Author Topic: Gravestone Theresa Smith Miller Annan  (Read 3544 times)

Offline ails81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gravestone Theresa Smith Miller Annan
« on: Saturday 18 December 10 14:16 GMT (UK) »
hi all
Just wondered if anyone could help me locate a gravestone for Theresa Miller nee Smith died 1950 in Murray Street, Annan.  The online lists I have found of cemeteries around Annan I cant find her.  Does anyone know of any other ways of locating possible gravestone for her?

Thanks for any help
Aileen  :)
McIntyre and MacInnes, Argyll (mostly Glencoe, Ballachulish, Oban)
McGillivray, Robertson - Sleat, Skye
Sandilands, McNaughton - Abernethy, Perthshire
McCartney - Glasgow, Northern Ireland
Rafferty - Northern Ireland
Doig - Fife

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gravestone Theresa Smith Miller Annan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 December 10 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Aileen, not everyone has a gravestone, sometimes because of lack of funds, and sometimes because the body was cremated and scattered.   Reading your post I realised I had no idea of when cremation began to be an accepted practice in Scotland, and found this:
Scotland’s first crematorium was built in Glasgow’s Western Necropolis in 1895. Others opened in the late-1930s in Dundee, Aberdeen, Paisley, and Leith. In the 1950s and 60s municipal crematoria were built in many parts of Scotland
That might be a possibility, and only the family history and beliefs will give you a clue as whether there could have been a cremation for Theresa.  The other possibility I wondered about was where she was born?  People are sometimes taken home for burial.  I know she died in Annan, but was she from Annan?    Sorry these aren't answers, just more questions.
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline ails81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 January 11 18:56 GMT (UK) »
thanks maggie, sorry to have taken so long to respond.  she wasnt from annan, she wasnt even scottish, she was born in Darlington, Durham but I beleive her husband Albert was from Glasgow although they married in Darlington.  Quite why she was in Annan I still havent figured out and neither have I found Alberts death cert. They are a bit of a mysterious family so am just looking for any extra bits of info I can get!!
Doig - Fife

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 January 11 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Aileen, post what you have on the family here in as much detail as possible - just being careful not to mention details of anyone who might be still alive.
Let us know what brick walls you have
There are so many experts here (and I don't claim to be one of them) that though we might not find Theresa's grave for you we might find some more of your missing jigsaw.   It's definitely worth a try!
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline ails81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 January 11 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks maggie i have a long and ongoing thread on the general board so please do have a read. All help welcome!!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,500430.0.html
Doig - Fife