Author Topic: SHEEN/SHINN FAMILY  (Read 6345 times)

Offline lesann

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
SHEEN/SHINN FAMILY
« on: Thursday 03 June 04 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
Would love to hear from you if you have a SHEEN in your family, around Castlemorton/Birtsmorton or Eldersfield - sometimes spelt SHINN.
Thanks  Lesley

Offline CazL200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SHEEN/SHINN FAMILY
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 October 05 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a Joseph Sheen (b 1805 d 1883) who married Charlotte Vine (b 1801  Eldersfield, Worcester, d 12 August 1861, Laramie Albany Wyoming) in 1833. Not sure where they married yet.
Any help to you?
Gardiner's of Ledbury, Sansom's of Eastnor,  Willis's of Colwall, Hart's of Castlemorton/Holly Bush

Offline Warwickshire Bear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 October 08 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've a William Sheen b Malvern 1862 who married Charlotte Birchley b Castlemorton in 1889 does match anything you have?

steve

Offline Topsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 October 08 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have the following

Mary Sheen B. Abt 1706 Berrow Worcestershire Married Thomas White 9 Aug 1734 Birtsmorton Worcestershire

Thomas Sheen B. 1676 Berrow Worcs. Married Mary Watton 27 Nov 1701 Madresfield Worcs.

Offline Warwickshire Bear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Spotted your link, I'm trying to see if there is a link between the Berrow Sheen's and mine, I have Joseph b c1797 Ripple, his father was Richard unfortunately there are 3 different ones born around the right time all living close (in South Worcs) so I am stuck going back, have you come across mine by any chance? Steve

Offline Thaylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 23:19 GMT (UK) »
I realise this is an old post but yes! My g.g grandmother was a Julia Ann Sheen, born Redmarley, Worcs, the daughter of Wilford and Eliza Sheen (although she was registered as Robinson - her mothers maiden name. She was born c. 1862, however, Wilford and Eliza are both recorded as unmarried but living at the same address in 1861. Wilford Sheen was the son of the above Joseph and Charlotte Sheen who travelled on a mormon pioneer ship to travel to Utah. At present I haven't been able to locate a baptism for Wilford Sheen, however, he was born around the same time that Wilford Woodruff an American Mormon leader visited Herefordshire/Worcestershire. The worlds oldest mormon chapel at Gadsfield Elm, nr Staunton, Worcs is still standing and preserved by modern mormons in the area. Trying to find time to arrange an appointment to go out and see them to try and find out any more info.
Heather
Merchant, Sollis, Trapp, Wilson, Haines, Payne, Barber, Gummery/Gommery, Eckley, Sanders, Went, Beach and Sheen in the Worcestershire, Gloucestershire, Herefordshire areas
Sheens of Utah, USA, descendants of the mormon pioneers

Offline lesann

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 January 14 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather
Really great to hear from you. I've researched the Sheens quite extensively since my very first post, together with the Mormon connection. Yes, I've been to see the Chapel, but when I was there years ago it hadn't been restored. Wilfred & Eliza married at Redmarley on 31 Aug 1862. Wilfred died in 1922.  May I ask who you are descended from?  I've been in contact and had a lovely letter from one of Julia's grandsons, Wilfred Powell (aka Jim) he shares lots of memories.
Please let me know if I can be of any help, is there anything you haven't been able to find, maybe I have it, anyway, I look forward to hearing from you.
Best wishes Lesley

Offline Thaylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 January 14 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

Yes, of course, my line is through Julia's son Christopher Charles Barber, I think Wilfred is the son of Elsie Powell, nee Barber, Christopher's younger sister. Christopher had 8 children, and unfortunately his life and those of his children and grandchildren were quite traumatic and in some cases tragic. Christopher's 2nd child was Geoffrey Barber, b.1921, I am his granddaughter through his eldest daughter (5th child of 9).
Our story also has an interesting link - I am sure you have read about the Berrow Murders in which a Sheen was murdered in his bed along with a Gummery family?
It is only the descendants of Christopher Charles Barber and his wife Alice Gummery who can claim a link to all those who were murdered in the house that night!!
I have also done quite a lot of research, including the route that James Sheen and his family took across America with the handcart company. However, I keep going back and rehashing it every now and then. Having looked deeper into the American side we have some amazing connections over there, including an American Football Player, a Baseball player and the person who is responsible for coining the term the 'golden hour' following an accident and equipping ambulances with the life saving equipment that they do nowadays!
I will message you with my email address in case you wish to enquire more about my line, it would be great to hear what stories Wilfred (Jim) has, unfortunately we are no longer in contact with the wider family other than the grandson of Julia and James Barbers other son, Hubert.
Kind regards
Heather
Merchant, Sollis, Trapp, Wilson, Haines, Payne, Barber, Gummery/Gommery, Eckley, Sanders, Went, Beach and Sheen in the Worcestershire, Gloucestershire, Herefordshire areas
Sheens of Utah, USA, descendants of the mormon pioneers