Author Topic: FLOWER family from Melksham  (Read 11541 times)

Offline Kiaya

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FLOWER family from Melksham
« on: Saturday 18 December 10 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to piece together a tree for the Flower family from Melksham.
So far I have Nicholas Flower c 1607 the son of Robert FLower 1571 and Edyth Rutte.  Robert's father was Nicholas Flower 1545 Melksham and I think he may have married Perwell Cooke in Melksham in 1570.
I would love to establish if this is correct and if possible who Nicholas' parents were as I have found conflicting trees on line.
I would be so grateful if anyone could help me.

Offline west

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: FLOWER family from Melksham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 April 12 22:11 BST (UK) »

Melksham Marriage Pr's.

Just in case you have yet to find the answer to your question.

27 Nov 1570. Nicholas Flower. (No Parish Stated) Perwell Cooke. Melksham.

West.
Wilts; Willis/Paintin;
Gloucs; Willis.Westbury on Seven.Hathaway Churcham.Sterry Westbury.
Glam; Hopkin.Daniel.Gethin.Brooks
Devon; Jackson.

Offline Kiaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 12 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Many thanks for that.

Regards, S

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 May 12 17:37 BST (UK) »
With regard to your query regarding Nicholas's parents, unfortunately the St Michael, Melksham baptism records only go back to 1568.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Kiaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 May 12 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave,
I do appreciate your reply.  I have managed to get back to a will of my Nicholas Flower dated 1485 and together with other documents from the Wiltshire archives I have pieced the family tree together from then.  I also know that the family were in Maelksham going back to the 1300's but there is a gap inbetween which I am unable to bridge and perhaps never will.

Regards, Sue

Offline yfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 03:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue
I think I might be connected to this Flower family in Melksham. Perhaps you might be able to confirm.
I have a John Flower, born Trowbridge 1687 (who married Anne) died Trowbridge 1777. His parents were James Flower and Elizabeth Passons. James' father was James father, born c 1619 Trowbridge, his father John Flower, born Oct 1584 Melksham (- I think, trying to confirm the connection).
This John Flower was married to Agnes Odlam, his parents were Robert Flower and Joan Cater, and Roberts father was John Flower born c 1515 Melksham.
There could be some errors here... does any of this tie in with your family in Melksham and/or do you have any info on these Flowers?
Many thanks
Louise

Offline Kiaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Louise,
This is interesting, you may be connected and if you are it would fillout my tree.  Your Robert may be my ancestor's brother but it is tricky because believe it or not, if their father was John 1515 from Melksham he also had a brother called JOhn born 5 years before him.
I am told that often parents would have two sons with the same name in case one of the died and they were anxious to carry on the name through the family.
I have a lot of documentary evidence about the Flowers from Melksham which I would be happy to share with you but it might be easier if you email me direct:
(*)
Regards, Sue

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Jan Kingshott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 April 13 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In your travels through the FLOWER family of Melksham, have you found any links to the FLOWER family of Corsham?

I descend from the Corsham FLOWER's.

Regards

Jan

Offline Kiaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 April 13 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,
Thanks for responding.  I have to admit that I have not looked at the Flowers in Corsham as, so far all mine seem to be in the Melksham - Semington - Steeple Ashtone and Littleton areas.  I know that there was another Flower family in Chitterne and Potterne but I am unable to make a connection with them.
I have got a copy of pages from a book called the 'Flowers of Wiltshire' which is now out of print which says the following:
Melksham Bradford, Chippenham and Corsham - Nonconformist families.
A family of barbers, some of whom were Quakers, may have originated in the ramifications of Nicholas and Christian's descendants (My ancestors form Melksham) William and Enoch emigrated to America in 1681 from Corsham; Abraham Lincoln's maternal descent has been traced to Thomas Flower the Barber of Melksham which has a baptismal entry in the parish register of Enoch, son of Thomas Flower the Barber in 1635.
A Corsham family appears in Quaker refisters and a series of nonconformist wills come from Corsham during the late 17th and 18th centuries.  This family appear to be connected  with Samuel of Chippenham, whose will was proved in 1795, as both he and Samuel of Corsham referred in their wills to relatives in Kingston St Michael.'
I have no idea if any of this makes sense to you or if you have heard of any of these names.
I am always eager to find out more about the family, so if you do find a connection I would love to know.

Regards, Sue