Author Topic: TANDY FAMILY  (Read 10743 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: TANDY FAMILY
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 16:44 BST (UK) »
Apologies if you already have all of this!
Marriage;
Robert TANDY/Harriet DEVEREUX, June 1857, Newent, 6a 391
By Census entries looks like Robert is the Son of Robert/Hannah Christened 1831.

1841 Census
Dymock, Glous
HO107/350/7/Dymock
Robert TANDY, 55, Ag Lab, Not born in County
Hannah, 55
John, 15, Ag Lab
Ann, 15
Robert, 9
All others born in County

1851 Census Hannah Tandy, Widow, is living with Son John and Family in Dymock, age 69?, born c 1782, Dymock.

Christening;
Hannah BURTON, 03 June 1787, Dymock, Glous to JOHN and ANN
Possible Marriage;
John BURTON/Ann BANKS, 01 November 1771, Dymock, Glous
Children;
THOMAS 1774
ELIZABETH 1776
JAMES 1778
JOSEPH 1780
VALINTINE 1782
WILLIAM, 1784
RICHARD 1785
HANNAH, 1787
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 16:53 BST (UK) »
In 1841 Robert is not born in County;
Christenings;
Robert TANDY, 11 March 1781, Much Marcle, Hereford to WILLIAM and LYDIA ;)
Lydia HARBOUR, 19 May 1751, Dymock, Glous to WILLIAM and ELIZABETH

Source of all info except Census is Familysearch Pilot

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline lesann

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 September 10 04:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish
Thanks so much for the info on my family, I'm really glad to see that we are in agreement, really appreciate your time in helping me out.
Kind regards
Lesley

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 September 10 05:00 BST (UK) »
You are welcome Lesley :)

Offline jcoffin22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, just surfing and came across this now quite old post. My great great grandfather was a William Tandy born in 1833. His family seem to have been in Great Comberton, Worcestershire, for generations. Great Comberton is a day's walk from Dymock; which may suggests different families. However, I have followed a number of different family lines and find they do move around within the large farming area, ignoring the Glocestershire/Worcester/Herefordshire borders. A kind researcher passed on some details to my aunt a few years back and if they are of any interest I will dig them out. If you come across a George Devereux, born 1843 in Dymock, I would be interested to learn more of him.
Kindest Regards
Jacqui

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacqui,
Welcome to Rootschat.
1851 Census George is the Son of WILLIAM/ANN and in 1861 an Apprentice Wheelwright/Blacksmithe.
1871 he is Married to a ANN with Children;
Elizabeth A, 5
Clara, 2
Ruth, 1

Is this the correct William?
Do you have Census entries?

Trish :)

Offline jcoffin22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 16:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish,
Wow, that was quick.
It looks likely that we are looking at he same George Devereux.
My great great grandfather was married to Anne Goode from Redmarley Worcestershire.
I'm away from home at the moment without my notes, I think my info. was from the 1881 census.
Their daughter Edith, my great grandmother, was born in 1874.
His occupation in 1881 was listed as agricultural laborour.
Regards
Jacqui

Offline lesann

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacqui
Your George Devereux is my 2 x Gt Uncle, I'm descended from his elder sister Harriett.  I have Edith in my tree but no further info on her. Would appreciate if you would share what you have and likewise as I have lots of stuff on the Devereux's.
Regards
Lesley

Offline jcoffin22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 June 11 19:04 BST (UK) »
Dear Lesley,
Edith Sophia Devereux, born Redmarley Newent Worcestershire 1874. Parents George Devereux and Anne Goode. Edith married John Dance in Newent 1894. She was widowed before the 1911 census. In 1911 she was living in Chas End Street, Berrow, Ledbury. Edith's occupation is recorded as "Laundress at Eastnor Laundry," over an hour's walk. Service at Eastnor Castle was continued by the next generation, particularly in the grounds. The census lists seven children: William (aged 15), Ada (13) Gladys (11) Beatris (10) Arthur (8) Perival (6) and Ernest (4). I remember Ada as an old lady, quite a character, living in Stensham. I think Mum knew most of them, particularly remembering her aunts Beat and Gladys. There was some question as to whether Percy was adopted. Edith's youngest daughter, Gwendoline Amanda Dance, my maternal grandmother (whom I knew well) was born at Grey Cottage Berrow, Upton on Severn, on 6th June 1913. Edith remarried in 1917, Arthur Wagstaff in Upton. She died at Strensham in 1962, just before I was born, Mum remembers her with great affection. Gwendoline Amanda married William James Bridges Selley (my grandfather, who I knew well) in 1932 in Upton. Grandpa was a gardener and agricultural worker, like many of his generation starting on the farm at the age of thirteen. Gwen and Bill had six children: Monica, Pam (died in infancy), Fredrick, Josephine, Cynthia and Yvonne. Monica, Josephine and Cynthia have children. All, excluding Pam, are still living. Grandpa moved the family to Leicestershire in 1944, just before the end of the war. He worked on the Co-Op estate; a really new idea in those days, different than working from the landowners at Eastnor. He became foreman of one of the farms and retired to Wigston in south Leicestershire. Bill  died in 1988, Gwen in 1996. I think I may have written more than I should in one message. I hope this is of some interest to you, although it moves away from your direct line. Grandpa's mother was Alice May Tandy. She was born in 1872 in Cheltenham. However her father's family seem to have been in Great Comberton Pershore Worcestershire for generations. I have been given some info. on them, if you think it may tie up with your Tandy's at all. I would be really interested in anything you have on the Devereux family. Kindest Regards Jacqui