Author Topic: Will translation COMPLETE  (Read 6087 times)

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will translation
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hoo,

I have had another look this morning and finished the English part.
To save space I have edited it all into Reply #24.

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 13:54 GMT (UK) »

Offline Hoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 21:50 GMT (UK) »
What progress :)

Line 17; the word 'enoiye' must mean 'enjoy'?  It would make sense.

Line 20: 'm(a)(ies)tie'   majesty would also make sense so I think that must be correct.

In both those words the letter j is missing, yet the daughter is Jennett. Did they not use the letter?

The additions/corrections you have made have finished the English part.  I've just looked up the original (photocopy) of the document and see that probate was granted on 1/10/1575 so he lived for nearly a year and a half after writing it. 

As suggested I will re-post the Latin part, but probably not until after Christmas.

Thank you one and all.  As I have written previously, I am thrilled to get this transcription, although William does not seem to have been very wealthy.  I am still looking for that distinguished ancestor, tho I suppose that if we go back enough generations we must all have an aristocrat or king somewhere in our trees and also be related to each other.  So far I have found a lot of Ag Labs., small farmers, weavers, spinners, watermen and a few paupers. Ah well....

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 23:47 GMT (UK) »

J. There wasn't, and then there was, and for a time at least, there
was precious little difference between i and j.

I believe the root of it lies in the fact that there was no j in Latin.

Offline HelenaD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Will translation COMPLETE
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 05 February 12 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I live in Bingley and am soon moving to Cullingworth.  I came across this thread when looking more into the history of the village.

I am loving the will.

For a random bit of information, the award winning butchers in Cullingworth is called "Ellisons".  They do amazing sausages!

Let me know if you want me to pop up and look at any gravestones, etc for your as I am only 3 miles away currently.

Helena

Offline Hoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 06 February 12 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helena,
I am the Ellison descendant who posted the will.  I cannot trace my ancestry directly to to the will writer, William Ellison, but I can get back certainly as far as Thomas Ellison who was born before about 1728 in Cullingworth.  As the village was very small (by 1780, 8 farmsteads and a row of tiny cottages in what is now Station Road, then Towngate) it is very likely that he is an ancestor of some sort.  I have traced the family back as far as 1378 when a Johannes Ellyson paid 4d (the rate for a married man employed in agriculture) in the Poll Tax of Richard II. 

The family were 'Yeoman Farmers' or 'good substantial men' and took over quite a bit of land in the enclosures of 1816. 

My mother always said that 'they gave their land to the Church' which caused a great deal of family upset.  It is true that in the census returns from 1841 onwards they were not listed as farmers and I think it is very likely that they did give it all away or lose it in some way. 

One of them, John Ellison (my GGG grandfather) born in 1756, who was a farmer living in Towngate, gave the Methodists a barn which was converted into a chapel which opened in 1806.  His gift was conditional on his being allocated the 'front pew of the gallery, lined with green silk and secured for his use for ever.'  I don't know where the barn was as it is not shown on the 1816 enclosure map, but a stone built chapel opened on what is now Church Street in 1824 which is now converted into two houses.

The Parish Church was opened in 1853 to try to stem the spread of nonconformism.  Before that time the inhabitants were baptised, married and buried in Bingley.  Thomas Ellison (my GG grandfather) was buried in the new churchyard in 1857 and his wife Sarah in 1861.  Their gravestone is very weathered but I would be very grateful indeed for any information you could glean from the churchyard.  He is the one who seems to be responsible for losing the land.

From the time of the first census in which the records were not destroyed (1841) I have detailed information.   There was a row of cottages listed in the later ones called 'Ellison Row' but I have not been able to pinpoint its position.  I think it may have run behind the shops where 'Ellison's Butchers is now.  I think I must be distantly related to them if they are descended from a Cullingworth family.

I have much more information than I have typed here, but it has all been collected at a distance and I have no prospect of visiting to verify things.  The Internet, Google and 'Roots' are wonderful!

Hope you enjoy living in Cullingworth.

Hoo

Offline HelenaD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Hoo,

I always knew Ellisons is quite a common name locally which was confirmed by a visit to the Cullingworth Graveyard.

We found 3 graves.

Philip Ellison 1952-1953

William Ellison who died August 10th 1910, aged 59 years.
Also of Betty Wife of the above named
William Ellison who died February 9th 1929 aged 76 years

And a final grave that we could really make out

It says:

In Memory of -------------------
----------------------------
Of Cullingworth------------------
18-----------------------
Also of Sarah W--------------------
Thomas Ellison-------------------
1861----------------------
Also of --------------------
Died Aug-----------------------

Sounds like you have lots of info already but thought I would send you this just in case.  Let me know if you need me to check anything physically for you.

Good luck in your research!

Helena

Offline HelenaD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 20:35 BST (UK) »
I forgot to say I have photos of the graves if you want me to email them, let me know.  I am not sure how to attach them on rootschat.