Author Topic: Advice on Census Ref Numbers  (Read 2252 times)

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Advice on Census Ref Numbers
« on: Wednesday 13 April 05 19:24 BST (UK) »
Could SKS please explain to me how the Census Folio etc reference numbers work. Are these numbers standard for all census records? ???

For example - I have looked for an Eliza Rogers on the 1851 London Census Index disc and found someone of that name living at Grays Inn Road - 1495 290b

I have the (weighty) 1851 Census and so off I duly trot to find the disc with the 1495 data on. Fine - no problem there but when it comes to finding "290b" - what am I cross referencing this with? How do I find the relevant section?

Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Census Ref Numbers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

This page gives you examples here...

http://www.british-genealogy.com/resources/census/#pieces

Cheers,
Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 19:48 BST (UK) »
Brilliant!! Thank you very much  ;D
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 April 05 09:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that link Pam.  What a very helpful site :D

I was very interested to read this bit:-

In many cases, the original schdule was filled in by a child rather than by the head of the household. The reason is simple. During the 1800s the children went to school, or Sunday school, and learned to read and write, whereas parents (of the older generation) could often not be able to read and write.

It is a common myth that a census enumerator knocked on doors and asked who was present, and then wrote down the details, often mis-hearing, or mis-spelling. No. Sure, there may have been isolated examples of that having been done, but this is very rare!

I have come across a lot of posts (on various genealogy sites) where other researchers have assumed that the enumerators did go round the houses filling in the schedules for the families, so I was surprised to read that the enumerator's didn't!!  

We all learn something new every day!!!!!

Jan

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 April 05 10:31 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure about this as I've seen newspaper articles and stories from enumerators.

Here's an example...
http://www.digitaldesk.org/resources/census/

I think enumerators may of helped complete the returns but it was not a requirement.

It is forgotten sometimes that the image we see is a secondary source and not a primary source.

PAm
 ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart

Online intermittently!

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 April 05 12:40 BST (UK) »
It would have been nice to see our ancestors handwriting on the original census schedules, wouldn't it? 

Jan :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 April 05 13:59 BST (UK) »
Absolutely agree I read somewhere that when the 1911 census is released we will!  Is this true - can anyone confirm?

Pam
 ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~

Online intermittently!

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 April 05 15:07 BST (UK) »
Wow, that would be great.......only another 6 years to wait :'(

Hope someone reads this thread soon to confirm what Pam has said (hurry up everyone!!!!!)

Jan

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 April 05 05:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Am I allowed to post a link to another  forum on here?
 I googled to see if I could find any info about this
and came up with this  in my  googling results ,with someone else saying that they are original handwritng but they  are in terrible condition, and he's in the know - whether to believe  the poster is "in the know" is another matter though.
http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-4656.html

I  have found this  from an official source  :D : http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/operate/meetings/onlineadvisory/8jul2003.htm

scroll down to  the title - 10. Issues from Panel Members

]10.6 John Addis-Smith enquired about the 1911 census, which is due for release on the first working day of January 2012. Alison Webster stated that The National Archives is currently considering how best to proceed with the 1911 census. Matthew Woollard asked if the 1911 enumerator's books have been transferred to The National Archives by the Office for National Statistics (ONS). Alison Webster confirmed that they have been.

10.7 Kevin Schurer stated that the quality of the writing and legibility is poorer for the 1911 census. Alison Webster agreed, explaining that this was due to the fact that Heads of Households filled out their own returns and thus standards of handwriting would vary greatly.

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u