. Potter. Dighton. French----Kent. Bucks. Essex. Sussex. London.  Kirby. Martin----Ireland.
Brewin. Gregory. Dixon. Merchant. Welsh. Leicestershire. Lincolnshire.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 01 January 11 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear it!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 01 January 11 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi falcybe,

I have followed your advice in visiting Nick29 posts and viewed the entire pages, makes for very interesting reading, made my notes, I will go back through it all again at a later date.

I truly was unaware of the ups and downs relating to printers etc..
I am so pleased to have come onto this thread as I would have definately gone out and bought one of the lower priced models, not thinking about further costs and quality.
I think you have all saved me money in the long run.

I learnt more about the Norton product which I have and due for renewal in the next couple of months.

I need to keep browsing through this topic and start to find some websites that have some printers etc to view, no I won`t be making an internet purchase.  Just for comparison.

Big thanks to you all.
Jordan. Bartlett. Arnold. Beaney. Pickett. Brazil.  Huckstep. Eastwood. Potter. Dighton. French----Kent. Bucks. Essex. Sussex. London.  Kirby. Martin----Ireland.

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 02 January 11 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Just to add something to this thread.

I`ll state firstly, that I moved away from Inkjets a few years back & purchased a Colour Laser (HP Laserjet 1600 - I now have a Samsung) it was IMHO the best decision I`ve made, so I`m biased possibly.

Why, because I found Inkjets unreliable & very expensive to run & blocked up the heads & dryed out very quickly. Yes I have used compatible carts which I found a bit hit & miss (they never seemed to last as long as manufacturers carts & quality wasnt` as good), but they are significantly cheaper.

So I went Colour Laser, which initially cost more, but long term worked out far cheaper.

Pros & Cons Inkjets v Lasers.

Inkjets.
Pros.
Cheap to buy.
Beter Photo printing.*

Cons.
Expensive to run (yes you can lessen this by using compatible carts).
Slow print outs.

Lasers.
Pros.
Consistent print-outs.
Cheaper to run than Inkjets.
Much faster than Inkjets.

Cons.
Initially more expensive.
Not so good at Photo printing.* & **

*this will depend on the quality required, Inkjets will usually give a better result using their best quality output, using manufacturers carts & manufacturers Photo paper, but Colour Lasers aren`t too shabby if you use Laser photo paper & best quality output.**

** Warning! DO NOT use Inkjet photo paper in Lasers! You need a specific Laser photo paper, I use HP`s paper, its relatively easy to obtain (but I believe it costs more than Inkjet equivalents).

As to running costs, you`ll need to consider Page yield, which I believe ALL Printer manufacturers now have to provide & follow standards for ink (ISO/IEC 24711) and color toner (ISO/IEC 19798) printer cartridge page yield measurements.

A nice explanation about yeilds is available on Lexmark`s site.
http://www1.lexmark.com/content/en_us/products/ink-toner/iso_page_yields_overview.shtml
http://www1.lexmark.com/content/en_us/products/ink-toner/iso_page_yields_overview.shtml

Now the following is based on my own knowledge.

Inkjets when they start-up use some ink to run a sort of clean cycle to flush the heads which uses Ink, Lasers don`t (they have a warm up - no toner used).
For those who remember Cars with a choke, it was used to enrich the mixture to allow the engine to start & used more fuel, so if you only used the car for a short journey you`d use more fuel, much as an Inkjet does it`s cleaning cycle.

Now me being sceptical would think that most if not ALL Inkjet manufacturers would perform the page yeild tests with only one start - not a realistic real world test, thus negating the start/stop that would lower the yeild result? Most folks would print out a few pages & then the printer would remain idle for a few days/weeks if its an Inkjet it`ll use up some of your precious Ink everytime you use it, a Laser doesn`t.

We then get down to the Carts/toner that come with the printer.

Lasers tend to come with a lower yield toner initially, I spent a while selecting which printer (my latest one) & paid a little more to ensure it came with the "High Yield Toners" 5,000 Pgs Black & 4,000 Pgs Colour.

There are a number of other things to consider.

In my case, I wanted Full Auto Duplex, Networked & carts that didn`t need replacing every 5 minutes.

Much of the above is my opinion & I`d advise anyone to consider their own needs & spend time considering what is best for them. Most of all ask questions.

Just for balance, I`ve read of many people who have used Inkjets for years using Compatible carts & had no problems. But its hard to know what their use-age is. I`ve also read about folks who have had rpoblems using compatible carts & again Inkjets that have failed after a few months. Likely as not they`ll be similar regards Lasers - though I`d guess much rarer.

Kind regards.

Steve

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 02 January 11 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Useful thoughts, thanks Steve.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 02 January 11 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thankyou Stevie, you have given me more to think about .
Very informative.